Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wheel balancers for home use.

I have been looking for sometime for a wheel balancer for my home shop for my 1990 mustang, 2007 escape, 2013 Silverado, and my soon to be 16 year old daughter's car. (I already have a manual tire changer).

What do you guys know about these hand spun balancers? http://bgky.craigslist.org/for/4507041645.html

Are they very accurate and would they last a long time in a home shop? I am not sure parts can be purchased anymore.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 15:07:22 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

I have been looking for sometime for a wheel balancer for my home shop for my 1990 mustang, 2007 escape, 2013 Silverado, and my soon to be 16 year old daughter's car. (I already have a manual tire changer).

What do you guys know about these hand spun balancers? http://bgky.craigslist.org/for/4507041645.html

Are they very accurate and would they last a long time in a home shop? I am not sure parts can be purchased anymore.

It will probably outlast you and your daughter. Go for it.

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/9/2014 6:07 PM, stryped wrote:
I have been looking for sometime for a wheel balancer for my home shop for my 1990 mustang, 2007 escape, 2013 Silverado, and my soon to be 16 year old daughter's car. (I already have a manual tire changer).

What do you guys know about these hand spun balancers? http://bgky.craigslist.org/for/4507041645.html

Are they very accurate and would they last a long time in a home shop? I am not sure parts can be purchased anymore.

Ever try beads?
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:04:08 AM UTC-5, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 6/9/2014 6:07 PM, stryped wrote:

I have been looking for sometime for a wheel balancer for my home shop for my 1990 mustang, 2007 escape, 2013 Silverado, and my soon to be 16 year old daughter's car. (I already have a manual tire changer).

What do you guys know about these hand spun balancers? http://bgky.craigslist.org/for/4507041645.html

Are they very accurate and would they last a long time in a home shop? I am not sure parts can be purchased anymore.

Ever try beads?

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

I have read about those. But have also read conflicting reports as to if they work or not.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 05:10:17 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:04:08 AM UTC-5, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 6/9/2014 6:07 PM, stryped wrote:

I have been looking for sometime for a wheel balancer for my home shop for my 1990 mustang, 2007 escape, 2013 Silverado, and my soon to be 16 year old daughter's car. (I already have a manual tire changer).

What do you guys know about these hand spun balancers? http://bgky.craigslist.org/for/4507041645.html

Are they very accurate and would they last a long time in a home shop? I am not sure parts can be purchased anymore.

Ever try beads?

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

I have read about those. But have also read conflicting reports as to if they work or not.

I had a set of "speedbalancers" on the 53 Coronet and it was always
dead smooth. They are a disk with a tube of shot around the outer
circumference.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:04:08 AM UTC-5, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 6/9/2014 6:07 PM, stryped wrote:

I have been looking for sometime for a wheel balancer for my home
shop for my 1990 mustang, 2007 escape, 2013 Silverado, and my
soon to be 16 year old daughter's car. (I already have a manual
tire changer).

What do you guys know about these hand spun balancers?
http://bgky.craigslist.org/for/4507041645.html

Are they very accurate and would they last a long time in a home
shop? I am not sure parts can be purchased anymore.

Ever try beads?
http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

I have read about those. But have also read conflicting reports as
to if they work or not.

I made a balancer that supports the wheel slightly and adjustably
above its center of gravity and can show both static and dynamic
imbalance but I have to resharpen the balance point after every use
and decided to send this job to the tire shop for highway vehicles. I
still change low speed off-road tires manually.

Spinning the wheel shows dynamic imbalance since heavy spots above the
balance point on one side and below it on the other will pull
themselves into the plane of rotation, making the statically balanced
tire wobble.

The conical recess that rests on the upright point is in the end of a
Grade 5 bolt running through the center of the hub adapter. The bolt
adjusts how high the wheel is supported above its center of gravity,
and thus the sensitivity of the balance. It will detect 1/4 ounce of
imbalance.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:10:26 AM UTC-5, Jim Wilkins wrote:

I made a balancer that supports the wheel slightly and adjustably
above its center of gravity

Any pictures?

I post here to practice describing things without them.

It's not that different from a lawnmower blade balancer.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3174_200273174

Instead of a stepped cone the upper part is a hockey-puck-sized
aluminum disk that fits snugly into the wheel center hole. The disk
has a tapped hole through its center for the 1/2-20 adjusting bolt
which was center-drilled in the threaded lower end as the female half
of the balance point. The adjustment is to screw in the bolt, raising
the wheel until it tips sideways, then unscrew the bolt until the
wheel barely balances. Then the balance is very sensitive to a slight
off-center weight, even a penny.

There's no bubble, I use the pattern on my garage door or the
neighbor's driveway as a level reference. A bullseye bubble on the
bolt head would interfere with chucking it to recut the cone when it
wears. I could have turned the raised markings off the bolt head and
attached a bullseye level with magnetic tape, but before I got that
far I traced the vibration to a rusted-out shock mount instead of the
tire.

