Don D.

Default I bought a drill press finally

Well I bought a Delta DP300 today. my wife works at ACE Hardware and they
have an ACE drill press on sale and their brown bag sale is coming up in a
few weeks. I was looking at that one being a 10" 1/4 motor but they pointed
out that they had a Delta 12' 1/3hp in the ware house for 179.99, so I did
some looking and saw that the tool crib has it for the same price but the
S/H was 60 dollars. I will pass at that. I had some points build up with
ACE that came to 50.00 so the DP only cost me 140.00 out the door.

Sorry I do not have the room for floor models.
Now I have to build a DP stand for it. Maybe I will put the DP and bench
grinder/ wire wheel on the same stand..

Don D.

Olebiker

Well I bought a Delta DP300 today.

You will be delightfully surprised at how useful it will be. So will
your neighbors once they find out you have it.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

Ray

Wood magazine idea shop 5 has a flip top cabinet that might give you
some ideas

http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/sto...rs.xml&page=10

patrick conroy

"Don D." wrote in message

Sorry I do not have the room for floor models.
Now I have to build a DP stand for it. Maybe I will put the DP and bench

I have the Delta 12" tool. ShopNotes had a nice wall mounted stand (with one
drawer) for it that I built. I like it. Plenty of room underneath it for a
variety of cra^H^H^Hstuff.

John O. Kopf

Hint...

Go out to the "dollar" store and get one of those clip-on-the-belt
key-chain retractors. Open up the belt clip, drill a hole (if
necessary), and mount it on the side of the drill press. clip the chuck
key to the ned of the retractor. The key will then always be handy to
the chuck, but will get itself out of the way when you remove it.

JK

Don D. wrote:

Well I bought a Delta DP300 today. my wife works at ACE Hardware and they
have an ACE drill press on sale and their brown bag sale is coming up in a
few weeks. I was looking at that one being a 10" 1/4 motor but they pointed
out that they had a Delta 12' 1/3hp in the ware house for 179.99, so I did
some looking and saw that the tool crib has it for the same price but the
S/H was 60 dollars. I will pass at that. I had some points build up with
ACE that came to 50.00 so the DP only cost me 140.00 out the door.

Sorry I do not have the room for floor models.
Now I have to build a DP stand for it. Maybe I will put the DP and bench
grinder/ wire wheel on the same stand..

Don D.

Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Don D. wrote:
Sorry I do not have the room for floor models.
Now I have to build a DP stand for it.

If you had the room for a stand, you had the room for a floor model. These
things are quite top heavy and tend to have small footprints.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:53:30 GMT, John O. Kopf wrote:
Hint...

Go out to the "dollar" store and get one of those clip-on-the-belt
key-chain retractors. Open up the belt clip, drill a hole (if
necessary), and mount it on the side of the drill press. clip the chuck
key to the ned of the retractor. The key will then always be handy to
the chuck, but will get itself out of the way when you remove it.

That is a really, really, really good idea. Thanks, John.

Dave Hinz

tiredofspam

I tried that routine... didn't like the cord getting in the way.

First I dremeled off the point that pushed the key out... can't stand
that bugger..
Then I attached a rare earth magnet to the front of the machines pulley
cover. I just stick the key there each time... Nothing in the way...

Don D. wrote:

Well I bought a Delta DP300 today. my wife works at ACE Hardware and they
have an ACE drill press on sale and their brown bag sale is coming up in a
few weeks. I was looking at that one being a 10" 1/4 motor but they pointed
out that they had a Delta 12' 1/3hp in the ware house for 179.99, so I did
some looking and saw that the tool crib has it for the same price but the
S/H was 60 dollars. I will pass at that. I had some points build up with
ACE that came to 50.00 so the DP only cost me 140.00 out the door.

Sorry I do not have the room for floor models.
Now I have to build a DP stand for it. Maybe I will put the DP and bench
grinder/ wire wheel on the same stand..

Don D.

Silvan

Dave Hinz wrote:

the chuck, but will get itself out of the way when you remove it.

