Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default new motherboard

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2014-07-26, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
On 7/25/2014 4:44 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 19, 2014 11:30:57 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
wrote:
SNIP

None of this addresses modern motherboards

Snag

You will have to define what 'modern' is and what 'motherboards'
you
expect.

I have a modern extensive motherboard in my PC. While it is only
64 bit machine, I hope for a bigger one someday but this might be
my
last.

[ ... ]

I've worked with corporate intranets that tolerated computers as
old
as Win 98SE, kept to run irreplaceable old custom software, by not
allowing them access to the external Internet. Even if they aren't
networked it's easy to store and transfer files on a 2TB portable
drive.

Does in 98SE even know what to do with a 2 TB drive -- portable
or non?

Enjoy,
DoN.

98SE is an example of what is tolerable if the program on it can't be
updated.

Older versions of Win2000 and XP don't see over 137GB, nor are the
computers built for them likely to gain from or even accept a USB3
card. OTOH their software won't generate job files larger than their
drive's capacity so you can transfer their output on a flash drive.

I just opened and read a 32GB Sandisk flash drive on a still-useful
computer from the 1990's running Win2000.
-jsw