Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Government Liquiddation web site

Interesting site, in Chambersburg, PA they are selling 14 rough
terrian forklifts, 4 have less than 50 hours on them and most are
under 1000. All Army surplus. I have not way to move something like
that, I just want to replace my 5000# electric with a LP powered one.
Could you drag one on these things with a flat tire onto a lowboy with
a whinch? how big a winch? Just wondering?

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-26, Randy333 wrote:
Interesting site, in Chambersburg, PA they are selling 14 rough
terrian forklifts, 4 have less than 50 hours on them and most are
under 1000. All Army surplus. I have not way to move something like
that, I just want to replace my 5000# electric with a LP powered one.
Could you drag one on these things with a flat tire onto a lowboy with
a whinch? how big a winch? Just wondering?

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

I move this kind of stuff all the time. It is not complicated. You can
drag them with a winch. Or with a truck. They might just start and
drive. (but check all fluids).

Note the height of this forklift and figure out how low should the
lowboy be to be under 13.5' total height. Alternatively you may just
want to remove the overhead guard on the cab.

The bidding has not yet started and such items rarely sell very
cheaply.

It is not a convenient forklift for general warehousing. It is very
heavy for how much it can lift. It is more like a mini-loader.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, and be skeptical about hour meter readings

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus21707 wrote:

On 2014-06-26, Randy333 wrote:
[...]

It's the kind I could use. My little 3k stand-up unit is great in the
shop, but I could really use a 10K or better rough terrain unit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 09:33:02 -0400, Randy333
wrote:

Interesting site, in Chambersburg, PA they are selling 14 rough
terrian forklifts, 4 have less than 50 hours on them and most are
under 1000.

IF their hour meters haven't cycled. Sure it's not 100,050.0 hours?
Your example is a 1981, so that's 33 years to accrue that many hours.
Granted, lots of equipment was superfluous in the military, so it may
be actual hours.

All Army surplus. I have not way to move something like
that, I just want to replace my 5000# electric with a LP powered one.
Could you drag one on these things with a flat tire onto a lowboy with
a whinch? how big a winch? Just wondering?

It's possible. The caveats a ruining the tire (probably moot),
ruining the wheel (slight possibility), getting it hung up on the
lowboy on its way up, or puncturing a tire on the lowboy (depending on
its style).

The thing has a 46,500GVW, so that's 23-1/4 tons you're hauling up a
ramp. If it's not your lowboy, will the owner allow the drag on his
unit? I'd want a very large winch to haul that aboard. What is the
possibility of getting it running prior to loading? Take a battery or
two with you, pour in some fresh diesel, and drive 'er up.

Another possibility is to bring your helo over and use the lifting
instructions on the tag riveted to the machine.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

G'luck with a low bid, Randy.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Den 26-06-2014 15:33, Randy333 skrev:
Interesting site, in Chambersburg, PA they are selling 14 rough
terrian forklifts, 4 have less than 50 hours on them and most are
under 1000. All Army surplus. I have not way to move something like
that, I just want to replace my 5000# electric with a LP powered one.
Could you drag one on these things with a flat tire onto a lowboy with
a whinch? how big a winch? Just wondering?

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

If you are looking at the typical wear signs like mat and grips and for
that matter the tires you might be looking at at rebuilt forklift or one
that has 50 actual hours.

--
Uffe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Larry, do not be such a scaredy cat, everything will work out with
some ingenuity, wheels will roll, tire can probably be inflated, and
if not that's OK, lowboys do not puncture tires, and EPA goons are not
coming to execute you for that little oil dripping from our Toyota.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

G'luck with a low bid, Randy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not that one, I don't think. Did you see all the pics? One had a
tire which sported a popped bead and 4" of inner rim showing.

if not that's OK, lowboys do not puncture tires,

No, I was thinking something during the drag (rock under mangled tire)
might puncture a _lowboy_ tire, not the other way around.

and EPA goons are not
coming to execute you for that little oil dripping from our Toyota.

Huh? Where'd that come from?

By the way, when are you going to find a great deal on a Sikorsky
SkyCrane so you don't have to truck all your finds to your warehouse?

