Posted to alt.home.repair

Default welding aluminum

Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium joints were welded by a special process developed by NASA.
Does anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/13 10:49 AM, Deodiaus wrote:
Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium joints were welded by a special process developed by NASA.
Does anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.

That's why there is a "special" process, and not just any auto body
shop can work on aluminum body autos (Jaguar, Aston-Martin etc)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the
Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium joints
were welded by a special process developed by NASA.
Does anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the
heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.

Nobody knows how to weld aluminum, especially since there's absolutely no
information available on the net, or on Youtube.

Just keep wasting your time posting on Usenet in an attempt to find someone
to explain how to do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the
Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium joints
were welded by a special process developed by NASA.
Does anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the
heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.

Buy yourself a Metal Inert Gas welder.
You will need the aluminium wire and argon gas.
And a degreeof practice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 1, 2013 10:49:00 AM UTC-4, Deodiaus wrote:
Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium joints were welded by a special process developed by NASA.

Does anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.

I googled "welding aluminum" and got several YouTube videos on the subject. Here's the scoop from Lincoln Electric:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...ng-detail.aspx

They mention shielding gas, a mix of argon and helium; not sure if that's an absolute requirement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the
Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium joints
were welded by a special process developed by NASA.
Does anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the
heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.

Buy yourself a Metal Inert Gas welder.
You will need the aluminium wire and argon gas.
And a degreeof practice.

It can also be welded with oxy-acetylene using an oxygen depleted flame so
the aluminium does not burn.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 1, 2013 10:49:00 AM UTC-4, Deodiaus wrote:
Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium joints were welded by a special process developed by NASA.

Does anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.

These have been around for a while. I have not had occasion to try them but they seem to be popular.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-piece...ods-44810.html

I suspect the results are not super strong and certainly not very heat resistant but if it's a non-critical application it might be worth a try.

An inert gas wire welder is the proper way but not many diy'ers have one of those at their disposal. I've had fairly decent results going to welding shops. If you have the work ready to weld, any grinding and fitting finished, the cost should be reasonable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 11:58:21 -0400, Retired wrote:

On 7/1/13 10:49 AM, Deodiaus wrote:
Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium joints were welded by a special process developed by NASA.
Does anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.

That's why there is a "special" process, and not just any auto body
shop can work on aluminum body autos (Jaguar, Aston-Martin etc)

TIG is easiest, but it can be done with oxy-acetelyne as well - need
the right kind of goggles to tell when the aluminum is starting to
melt, but not hot enough to run away on you. Not easy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:47:31 -0400, "Murk" wrote:

"Deodiaus" wrote in message
Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the
Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium joints
were welded by a special process developed by NASA.
Does anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the
heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.

Nobody knows how to weld aluminum, especially since there's absolutely no
information available on the net, or on Youtube.

Just keep wasting your time posting on Usenet in an attempt to find someone
to explain how to do it.

Aluminum
brazing" can be mastered relatively easily at home - just need the
right kind of rod, a high swirl propane torch, and lots of patience -
and practice on something that doesn't matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Deodiaus wrote:
Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium joints were welded by a special process developed by NASA.
Does anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.

I welded aluminum while in the Navy using oxyacetylene. Because aluminum
does not get red when heating, you have to find another way to tell when
it is ready for welding.
Using just the acetylene, paint the area with black soot. Then add the
oxygen and heat the sooted area. When the soot disappears, the aluminum
is ready. Once the weld is started, continue on as the heat travelsYou
have to be quick. You don't have a big window before the aluminum melts
away.

--
Bill - Metalsmith 2nd (E5), USN
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/01/2013 07:49 AM, Deodiaus wrote:
Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the
Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium
joints were welded by a special process developed by NASA. Does
anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the
heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.

TIG, wire, or gas.

Jon
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 1, 2013 9:49:00 AM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:
Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium joints were welded by a special process developed by NASA.

Does anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.

