Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bought this 150 ton Dake press

Kind of excited

http://goo.gl/Uj3hGf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus14807 wrote:

Kind of excited

http://goo.gl/Uj3hGf

That will make a good tortilla press...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-19, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus14807 wrote:

Kind of excited

http://goo.gl/Uj3hGf

That will make a good tortilla press...

making steel tortillas out of steel chunks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 18:10:37 -0500, Ignoramus14807

On 2014-09-19, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus14807 wrote:

Kind of excited

http://goo.gl/Uj3hGf

That will make a good tortilla press...

making steel tortillas out of steel chunks

I would make a good mangle for pressing your pants, but it would be
hell on buttons.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus14807 wrote:
Kind of excited

http://goo.gl/Uj3hGf

That will make a good tortilla press...

I was thinking a cider press myself...

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

How much does it weigh?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-20, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
How much does it weigh?

No idea, maybe 3,000 lbs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/19/2014 5:57 PM, Ignoramus14807 wrote:
Kind of excited

http://goo.gl/Uj3hGf

Electric motor and transmission on top ! Wow
What a baby that one is.

Any thing come with it - dies or plates ?

What color are you thinking of painting it - looks
like it is varnish oil coated now.

Think of some bad ass type - either pink, Hot pink or Camo.

Martin

I have a spare surface grinder - three phase 220/380.
I35 isn't but a hundred or so miles from here. :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/19/2014 5:57 PM, Ignoramus14807 wrote:
Kind of excited

http://goo.gl/Uj3hGf

It's been a while since I saw one that big w/o a CNC control on it.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-20, Martin Eastburn wrote:
On 9/19/2014 5:57 PM, Ignoramus14807 wrote:
Kind of excited

http://goo.gl/Uj3hGf

Electric motor and transmission on top ! Wow
What a baby that one is.

I myself am wondering, what the hell is on top???

Any thing come with it - dies or plates ?

What color are you thinking of painting it - looks
like it is varnish oil coated now.

Think of some bad ass type - either pink, Hot pink or Camo.

Martin

I have a spare surface grinder - three phase 220/380.
I35 isn't but a hundred or so miles from here. :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 17:57:46 -0500, Ignoramus14807
wrote:

Kind of excited

http://goo.gl/Uj3hGf

Wifey will simply adore that...for her leaf pressing.
How timely for the mid-October gold and red leaves falling!

--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Sep 2014 21:21:53 -0500, Ignoramus14807

On 2014-09-20, Martin Eastburn wrote:
On 9/19/2014 5:57 PM, Ignoramus14807 wrote:
Kind of excited

http://goo.gl/Uj3hGf

Electric motor and transmission on top ! Wow
What a baby that one is.

I myself am wondering, what the hell is on top???

I used a press sort of like that, only it had matching top and bottom
plates with T-slots for tools. All the hydraulics were on top. It was
about 12' tall, platens about 4'x4'. We ran RTM and RIM experiments
in it.

I'll never forget the day some guys dieseled the peroxide cylinder.
Hadn't fully purged the line, so the trapped air heated to the
decomposition temperature of the peroxide, and the drive cylinder left
sunlight streaming through the roof when it took off. We found it
later up on top of that press.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus14807 fired this volley in
:

I myself am wondering, what the hell is on top???

The hydraulic pump.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-21, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus14807 fired this volley in
:

I myself am wondering, what the hell is on top???

The hydraulic pump.

But why is it made with a Bosch injection pump?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus6183 fired this volley in
:

But why is it made with a Bosch injection pump?

An injection pump is just a small-volume, high-pressure pump, Ig.

Obviously, they weren't concerned with travel rate on that unit.

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-09-21, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com
wrote:
Ignoramus14807 fired this
volley in
:

I myself am wondering, what the hell is on top???

The hydraulic pump.

But why is it made with a Bosch injection pump?

I suppose because they needed rate control and could get a used one
cheap, rather than buying an expensive new variable-displacement pump.
Is there an adjustable pressure regulator on the high pressure side?
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 21 Sep 2014 08:55:36 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ignoramus6183 fired this volley in
:

But why is it made with a Bosch injection pump?

An injection pump is just a small-volume, high-pressure pump, Ig.

Obviously, they weren't concerned with travel rate on that unit.

Lloyd

Iggy should check for a high speed and low speed lever

Many of those presses had a high speed/low pressure mode..and when you
got down to the work, switched over to low speed/HIGH pressure.
Sometimes automatically..sometimes manually.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch fired this volley in
:

Many of those presses had a high speed/low pressure mode..and when you
got down to the work, switched over to low speed/HIGH pressure.
Sometimes automatically..sometimes manually.

Gunner, if that pump is the only pump on it, then the only way to achieve
high travel rate would be with a secondary (perhaps coaxial) small
diameter cylinder. Even with the throttling rack thrown over all the
way, an injector pump just wouldn't provide enough volume to move that
big ram very fast.

Most of the presses I've worked on with dual-rate controls had a dual-
rotor pump -- sort of like a log splitter pump, although not all of them
were of the 'automatic change-over' variety.

For a 150-ton press, that has a very small motor. That generally implies
that it's a low-volume hydraulic system, et. al. At least, it's got a
pretty short stroke for the frame size.

LLoyd