Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aluminum Welding

I plan to have someone weld 4 sections of a layout using 6061 aluminum
which you can see
here.....https://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/14542109948/

This corner/section
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...n/photostream/
where the two pieces meet at the side, the corners touch. I cut the
other two corners for a flush cut.....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...n/photostream/

Should I cut one side piece to make flush with the other for better
welding or will a good welder be able to fill that in for a secure job?

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Meanie wrote:
I plan to have someone weld 4 sections of a layout using 6061 aluminum
which you can see
here.....https://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/14542109948/

This corner/section
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...n/photostream/
where the two pieces meet at the side, the corners touch. I cut the
other two corners for a flush cut.....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...n/photostream/

Should I cut one side piece to make flush with the other for better
welding or will a good welder be able to fill that in for a secure
job?
Thanks

The first pair , you need to widen the vee a little , give the welder
somewhere to put some filler . The other pair should also touch at the
inside corner , and have about a 60° vee .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:18:48 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Meanie wrote:
I plan to have someone weld 4 sections of a layout using 6061 aluminum
which you can see
here.....https://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/14542109948/

This corner/section
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...n/photostream/
where the two pieces meet at the side, the corners touch. I cut the
other two corners for a flush cut.....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...n/photostream/

Should I cut one side piece to make flush with the other for better
welding or will a good welder be able to fill that in for a secure
job?
Thanks

The first pair , you need to widen the vee a little , give the welder
somewhere to put some filler . The other pair should also touch at the
inside corner , and have about a 60° vee .

If tigging a "V" is not necessarilly required - Autogenous welding
doesn't even need filler (or much filler)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Meanie wrote:
[...]

I thought that was a no-no when welding aluminum and that filler was
required . Something about the weld area being subject to cracking .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 22:45:56 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

Meanie wrote:
[...]

I guess it depends on the alloy, the fit, and the application - but
what would cause it to crack more from autogenous welding than from
filling a "V" with filler? Particularly if the filler is identical to
the base metal - which you want it to be if the weld is to totally
blend in. We have often used strips of the metal being welded as
filler where required You can't find the welds in the cowling for my
plane (utility grade aluminum flashing material)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Meanie wrote:
[...]

While autogenous welding works well with steel it does not work well
with 6061 aluminum. What happens is that the aluminum tends to hot
crack. This is why a filler metal is needed, the filler is a different
alloy and when mixed with the base metal forms an alloy that is not
sensitive to hot cracking.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Meanie wrote:

[...]

Winner, winner. Chicken dinner.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Meanie wrote:
[...]

But remember, not all aluminum is 6061, and not all 6061 is T6. And
not all aluminum is welded with a filler that is different in
composition from the base metal..
Welding 6061 structural parts is always second or third choice for me
- much rather use rivetted or bolted construction than welded where
strength is required.
I didn't look -was 6061 speced in the OP's post? If so, my bad.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Meanie wrote:

[...]

You're a ****ing idiot, Clare.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Meanie wrote:
[...]

Other than pure aluminum, none of the common aluminum alloys are
normally welded with filler of the same composition as the base metal.

--
Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Meanie wrote:
[...]

When building aluminum coachwork it is not unusual to use strips of
the body metal as filler. It is the only way to make a weld that can
be metal-finished and have the weld totally dissappear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Meanie wrote:
[...]

That wouldn't surprise me if the sheet is 1100 or 3003 aluminum. 1100
is considered pure aluminum, and 3003 is around 98%. Both are easily
welded and cold worked.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Meanie wrote:
[...]

The OP did say it was 6061, which is why I used that alloy in my post.
And the temper doesn't matter as far as hot cracking is concerned.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Meanie wrote:
[...]

It was 6061 which is normally welded with 4043. 6061 and 5052 are the two
alloys I am most familiar with welding. You normally weld 6061 with 4043
filler, and 5052 with 5356. I also work a little bit with 7075 which is not
easily weldable, although if there is a way I bet Ernie knows it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why does Thunderbird keep showing this thread ...

.... when I have "View"/"Threads"/"Threads with unread" set and all
replies have been read?

So, this is a trial: maybe when I read this last reply, T-bird will stop
showing the thread.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Bob

welding aluminum Deodiaus Home Repair 17 July 3rd 13 08:06 PM
Gas Welding aluminum Brent Philion Metalworking 31 January 24th 06 05:37 AM
Welding aluminum with ac arc? [email protected] Metalworking 2 January 22nd 05 03:38 PM
welding aluminum Mike Metalworking 28 December 2nd 04 01:43 PM
Welding Aluminum (WAS: Welding Magnesium) tony Metalworking 5 November 7th 03 01:21 AM