Great suggestions, thanks a lot. I had Googled it, but I did not want to buy any tools as this is a really small job.
The reason I asked here is that I was thinking of doing this on the cheap (minimal costs).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Deodiaus" wrote in message

Great suggestions, thanks a lot. I had Googled it, but I did not want to
buy any tools as this is a really small job.
The reason I asked here is that I was thinking of doing this on the cheap
(minimal costs).

I saw a demonstration of how to weld or braze aluminum with some 'special'
rods and a hand held torch. He said the main thing is there is about a 200
degree differance in melting the rod and the aluminum. You have to be very
careful with the heat. He made it look easy as he put two aluminum cans
together.

Here is a youtube example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ42scaWFnw

Posted to alt.home.repair

"bud--" wrote in message
b.com...
Here is a youtube example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ42scaWFnw

I would think brazing would be a lot easier - you don't melt the base
aluminum.

Steel melts through a range of temperatures. That is because steel is a
mixture of carbon and iron and often other metals. You can be melting it
and it still has some strength.

I don't think that happens with aluminum. When it melts it can suddenly
run or sag. High thermal conductivity may make the problem worse.

I think those rods are really brazing and not welding. From what I get out
of the vidio I don't think the aluminum actually melts in that process. As
I mentioned from the demonstration I saw a few years back the guy said there
was very little differance in the temperature the rod melted and the
aluminum melted so you had to be careful. He was good as he stuck aluminum
cans together in 4 places each about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch long and you
could not seperate them by breaking the 'weld'.

I don't know much about welding or brazing. I do a lot of electronic
soldering and a little pipe soldering.

As I understand it, there is a differant definition for the three processes.
When people that know as little or even less than I do, sometimes the terms
are not used correctly.

You are probably correct in the brazing term in this case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 2, 2013 11:27:24 AM UTC-4, Deodiaus wrote:
Great suggestions, thanks a lot. I had Googled it, but I did not want to buy any tools as this is a really small job.

So what did you think you were going to weld the aluminum with, if not tools?

Welding aluminum is not something you can MacGuyver. If it were you would have found that information on google.

The reason I asked here is that I was thinking of doing this on the cheap (minimal costs).

Cheapest way is to find a mechanical way to join the aluminum. Screws or rivets. Next cheapest is to take the project to a professional welder. After that you're buying tools.

For a small one-time job even if the professional is egregiously expensive, he'll still be a lot cheaper than buying a MiG welder and a spool gun and wasting weeks learning how to properly weld aluminum. Ask around. You may know someone who knows someone who is a professional welder that can do it for you as a favor if it's a really minor job.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 1, 2013 9:49:00 AM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:
Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium joints were welded by a special process developed by NASA.

Does anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.

I worry about eye damage from the Mg flame? Any suggestions for a way to diminsh this? Will UV [sun]glasses shield enough?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2013 11:45 AM, Deodiaus wrote:
On Monday, July 1, 2013 9:49:00 AM UTC-5, Deodiaus wrote:
Does anyone know know how to weld aluminum? I went to a tour of the Rocket Center in HSV, AL and they pointed out that the aluminium joints were welded by a special process developed by NASA.

Does anyone know how to do this cheaply and at home. I tried, but the heat melted too much and the Al beaded up.

I worry about eye damage from the Mg flame? Any suggestions for a way to diminsh this? Will UV [sun]glasses shield enough?

welder's goggles. uv sunglasses will actually be worse.

Gas Welding aluminum Brent Philion Metalworking 31 January 24th 06 05:37 AM
THICK ALUMINUM WELDING Ardilla Volante' Metalworking 9 January 11th 06 08:16 AM
Welding aluminum with ac arc? [email protected] Metalworking 2 January 22nd 05 03:38 PM
welding aluminum Mike Metalworking 28 December 2nd 04 01:43 PM
Welding Aluminum (WAS: Welding Magnesium) tony Metalworking 5 November 7th 03 01:21 AM