Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Minimize burrs drilling Aluminum

I have a production opportunity that involves drilling 1/2" and 3/8"
through holes in 2"x 2" x1/8" square Aluminum tube. I don't know the
alloy yet. The holes don't have to be burr-free but I would like to
minimize the burrs without any secondary operations. The holes will be
drilled with a drill press. So, I think it comes down to what type of
drill bit configuration to use. Would brad-points or Forstner bits
work? I looked on the web and saw all kinds of slick burr removal tools
but no good answers for single operation drilling.

I bet Joe knows!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014 14:26:42 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks fired this volley in news:r-
:

The holes don't have to be burr-free but I would like to
minimize the burrs without any secondary operations.

Tom, you can't eliminate the "breakout" burrs. Use the fastest feed you
can to get a clean chip, and you will almost completely eliminate the
burrs at the top of the hole.

Son, de-burring is part of the process. Unless you put a 'waste sheet'
under the material, and drill into it past the shoulder of the bit,
you're going to get burrs. And then only if it's clamped so tight to the
work that there's not a chance of pushing a burr between the sheets.

LLoyd

A sacrificial piece of hardwood be sufficient? How about a drill
bushing under the tube?

Bushing still wont help. That last burr is the result the metal being
torn away from the mass by the downward pressure.

The only way you are going to be burr free is to use a deburring tool.
Which is really not a big deal in Aluminum.

http://www.vargus.com/Shaviv/

http://www.noga.com/

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/A...navid=12100123

etc etc

I have Vargus, and Noga of variouis kinds, from hole to sheet
deburring....and they all work great once you get the hang of em.

Gunner

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/22/2014 4:10 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

No time for another operation and a smal burr is OK, I just want it minimum.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/22/2014 4:18 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Either will only minimize burrs. They're an annoying fact of life.

--

Well, that is the title of the thread.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 01:36:33 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

It takes a second or so per hole to run a deburring tool around the
inside of each hole. If you dont have that time...use a 2 flute end
mill to drill your holes.

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 01:37:50 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 6/22/2014 4:18 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Either will only minimize burrs. They're an annoying fact of life.

--

Well, that is the title of the thread.

Yes, but I read between the lines. You want total freedom from burrs,
and that's a fact.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, June 22, 2014 10:36:33 PM UTC-7, Tom Gardner wrote:
[...]

No time to do the job right/do a quality job.

Typical Mark Wieber clique of idiot mentality.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com fired this volley
in . 3.70:

To ensure proper chip clearing (even with center-cutting mills), you
should first drill a pilot hole about 30% of the finished diameter.

I should have said, Tom, that I'm presuming you do not have CNC, and would
be using and endmill as a plain drill.

If you had cnc, you could just spiral drill with an endmill and get good
results.

Lloyd