--
You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore
the consequences of ignoring reality.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yep

if not that's OK, lowboys do not puncture tires,

No, I was thinking something during the drag (rock under mangled tire)
might puncture a _lowboy_ tire, not the other way around.

OK, how would dragging this harvester puncture a lowboy tire???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Uffe Bærentsen wrote:
Den 26-06-2014 15:33, Randy333 skrev:
Interesting site, in Chambersburg, PA they are selling 14 rough
terrian forklifts, 4 have less than 50 hours on them and most are
under 1000. All Army surplus. I have not way to move something like
that, I just want to replace my 5000# electric with a LP powered one.
Could you drag one on these things with a flat tire onto a lowboy with
a whinch? how big a winch? Just wondering?

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

If you are looking at the typical wear signs like mat and grips and for
that matter the tires you might be looking at at rebuilt forklift or one
that has 50 actual hours.

Anyone bidding serious money should inspect the unit before they bid.
Back in the old days of direct DMSO before the internet I was very
active in bidding surplus from the Govt. The internet ruined getting a
good deal on equipment. You had to know mil stock numbers and identify
the stuff that was listed only by the number. I used to get stacks of
fliers from DOD with all the equipment they sold.

On that unit you can bet it will go for at least ten grand. probably
more.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-27, John wrote:
Uffe B?rentsen wrote:
[...]

This is the essence of buying stuff at auction, to see and understand
more than other bidders, and find good stuff where no one sees it.

On that unit you can bet it will go for at least ten grand. probably
more.

You can search google for "International Harvester M10A site:govliquidation.com"

http://goo.gl/yRUXpD

This way you can research past prices. You could also search for

"International Harvester M10A Chambersburg site:govliquidation.com"

To see prices of ones sold at Chambersburg.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Interesting site, in Chambersburg, PA they are selling 14 rough
terrian forklifts, 4 have less than 50 hours on them and most are
under 1000. All Army surplus. I have not way to move something like
that, I just want to replace my 5000# electric with a LP powered one.
Could you drag one on these things with a flat tire onto a lowboy with
a whinch? how big a winch? Just wondering?

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Interesting site, in Chambersburg, PA they are selling 14 rough
terrian forklifts, 4 have less than 50 hours on them and most are
under 1000. All Army surplus. I have not way to move something like
that, I just want to replace my 5000# electric with a LP powered one.
Could you drag one on these things with a flat tire onto a lowboy with
a whinch? how big a winch? Just wondering?

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

Somehow, I think the final bid will be a wee bit more than the $25
starting price.

--
You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore
the consequences of ignoring reality.
--Ayn Rand

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Not bidding on these,.... too big for me. I suppose an on site
inspection would tell you if the hour meter went once around. I see
new oil filters, I would expect the factory filters on a machine with
14 hours.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
Interesting site, in Chambersburg, PA they are selling 14 rough
terrian forklifts, 4 have less than 50 hours on them and most are
under 1000.

IF their hour meters haven't cycled. Sure it's not 100,050.0 hours?
Your example is a 1981, so that's 33 years to accrue that many hours.
Granted, lots of equipment was superfluous in the military, so it may
be actual hours.

Not bidding on these,.... too big for me. I suppose an on site
inspection would tell you if the hour meter went once around. I see
new oil filters, I would expect the factory filters on a machine with
14 hours.

Far more likely the hour-meters were replaced or aren't actually
functional or both. The one on one of the utility tractors here shows
about 300 hr now on a early '90s model tractor that was well-used when I
bought it. It had been replaced and showed 20 hr or so when I bought
it; I've replaced it once in the 15 yr since I've had it to keep it
going so I can tell oil-change intervals...there's no telling how many
thousand hours are actually on the machine, just as there's no way of
knowing on these lifts unless there's some other maintenance log or some
handwritten notes on the machines themselves. On the big tractors I put
a permanent sticker on the dash each change so the old 4440 has a
complete history going back to when it was new in '79...one would be
unlikely to get so lucky on one of these, I'd surmise...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

They replace hourmeters in the army from time to time, such as when
doing a major rebuild. People do it in the industry also. Hourmeters
also break.