Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hydraulic press and 10,000 PSI hydraulics

I recently participated in an auction of a bankrupt company that liked
to spend a lot of money.

For a sum of $50, I purchased a relatively large hydraulic press with
a large cylinder and ram. It did not have a hydraulic power unit
attached, it only had hoses going to the cylinder. The cylinder is
double acting and is 7.5 inch OD, with approximately 19 inch ram
travel.

The interesting part here is that I found out that the hoses going to
the ram, are 10,000 PSI hoses. In the same area of their shop, they
had 10,000 PSI hydraulic pumps, which I, unfortunately, did not get.

What this leads to is the following. According to my calculations,
this is approximately a 50 ton press at 3,000 PSI, and a 150 ton press
at 10,000 PSI.

A 150 ton press would cover absolutely all my shop and money making
needs, such as pressing out forklift wheels, straightening etc. So, it
is a very attractive thought to use it at 10k PSI.

That seems like a very high pressure to me, however, so I want to
think this through. I do have a 10 PSI pump (a Greenlee 960) that was
waiting its turn to be sold. I do not have a directional valve rated
for 10,000 PSI.

I am generally a little apprehensive about this, when I think about
potential consequences of pinhole leaks, and such. I wanted to see if
anyone has experience with 10,000 PSI hydraulic systems.

Thanks

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus495 fired this volley in
:

I am generally a little apprehensive about this, when I think about
potential consequences of pinhole leaks, and such. I wanted to see if
anyone has experience with 10,000 PSI hydraulic systems.

The first thing to determine is whether or not that is a 10Kpsi cylinder.

7.5" o.d. could imply a 6" cylinder with extra heavy 3/4" walls, but I'd
confirm its ratings with a part number -- especially if it is designed
for high pressure, it's gotta be marked somewhere. It could also be a
7" cylinder, and with 1/4" walls, wouldn't likely be rated at 10Kpsi.

High pressures aren't hard to manage safely. Hoses and fittings can be
covered with soft, tough absorbent material (like several wraps of
canvas, loosely applied) to prevent injection injuries in the event of a
pinhole leak. Adjustable pressure relief valves are the solution to
running at the lowest suitable pressure.

But make sure, too, Ig, that the frame can take that sort of stress.
150T isn't all _that_ heavy of a press, but you must confirm the cross
sections and beam load capabilities of whatever steel was used to make
it, along with the tensile strength of the verticals.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus495 fired this volley in
:

I am generally a little apprehensive about this, when I think about
potential consequences of pinhole leaks, and such. I wanted to see if
anyone has experience with 10,000 PSI hydraulic systems.

The first thing to determine is whether or not that is a 10Kpsi cylinder.

7.5" o.d. could imply a 6" cylinder with extra heavy 3/4" walls, but I'd
confirm its ratings with a part number -- especially if it is designed
for high pressure, it's gotta be marked somewhere. It could also be a
7" cylinder, and with 1/4" walls, wouldn't likely be rated at 10Kpsi.

I will check it more closely tomorrow. I can only look at the cylinder
from the top, and my recollection is that the walls could easily be
3/4 inch.

High pressures aren't hard to manage safely. Hoses and fittings can be
covered with soft, tough absorbent material (like several wraps of
canvas, loosely applied) to prevent injection injuries in the event of a
pinhole leak. Adjustable pressure relief valves are the solution to
running at the lowest suitable pressure.

Good point.

But make sure, too, Ig, that the frame can take that sort of stress.
150T isn't all _that_ heavy of a press, but you must confirm the cross
sections and beam load capabilities of whatever steel was used to make
it, along with the tensile strength of the verticals.

Yes, I will try to do the math tomorrow. My personal hunch is that it
IS a 150 ton press. I will also post some pictures.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:23:45 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus495 wrote:
On 2012-08-09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

[...]

One big way to help keep things safe at high pressure (and in machinery etc in general)- minimize the stored energy, and keep the rate energy can be added to the system to the minimum required.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here are some pictures of this press, taken from eye level, I am
5'11".

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/150-Ton-Hydraulic-Press/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13722 fired this volley in
:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/150-Ton-Hydraulic-Press/

Well, I'd say (just from the pictures) that you don't have any issues with
the top of the frame. Dunno what the bottom beam will take with a point
load at the middle (which is your worst-case load).

There are nice beam deflection calculators on the web for free use, and for
fatigue life, figure a maximum deflection at the middle of about 1/16".

It would take more, but figure conservatively for long life.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus495 wrote:
[...]

I would not worry as much about the pinhole leaks as I would about
something flying out of the press or exploding under that high of
pressure ( 150 tons) Many people have been killed or injured from a
part flying out of a press.

http://pressmaster-hydraulic-presses.com/news/keep-safety-in-mind-when-purchasing-a-press-23.aspx

http://cjonline.com/stories/121504/bus_osha.shtml

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-09, john wrote:
Ignoramus495 wrote:
[...]

This safe does have a guard. Good point.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13722 fired this volley in
:

No, the gauge there is accidental, I dug through the gauges that I had
anf found that one. It was not on the press.

Awww... SPOILER! G

Lloyd

Converting a manual hydraulic press to hydraulic pump Ignoramus17155 Metalworking 10 July 30th 12 02:47 AM
Hydraulic press Q's GeoLane at PTD dot NET Metalworking 17 March 18th 10 02:17 PM
HYDRAULIC PRESS J T Woodworking 0 March 8th 06 02:11 PM
HF 50 Ton Hydraulic Press John P. Metalworking 11 January 1st 06 03:31 PM
Uses for a hydraulic press? SomeBody Metalworking 23 August 22nd 05 05:02 AM