Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Did some today ...

I've been making small "canisters" (1/2 inch deep , 2" diameter or so ,
with a slip fit lid) out of scrap aluminum and giving them to friends . One
friend took one to a local jeweler for some engraving ... and there are now
5 of them all wrapped up and ready to be delivered to the jeweler tomorrow .
We'll see if they move , he thinks this time of year they'll probably sell
well . And be a nice little addition to the building fund .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
I've been making small "canisters" (1/2 inch deep , 2" diameter or
so , with a slip fit lid) out of scrap aluminum and giving them to
friends . One friend took one to a local jeweler for some engraving
... and there are now 5 of them all wrapped up and ready to be
delivered to the jeweler tomorrow . We'll see if they move , he
thinks this time of year they'll probably sell well . And be a nice
little addition to the building fund .

--
Snag

I've seen some nice looking small lidded containers made on machine
tools from glued exotic wood.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
I've been making small "canisters" (1/2 inch deep , 2" diameter or
so , with a slip fit lid) out of scrap aluminum and giving them to
friends . One friend took one to a local jeweler for some engraving
... and there are now 5 of them all wrapped up and ready to be
delivered to the jeweler tomorrow . We'll see if they move , he
thinks this time of year they'll probably sell well . And be a nice
little addition to the building fund .

--
Snag

I've seen some nice looking small lidded containers made on machine
tools from glued exotic wood.

I made my wife a pair of walnut/maple bracelets for Christmas a few years
back . She liked 'em . I made a living working with wood in one form or
another for most of my life , I'm into metal now ... in one way metal is
much better than wood , have you ever welded a piece back on a board you cut
too short ?

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Yes, with Weldwood.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...s/weldwood.php

I have an eraser that fixes cutting mistakes.

I just rub it on the drawing.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Heh , I hear ya . I don't draw any more , just work from the plans in my
head ... or printed from the internet . And I've used that type of glue ,
great stuff for assembling exterior raised panel doors .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news
Jim Wilkins wrote:
-jsw

Heh , I hear ya . I don't draw any more , just work from the plans
in my head ... or printed from the internet . And I've used that
type of glue , great stuff for assembling exterior raised panel
doors .

--
Snag

I don't trust that I can remember more than a few critical dimensions
correctly, so I sketch the part to record them.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 11/6/2014 2:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I've been making small "canisters" (1/2 inch deep , 2" diameter
or so , with a slip fit lid) out of scrap aluminum and giving them
to friends . One friend took one to a local jeweler for some
engraving ... and there are now 5 of them all wrapped up and ready
to be delivered to the jeweler tomorrow . We'll see if they move ,
he thinks this time of year they'll probably sell well . And be a
nice little addition to the building fund .

Pix?

A little later today on my pbucket , along with a few shots of my new toy
"Rusty" . Worked on it too , amazing what adding some hydraulic oil do ...
now I can work on the snowplow and mower deck . In that order , likely to
see snow before I need to mow .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 7 Nov 2014 07:21:08 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
On 11/6/2014 2:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I've been making small "canisters" (1/2 inch deep , 2" diameter
or so , with a slip fit lid) out of scrap aluminum and giving them
to friends . One friend took one to a local jeweler for some
engraving ... and there are now 5 of them all wrapped up and ready
to be delivered to the jeweler tomorrow . We'll see if they move ,
he thinks this time of year they'll probably sell well . And be a
nice little addition to the building fund .

Pix?

A little later today on my pbucket , along with a few shots of my new toy
"Rusty" . Worked on it too , amazing what adding some hydraulic oil do ...

Yeah, it's almost like putting the magic smoke back in an electrical
item, innit?

now I can work on the snowplow and mower deck . In that order , likely to
see snow before I need to mow .

I hear ya. Not that I'd agree. I hate that cold, wet, white crap and
am glad we seldom get it here in SoOR.

Look what Portland got a few years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyfjZlOSq2A

--
The more you know, the less you need.
-- Aboriginal Saying
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

I think we will get clobbered here this winter. I have to shovel paths
in the courtyard for the dogs to go. I think I'll build a maze and see
if they get lost.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/7/2014 8:21 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Tom Gardner wrote:
On 11/6/2014 2:45 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I've been making small "canisters" (1/2 inch deep , 2" diameter
or so , with a slip fit lid) out of scrap aluminum and giving them
to friends . One friend took one to a local jeweler for some
engraving ... and there are now 5 of them all wrapped up and ready
to be delivered to the jeweler tomorrow . We'll see if they move ,
he thinks this time of year they'll probably sell well . And be a
nice little addition to the building fund .

Pix?

A little later today on my pbucket , along with a few shots of my new toy
"Rusty" . Worked on it too , amazing what adding some hydraulic oil do ...
now I can work on the snowplow and mower deck . In that order , likely to
see snow before I need to mow .

Fun and practical projects.

Today Greg Guarino[_2_] Woodworking 2 June 16th 13 06:31 PM
Today's Odd 'un ... Arfa Daily Electronics Repair 17 October 29th 10 04:34 PM
O/T: Today Lew Hodgett[_5_] Woodworking 16 December 12th 08 02:17 PM
Easy Plug & Play System. Start Today - Profit Today! //www.online-jobs-4u.page.tl leena Home Ownership 1 August 26th 08 10:38 PM
OT; Today The Medway Handyman UK diy 0 May 4th 08 09:30 AM