Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How to scrub diesel exhaust

I bought a forklift today. It is a 30,000 lbs forklift with a diesel
engine.

To make it more palatable indoors, I would like to find some way to
scrub/purify exhaust gases. Can I add something, like a catalytic
converter, DEF box, afterburner, or some such?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27780 wrote:

I bought a forklift today. It is a 30,000 lbs forklift with a diesel
engine.

To make it more palatable indoors, I would like to find some way to
scrub/purify exhaust gases. Can I add something, like a catalytic
converter, DEF box, afterburner, or some such?

A DPF would trap soot, however they also need to be regenerated
regularly so you can't just add one to an exhaust system not designed
for them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus27780" wrote in message
I bought a forklift today. It is a 30,000 lbs forklift with a diesel
engine.

To make it more palatable indoors, I would like to find some way to
scrub/purify exhaust gases. Can I add something, like a catalytic
converter, DEF box, afterburner, or some such?

Its been a long time since all the warehouses that used to use propane
indoors (much cleaner than diesel) went all electric. Even if you modernize
it, you are still putting out way to much in emissions to be running it
indoors. I think it was in the late 70s or early 80s that lots of propane
forklifts hit the market because all those outfits got told they couldn't
use them indoors anymore.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Ignoramus27780" wrote in message
I bought a forklift today. It is a 30,000 lbs forklift with a diesel
engine.

To make it more palatable indoors, I would like to find some way to
scrub/purify exhaust gases. Can I add something, like a catalytic
converter, DEF box, afterburner, or some such?

Its been a long time since all the warehouses that used to use propane
indoors (much cleaner than diesel) went all electric. Even if you modernize
it, you are still putting out way to much in emissions to be running it
indoors. I think it was in the late 70s or early 80s that lots of propane
forklifts hit the market because all those outfits got told they couldn't
use them indoors anymore.

Using a diesel forklift indoors all day in a warehouse is a bit
different than a one-off use to move some big stuff out to the semi.

Realistically the only things I can think of are to bring along a big
vent fan to bring fresh air in, and potentially use an exhaust rated
hose to carry the exhaust out (like garages use in the winter). Having a
hose umbilical from the forklift might seem a bit hinky, but you aren't
going to be moving a ~30,000# load fast at all so one person managing
the hose would be reasonable.

One last thought would be to do an experiment piping the forklift
exhaust to the bottom of a 55gal drum half full of water. That should
trap a lot of the soot at least, and the water can be changed regularly.
I don't know if it's enough to help, but certainly a forklift that large
has room for such a drum on the back if it did work. Easy enough to
test.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus27780 wrote:

I bought a forklift today. It is a 30,000 lbs forklift with a diesel
engine.

To make it more palatable indoors, I would like to find some way to
scrub/purify exhaust gases. Can I add something, like a catalytic
converter, DEF box, afterburner, or some such?

A DPF would trap soot, however they also need to be regenerated
regularly so you can't just add one to an exhaust system not designed
for them.

And what about trapping noxious gases?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27780 wrote:
I bought a forklift today. It is a 30,000 lbs forklift with a diesel
engine.

To make it more palatable indoors, I would like to find some way to

not going to happen.

even the propane stuff is vile if you're near it all day.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-18, Pete C. wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

"Ignoramus27780" wrote in message
I bought a forklift today. It is a 30,000 lbs forklift with a diesel
engine.

To make it more palatable indoors, I would like to find some way to
scrub/purify exhaust gases. Can I add something, like a catalytic
converter, DEF box, afterburner, or some such?

Its been a long time since all the warehouses that used to use propane
indoors (much cleaner than diesel) went all electric. Even if you modernize
it, you are still putting out way to much in emissions to be running it
indoors. I think it was in the late 70s or early 80s that lots of propane
forklifts hit the market because all those outfits got told they couldn't
use them indoors anymore.

Using a diesel forklift indoors all day in a warehouse is a bit
different than a one-off use to move some big stuff out to the semi.

exactly.

Realistically the only things I can think of are to bring along a big
vent fan to bring fresh air in, and potentially use an exhaust rated
hose to carry the exhaust out (like garages use in the winter). Having a
hose umbilical from the forklift might seem a bit hinky, but you aren't
going to be moving a ~30,000# load fast at all so one person managing
the hose would be reasonable.

One last thought would be to do an experiment piping the forklift
exhaust to the bottom of a 55gal drum half full of water. That should
trap a lot of the soot at least, and the water can be changed regularly.
I don't know if it's enough to help, but certainly a forklift that large
has room for such a drum on the back if it did work. Easy enough to
test.

Piping exhaust through water, maybe while breaking up the floor of air
to make smaller bubbles, seems like a good idea to try.

