SomeBody

Default Uses for a hydraulic press?

I'm about to move forward on a manually operated hydraulic press project
and was wondering some of the things that can be performed with such a
beast?

Hole punching? metal bending?

Know of any information out there that would be helpful?

What about making your own dies?

Thanks.

--
A7N8X-Deluxe, AMD XP2500+ (Un-locked)
2x256mb Crucial PC3200 DDR ram

Grant Erwin

SomeBody wrote:
I'm about to move forward on a manually operated hydraulic press project
and was wondering some of the things that can be performed with such a
beast?

Hole punching? metal bending?

Know of any information out there that would be helpful?

What about making your own dies?

Tonight I used mine to straighten a (fixed) caster which had been overloaded so
the forks had bent over to one side. Easy as pie.

I also have recently used mine to press things together and also apart.

My father-in-law brought over a piece of his tractor mower guard which is bent
badly. It's made of quite heavy gauge sheet metal, and I'll use the press to
straighten it.

I envision using it to straighten out warpage when butt welding two flat bars
which I want to stay flat. If the weld warps, I'll straighten it using the press.

Some guys make press brakes and punches from hydraulic presses. I might do that
too.

GWE
RoyJ

I haven't seen a decent low buck punch setup for a small hydraulic press
but various press brake items work well. A commercial version at
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6&storeId=6970
You can make a simple version with 2 pieces of round stock welded to a
base plate abut 1 diameter apart, use a third rod backed up with a chunk
of bar stock for the top half. Bar should be about 2x or more of the
thickness of the material to be bent

SomeBody wrote:
I'm about to move forward on a manually operated hydraulic press project
and was wondering some of the things that can be performed with such a
beast?

Hole punching? metal bending?

Know of any information out there that would be helpful?

What about making your own dies?

Thanks.

Don Stauffer

SomeBody wrote:
I'm about to move forward on a manually operated hydraulic press project
and was wondering some of the things that can be performed with such a
beast?

Hole punching? metal bending?

Know of any information out there that would be helpful?

What about making your own dies?

Thanks.

Pushing pins in or out of holes. Or collars on or off of pins.
Don Foreman

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 04:22:33 GMT, SomeBody
wrote:

I'm about to move forward on a manually operated hydraulic press project
and was wondering some of the things that can be performed with such a
beast?

Hole punching? metal bending?

Know of any information out there that would be helpful?

What about making your own dies?

Thanks.

Making odd metric Phillips-head screws (like the one that holds the
brake disc on a Rabbit) when the carparts store is closed.
Make the screw on the lathe, make a conical hole in the head with a
center drill. Press a hard Phillips bit into the hole.

Making copper washers for the banjo fittings in a fuel-injection
system. Cut a short piece of copper tubing and mash it flat.

Pressing out U-joint bearings. Remember to remove the clip first.
The bearing will come out if you forget the clip, but it makes one
hell of a bang when it does.

Straightening the shaft of a trolling motor after a collision with a
submerged rock.

Rick

"SomeBody" wrote in message
news
I'm about to move forward on a manually operated hydraulic press

project
and was wondering some of the things that can be performed with such

beast?

Hole punching? metal bending?

Know of any information out there that would be helpful?

What about making your own dies?

Thanks.

Holding sheet material on a pattern when hammer forming by hand...

With a little fixturing, materials/fasteners strength tests...

steamer

--Not quite what you asked, but I routinely use an ironworker to
stamp a logo in my parts..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : My shop is open to
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : visiting dog-nitaries...
Kelley Mascher

Ernie Leimkuhler has built what you are proposing.

http://www.stagesmith.com/gallery/sh...ess/index.html

Should be a good starting point, at least.

Cheers,

Kelley

wrote:

I'm about to move forward on a manually operated hydraulic press project
and was wondering some of the things that can be performed with such a
beast?

Hole punching? metal bending?

Know of any information out there that would be helpful?

What about making your own dies?

Thanks.

JohnM

wrote:

I'm about to move forward on a manually operated hydraulic press project
and was wondering some of the things that can be performed with such a
beast?

Hole punching? metal bending?

Know of any information out there that would be helpful?

What about making your own dies?

Thanks.

Making odd metric Phillips-head screws (like the one that holds the
brake disc on a Rabbit) when the carparts store is closed.
Make the screw on the lathe, make a conical hole in the head with a
center drill. Press a hard Phillips bit into the hole.

Making copper washers for the banjo fittings in a fuel-injection
system. Cut a short piece of copper tubing and mash it flat.

Hey, I like that one.

A hydraulic press is useful for straightening your motorcycle forks too.

Pressing out U-joint bearings. Remember to remove the clip first.
The bearing will come out if you forget the clip, but it makes one
hell of a bang when it does.

Straightening the shaft of a trolling motor after a collision with a
submerged rock.

Gunner

SomeBody wrote:

I'm about to move forward on a manually operated hydraulic press project
and was wondering some of the things that can be performed with such a
beast?

Hole punching? metal bending?

