Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus495 Ignoramus495 is offline

Default Hydraulic press and 10,000 PSI hydraulics

I recently participated in an auction of a bankrupt company that liked
to spend a lot of money.

For a sum of $50, I purchased a relatively large hydraulic press with
a large cylinder and ram. It did not have a hydraulic power unit
attached, it only had hoses going to the cylinder. The cylinder is
double acting and is 7.5 inch OD, with approximately 19 inch ram
travel.

The interesting part here is that I found out that the hoses going to
the ram, are 10,000 PSI hoses. In the same area of their shop, they
had 10,000 PSI hydraulic pumps, which I, unfortunately, did not get.

What this leads to is the following. According to my calculations,
this is approximately a 50 ton press at 3,000 PSI, and a 150 ton press
at 10,000 PSI.

A 150 ton press would cover absolutely all my shop and money making
needs, such as pressing out forklift wheels, straightening etc. So, it
is a very attractive thought to use it at 10k PSI.

That seems like a very high pressure to me, however, so I want to
think this through. I do have a 10 PSI pump (a Greenlee 960) that was
waiting its turn to be sold. I do not have a directional valve rated
for 10,000 PSI.

I am generally a little apprehensive about this, when I think about
potential consequences of pinhole leaks, and such. I wanted to see if
anyone has experience with 10,000 PSI hydraulic systems.

Thanks