However, the stinkiest part of the exhaust is probably nox and CO.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:26:57 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus27780 wrote:
I bought a forklift today. It is a 30,000 lbs forklift with a diesel

engine.

To make it more palatable indoors, I would like to find some way to

scrub/purify exhaust gases. Can I add something, like a catalytic

converter, DEF box, afterburner, or some such?

Remove the roof from your building. Problem solved.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 16:15:52 -0500, Ignoramus27780

On 2014-06-18, Pete C. wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I don't know about NOX but CO is odorless. Which is one of the reasons
it kills people. You cannot smell it and since it binds to hemoglobin
better than oxygen it slowly builds up in your blood and prevents
hemoglobin from attaching to oxygen. Since it is also a poison it
suffocates you as well as poisons you. And even if you get pure oxygen
after exposure to much CO it may not save your life because the CO
will be bound to the hemoglobin and the extra oxygen in your lungs
can't attach to anything that will do you any good. I think the
stinkiest part of the exhaust may well be in the sooty emissions. I
have noticed that when exposed to sooty diesel exhaust it stinks the
most.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-18, Pete C. wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

[...]

I have a '70s diesel tractor and an '09 diesel truck (with DPF), and the
'09 truck lacks the soot and most of the traditional diesel smell,
though it's exhaust is not odor free. Given that there should be big
doors open not too far away when operating the forklift indoors to say
remove big printing presses there will probably be enough ventilation to
not be a big safety issue. The drum of water might well be enough to
make everyone happier. 100' of exhaust umbilical may not be unreasonable
either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 18 Jun 2014 15:37:42 -0500, Ignoramus27780

On 2014-06-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus27780 wrote:

I bought a forklift today. It is a 30,000 lbs forklift with a diesel
engine.

To make it more palatable indoors, I would like to find some way to
scrub/purify exhaust gases. Can I add something, like a catalytic
converter, DEF box, afterburner, or some such?

A DPF would trap soot, however they also need to be regenerated
regularly so you can't just add one to an exhaust system not designed
for them.

And what about trapping noxious gases?

All the new fuels and contraptions actually create a whole lot more
toxic gases than the old sooty engines did. But it's "green"!
Feh!

--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus27780 wrote:

I bought a forklift today. It is a 30,000 lbs forklift with a diesel
engine.

To make it more palatable indoors, I would like to find some way to
scrub/purify exhaust gases. Can I add something, like a catalytic
converter, DEF box, afterburner, or some such?

A DPF would trap soot, however they also need to be regenerated
regularly so you can't just add one to an exhaust system not designed
for them.

And what about trapping noxious gases?

All the new fuels and contraptions actually create a whole lot more
toxic gases than the old sooty engines did. But it's "green"!

I am a practical person. I do not care about politics of pollution,
when I think about this forklift. All I want is

1) THat my people can work with this forklift when it is inside
2) That I am not kicked out of businesses for stinking up their
building.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus27780 wrote:

[...]

Maybe you should have thought about this before buying the forklift.

No doubt all you cared about was the low price you "stole" this diesel forklift for.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2014-06-18, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus27780 wrote:

I bought a forklift today. It is a 30,000 lbs forklift with a diesel
engine.

To make it more palatable indoors, I would like to find some way to
scrub/purify exhaust gases. Can I add something, like a catalytic
converter, DEF box, afterburner, or some such?

A DPF would trap soot, however they also need to be regenerated
regularly so you can't just add one to an exhaust system not designed
for them.

And what about trapping noxious gases?

All the new fuels and contraptions actually create a whole lot more
toxic gases than the old sooty engines did. But it's "green"!

I am a practical person. I do not care about politics of pollution,
when I think about this forklift. All I want is

The politics of pollution ensured that the output from the new engines
and diesel fuel GUARANTEED that the fumes are harmful to humans now.
Large particulates and soot didn't used to be, but the superfines they
put out now are causing statistically significant health problems
already.

1) THat my people can work with this forklift when it is inside
2) That I am not kicked out of businesses for stinking up their
building.

g Your best bet is an array of fans to vent the fumes out.

--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus10918" wrote in
message
2) That I am not kicked out of businesses for stinking up their
building.

Biodiesel from an ethnic restaurant?

How to tell wniter diesel from summer diesel Ignoramus24757 Metalworking 12 November 5th 12 01:44 AM
Scrub Plane Dr. Deb[_2_] Woodworking 0 October 9th 12 12:26 AM
diesel exhaust fluid Gary H[_7_] Home Repair 62 November 15th 10 12:25 PM
Emulating Scrub Plane Bill Woodworking 3 February 28th 10 10:17 PM
How to scrub an awning that is very tough to access? FacilityFred Home Repair 8 December 22nd 06 07:44 PM