Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Aluminum Welding

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 19:42:57 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:16:40 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 10:34:48 -0700,
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 21:40:07 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:18:48 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Meanie wrote:
I plan to have someone weld 4 sections of a layout using 6061 aluminum
which you can see
here.....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/18223943@N06/14542109948/

This corner/section
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...n/photostream/
where the two pieces meet at the side, the corners touch. I cut the
other two corners for a flush cut.....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/182239...n/photostream/

Should I cut one side piece to make flush with the other for better
welding or will a good welder be able to fill that in for a secure
job?
Thanks

The first pair , you need to widen the vee a little , give the welder
somewhere to put some filler . The other pair should also touch at the
inside corner , and have about a 60° vee .
If tigging a "V" is not necessarilly required - Autogenous welding
doesn't even need filler (or much filler)
While autogenous welding works well with steel it does not work well
with 6061 aluminum. What happens is that the aluminum tends to hot
crack. This is why a filler metal is needed, the filler is a different
alloy and when mixed with the base metal forms an alloy that is not
sensitive to hot cracking.
Eric

But remember, not all aluminum is 6061, and not all 6061 is T6. And
not all aluminum is welded with a filler that is different in
composition from the base metal..

Other than pure aluminum, none of the common aluminum alloys are
normally welded with filler of the same composition as the base metal.

When building aluminum coachwork it is not unusual to use strips of
the body metal as filler. It is the only way to make a weld that can
be metal-finished and have the weld totally dissappear.