That is a really, really, really good idea. Thanks, John.

It is, too. Perfect solution to the problem of forgetting to put the key
back into the little holder flummy. I originally tried just using a piece
of fishing line to tie it to the holder, but I realized how stupid that was
the first time I had to untangle all that finishing line from the
arbor/quill/whateveryoucallit. Oops. The dollar store key retractor
flummy is the best solution out there to this particular problem. Just
long enough to reach, retracts fast. Good, sound advice.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

AAvK

Well I bought a Delta DP300 today. my wife works at ACE Hardware and they
have an ACE drill press on sale and their brown bag sale is coming up in a
few weeks. I was looking at that one being a 10" 1/4 motor but they pointed
out that they had a Delta 12' 1/3hp in the ware house for 179.99, so I did
some looking and saw that the tool crib has it for the same price but the
S/H was 60 dollars. I will pass at that. I had some points build up with
ACE that came to 50.00 so the DP only cost me 140.00 out the door.
Sorry I do not have the room for floor models.
Now I have to build a DP stand for it. Maybe I will put the DP and bench
grinder/ wire wheel on the same stand.. Don D.

Hi, you should try to grab a copy of the following book:

The Drill Press Book: Including 80 Jigs & Accessories You Can Make
by R.J. De Cristoforo ISBN: 0830636099

I did a few months ago for around $20 but these days... the highest price
I've seen online is $156 and the lowest $22, really cool book.

--
Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com

Don D.

I think I will look the book up. and take in consideration everything I
have read on this post. I have some rearranging to do in my little side of
the garage trying to organize what I have and were it should go.... I like
welding and wood working so I am getting cluttered full of tools..

I get to have 1/2 half of a two car garage and half of it have my tools.
(12' X 9'w) W / D is taking up the rest of the room
"toys on the floor"
2 mig welders, (one 4 sale)
1 O/A torch set
1 Craftsman job site T/S
1 4 X 6 H / V metal band saw
2 Air comp.
1 Bench top DP (now)
2 Tool rolling cabinets full
lots of WW tools in a cabinet I built 24w X 6' high full
Miter saw
Scroll Saw
cordless drills and extra battery packs for both
dewalt biscuit jointer
sanders
welding right angle grinders
bla bla bla. your get the picture

I was thinking about building a wall and shelf off one side and use the
other side for rolling tools. I might be able to walk in the middle.

I do not buy any wood till I need it do to the lack of space... Steel is
outside already.

This will be fun organizing

Don D.

"AAvK" wrote in message

[...]

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:48:02 -0500, the inscrutable Joe Gorman
spake:

tiredofspam wrote:

I tried that routine... didn't like the cord getting in the way.

First I dremeled off the point that pushed the key out... can't stand
that bugger..
Then I attached a rare earth magnet to the front of the machines
pulley cover. I just stick the key there each time... Nothing in the
way...

This trick is about $300 cheaper since I didn't pull a Tim the Toolman
trick like Pat did.

Here's my quick and dirty solution, but it's the best one I've ever
tried. http://diversify.com/wood/chuckkeyholder.jpg I took a
dime-sized rare-earth magnet, tossed it on the front of the steel
drill press head, and stuck the chuck key to it. Voilá! It's so
strong that it holds the key out straight, by the end of the rod.

Cost: About $1.
Time to install: About 1 second.
Thanks to whichever Wrecker suggested that a few weeks ago.

--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------

Edwin Pawlowski

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Here's my quick and dirty solution, but it's the best one I've ever
tried. http://diversify.com/wood/chuckkeyholder.jpg I took a
dime-sized rare-earth magnet, tossed it on the front of the steel
drill press head, and stuck the chuck key to it. Voilá! It's so
strong that it holds the key out straight, by the end of the rod.

Cost: About $1.
Time to install: About 1 second.
Thanks to whichever Wrecker suggested that a few weeks ago.

Lee Valley has a RE magnet with a standoff of about 3/4" that I use. Mine
is on the side but it works anyplace metal and convenient.