Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dake press hydraulics

Here's a picture of the Dake 150 ton press that I bought.

http://goo.gl/IdH1cq

The way it works is that there is a reservoir of hydraulic fluid
surrounding the ram, below the top frame. It has a weird hydraulic
power unit on top, comprised of what seems to be a Bosch injection
pump for a 6 cylinder diesel engine, ran by a 2 HP electric motor.

The pump draws hydraulic fluid from the reservoir, pumps it into the
ram. The fluid can be bled back into the reservoir by a valve, and the
ram retracts, due to a powerful spring inside.

The injection pump has an oil fill port (for lubrication, not for
hydraulics) and was, ominously, empty of lube oil. I added enough oil.

I also re-filled the hydraulic reservoir with fluid. It was nearly
empty.

The motor ran, however the ram would barely move. It would move, very
slowly, about 1/2 of an inch, then it would stop. It would retract if
I open the release valve.

Changing the rotation of the three phase motor did not help.

At this point, I stopped and decided to ask for advice on why it is
not working.

I see the following possibilities:

1) The pump needs to be primed
2) The pump is not pumping
3) The fill port on the side is not the right port to use (I could not
find a fill port at a higher level).

Any ideas here.

I can easily replace the hydraulic pump on top, as I have a nice
hydraulic unit that is good for 5,000 PSI. So if there is no easy fix
for the top mounted unit, I can easily junk it. I wanted to know if
anyone has experience fixing such presses.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus25485" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Is there a throttle linkage to control the pump's cutoff point and
displacement volume?
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-21, Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Ignoramus25485" wrote in
message ...
[...]

There is some kind of a linkage, yes, with a lever to pull. It does
not seem to affect much, although common sense suggests that it should
control the pump.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:06:48 -0500, Ignoramus25485
wrote:

[...]

I'll bet there's some sort of prefill circuit for the cylinder. Pretty
common on large presses and machinery that cycles quickly. If your
press has such a system, there will be a smaller cylinder or cylinders
coaxial or parallel with the main ram. A coaxial cylinder may be
completely enclosed in the ram housing and not obvious externally.

For example:
http://hydraulicspneumatics.com/othe...-valves-part-2

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 19:06:48 -0500
Ignoramus25485 wrote:

snip
Any ideas here.

Dake is still around. Maybe they have a manual he

http://www.dakecorp.com/product-manuals.asp

or give them a call...

--
Leon Fisk