Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default new motherboard

On 7/25/2014 8:56 PM, jon_banquer wrote:
On Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:09:01 AM UTC-7, Karl Townsend wrote:
I'm looking for a new motherboard and haven't really kept up with

computer technology for several years now.

If I can re-use the CPU, I will save the cost of this part PLUS greedy

greedy M$oft won't make me pay for ANOTHER win 7 OS disk. I don't want

to reuse it if I'm being penny wise and pound foolish. Belarc says its

a 3.60 gigahertz AMD FX-4100 Quad-Core. The current MB manual says its

an AM3+ socket.

OK, I'm looking for a file storage and internet surfer machine, don't

need blazing speed, or a lot of memory. So I went to Newegg for MBs,

selected AM3+ socket, FX type processor, and started looking for ones

with lots of SATA and other slots. I came up with these tentative

results: http://tinyurl.com/nofnueh I made some selections to narrow

the field that aren't really needed.

Any suggestions? Am I on the right track to re use this CPU? If we're

good to go with one of these, I'll want to double check if the memory

I have is compatible, Belarc says I got 2 each 4 meg sticks. The

existing MB manual says DDR3. Not sure how to double check the memory

speed.

Karl

History based CAD like SolidWorks, Solid Edge, Autodesk Inventor, etc. doesn't make full or proper use of multi-core CPU technology. This is a result of the geometry kernels they are based on. To get the best performance from these kinds of CAD products you need the fastest and most powerful CPU that you can afford.

When it comes to CAM, usually the more cores the better. Surfacing toolpath can take a lot of time to process and most surfacing toolpath now allows the use of multi-core technology. The same applies to solid cut part simulation. More info provided on request.

But with multi-tasking going on, your CAD might be in one core and
printing or uploading in another. You won't have to swap out cores to
process another job that might be from the CAD or just the computer.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, July 26, 2014 9:16:29 PM UTC-7, Martin Eastburn wrote:
[...]

True but most CAD power users feel that the best performance from their history based solid modeling system is the most important thing they can have.

Users like this (I'm one of them) would rather have the fastest CAD and are willing to sacrifice just about everything else to get it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/26/2014 11:40 PM, jon_banquer wrote:
[...]

Granted, I use a number of CAD and CAM packages myself. That is why I
upped the memory so my VM isn't on a disk and isn't virtual.

Trying to get 3D shading is fun on small machines.

Martin