Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aluminum Welding

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 10:34:48 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 21:40:07 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:18:48 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

wrote:

Meanie wrote:

I plan to have someone weld 4 sections of a layout using 6061 aluminum

which you can see

here.....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/14542109948/

This corner/section

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...n/photostream/

where the two pieces meet at the side, the corners touch. I cut the

other two corners for a flush cut.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...n/photostream/

Should I cut one side piece to make flush with the other for better

welding or will a good welder be able to fill that in for a secure

job?

Thanks

The first pair , you need to widen the vee a little , give the welder

somewhere to put some filler . The other pair should also touch at the

inside corner , and have about a 60� vee .

If tigging a "V" is not necessarilly required - Autogenous welding

doesn't even need filler (or much filler)

While autogenous welding works well with steel it does not work well

with 6061 aluminum. What happens is that the aluminum tends to hot

crack. This is why a filler metal is needed, the filler is a different

alloy and when mixed with the base metal forms an alloy that is not

sensitive to hot cracking.

Eric

Winner, winner. Chicken dinner.