Know of any information out there that would be helpful?

What about making your own dies?

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity..what makes this worth $800 plus dollars?

http://www.bonnydoonengineering.com/...20tonMDS.shtml

Gunner

Pete C.

SomeBody wrote:

I'm about to move forward on a manually operated hydraulic press project
and was wondering some of the things that can be performed with such a
beast?

Hole punching? metal bending?

Know of any information out there that would be helpful?

What about making your own dies?

Thanks.

Just out of curiosity..what makes this worth $800 plus dollars?

http://www.bonnydoonengineering.com/...20tonMDS.shtml

Gunner

The fact that most artistic metalsmith types aren't aware that places
such as Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc. exist?
I suppose there is some value to it's small physical size, not reason to
take up the space of a 20T floor press if all you do is small stuff. I
think they also add a pressure gauge on some so you can keep track of
the force exerted.

Pete C.
Martin H. Eastburn

SomeBody wrote:

[...]

These artists are depending on these machines. A HF or NT won't cut it
when making a 10,000 USD vase out of Sterling Silver.

I have been in his shop - I used to live down hill (physical) from him in Ca.
The presses are made there. Nice CNC operation and manual.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

paul

I used mine to straighten the shaft on a hydraulic cylinder before
rechroming. Went from about 1/8 inch bend to a couple of thou, which
was close enough.

It's also great for destroying bearing cups when putting in universals.
At least until I figured out the spiders were .050 too long for the
yoke :-)

I don't use mine every day, but it's darn handy when you need it.

Paul

Gunner

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 22:00:31 -0500, "Martin H. Eastburn"
wrote:

SomeBody wrote:

[...]

He makes the bottle jacks?

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli
Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:

SomeBody wrote:

[...]

No those come from other sources. The fames and everything else (not pumps)
are made in his shop.
He has had bottle jack quality issue - but I think that has to be cleared
by now.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

afdr9lk

SomeBody wrote:
I'm about to move forward on a manually operated hydraulic press project
and was wondering some of the things that can be performed with such a
beast?

Hole punching? metal bending?

Know of any information out there that would be helpful?

What about making your own dies?

Thanks.

I use mine quite a bit for pressing bearings. I built one
out of scrap metal that does a good job. I needed it in a
burry one day and built it in several hours.

http://www.freakyacres.com/?p=press.php
Gunner

wrote:

SomeBody wrote:

[...]

Then what makes em worth $800+?

Gunner

Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:

SomeBody wrote:

[...]

They are heavy duty and have accurate position on some of it. Remember the business -
pressing silver, gold, and other metals into cups, goblets..... Drawing that out
requires precision that is an over and over after setup after setup. It is done
in may stages IIRC.

The stuff from Harbor etc are one time setup and placements. The jacks also leak early.

There is a line of products that are aligned behind it as well.

Those are my feelings - I don't know the specifics - not a parter or that close.
He did or does read this group but is often very busy making material and taking
trips to training classes he teaches.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Ron Bean

afdr9lk writes:

I use mine quite a bit for pressing bearings. I built one
out of scrap metal that does a good job. I needed it in a
burry one day and built it in several hours.

http://www.freakyacres.com/?p=press.php

The 500 gallon lawn roller is interesting...

http://www.freakyacres.com/?p=tanklawnroller.php

Martin H. Eastburn

Ron Bean wrote:

afdr9lk writes:

I use mine quite a bit for pressing bearings. I built one
out of scrap metal that does a good job. I needed it in a
burry one day and built it in several hours.

http://www.freakyacres.com/?p=press.php

The 500 gallon lawn roller is interesting...

http://www.freakyacres.com/?p=tanklawnroller.php

I looked at the 210 welding cart made - didn't understand the empty floor issue :-)

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

afdr9lk

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Ron Bean wrote:

afdr9lk writes:

I use mine quite a bit for pressing bearings. I built one
out of scrap metal that does a good job. I needed it in a
burry one day and built it in several hours.

http://www.freakyacres.com/?p=press.php

The 500 gallon lawn roller is interesting...

http://www.freakyacres.com/?p=tanklawnroller.php

I looked at the 210 welding cart made - didn't understand the empty
floor issue :-)

Martin

That was the inside of my garage not my shop!
Martin H. Eastburn

afdr9lk wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Ron Bean wrote:

afdr9lk writes:

I use mine quite a bit for pressing bearings. I built one
out of scrap metal that does a good job. I needed it in a
burry one day and built it in several hours.

http://www.freakyacres.com/?p=press.php

The 500 gallon lawn roller is interesting...

http://www.freakyacres.com/?p=tanklawnroller.php

I looked at the 210 welding cart made - didn't understand the empty
floor issue :-)

Martin

That was the inside of my garage not my shop!

Understand - this is our first house that doesn't have a shop in the Garage.
Now the Garage is listed as a game room. - We never got used to using it as
a cover for a car. :-)

Martin [ who had a larger shop - but it is filling faster than I can work with ].

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life