The upright male point could have been a long deck screw through a
square of plywood small enough to fit within the wheel, raised up on
bricks etc. The wheel adapter part was simple to make on a metal
lathe, nearly impossible without one.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 9, 2014 5:07:22 PM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
I have been looking for sometime for a wheel balancer for my home shop for my 1990 mustang, 2007 escape, 2013 Silverado, and my soon to be 16 year old daughter's car. (I already have a manual tire changer).

What do you guys know about these hand spun balancers? http://bgky.craigslist.org/for/4507041645.html

Are they very accurate and would they last a long time in a home shop? I am not sure parts can be purchased anymore.

I wish I had a lathe.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 14:43:36 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Monday, June 9, 2014 5:07:22 PM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
I have been looking for sometime for a wheel balancer for my home shop for my 1990 mustang, 2007 escape, 2013 Silverado, and my soon to be 16 year old daughter's car. (I already have a manual tire changer).

What do you guys know about these hand spun balancers? http://bgky.craigslist.org/for/4507041645.html

Are they very accurate and would they last a long time in a home shop? I am not sure parts can be purchased anymore.

I wish I had a lathe.....

Someone will glady sell you one.

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:

On Monday, June 9, 2014 5:07:22 PM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
I have been looking for sometime for a wheel balancer for my home shop
for my 1990 mustang, 2007 escape, 2013 Silverado, and my soon to be 16
year old daughter's car. (I already have a manual tire changer).

What do you guys know about these hand spun balancers?
http://bgky.craigslist.org/for/4507041645.html

Are they very accurate and would they last a long time in a home shop? I
am not sure parts can be purchased anymore.

I wish I had a lathe.....

WHAT??? You can't be ALLOWED to post here without machine tools in
your shop! What is the world coming to?

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have been looking for sometime for a wheel balancer for my home shop for my 1990 mustang, 2007 escape, 2013 Silverado, and my soon to be 16 year old daughter's car. (I already have a manual tire changer).

What do you guys know about these hand spun balancers? http://bgky.craigslist.org/for/4507041645.html

Are they very accurate and would they last a long time in a home shop? I am not sure parts can be purchased anymore.

====================
Are you sure you need a spin balancer?

At normal speeds and putting two small weights, one inside
and one on the outside of the rim may be all you need.
http://www.amazon.com/Bullseye-Level.../dp/B00466L2GU

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FbTm7AodG3gA7g
http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...cer-39741.html

YouTube in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp3ShyNzK84

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I wish I had a lathe.....

Someone will glady sell you one.

A search for machine shop auctions showed quite a few recent ones in
Ohio, though nothing current.

Be careful, that first lathe is a gateway drug to cast-iron addiction.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in
message ...

At normal speeds and putting two small weights, one inside
and one on the outside of the rim may be all you need.
http://www.amazon.com/Bullseye-Level.../dp/B00466L2GU

The general solution is four equal weights, in pairs spaced
equidistantly on both sides of the light spot, which is the place the
bubble moves toward. Move them closer together to increase their
effect, further apart to decrease it. As "F" said put one of each pair
on the outside of the rim and the other one opposite it on the inside
so they don't change the dynamic balance.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 19:52:28 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

I wish I had a lathe.....

Someone will glady sell you one.

A search for machine shop auctions showed quite a few recent ones in
Ohio, though nothing current.

Be careful, that first lathe is a gateway drug to cast-iron addiction.
-jsw

Ayup...once you get hooked...you are happily doomed for eternity!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422.../ShopDec282012

Almost like...sailboats....

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 20:22:27 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in
message ...

At normal speeds and putting two small weights, one inside
and one on the outside of the rim may be all you need.
http://www.amazon.com/Bullseye-Level.../dp/B00466L2GU

The general solution is four equal weights, in pairs spaced
equidistantly on both sides of the light spot, which is the place the
bubble moves toward. Move them closer together to increase their
effect, further apart to decrease it. As "F" said put one of each pair
on the outside of the rim and the other one opposite it on the inside
so they don't change the dynamic balance.
-jsw

But what if the dynamic balance NEEDS changing. In my experience if a
tire is out of balance statically it is also out dynamically - and the
dynamic balance is often farther off than the static. I've spin
balanced tens of thousands of tires over the years. At least.
Dynamic balance is not much of an issue on a live rear axle, but can
be quite critical on a light independent front suspension.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 20:22:27 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in
message ...

[...]

I taped the weights in place and spun the wheel by hand to find the
new high spot.

Here's a drawing and explanation of a statically balanced but
dynamically imbalanced tire wobbling when rotated.
http://www.derekweaver.com/learn/wheel-balancer/
"When the tire is spinning the heavy spot will tend to seek the
centerline of the tire."

It wasn't off by much. I just looked and there's only one 0.5 ounce
weight in the outside.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 9, 2014 5:07:22 PM UTC-5, stryped wrote:
I have been looking for sometime for a wheel balancer for my home shop for my 1990 mustang, 2007 escape, 2013 Silverado, and my soon to be 16 year old daughter's car. (I already have a manual tire changer).

What do you guys know about these hand spun balancers? http://bgky.craigslist.org/for/4507041645.html

Are they very accurate and would they last a long time in a home shop? I am not sure parts can be purchased anymore.

If a person wanted to just purchase a unit for ocassional home use, would you buy a cheaper, new one that is obviously chinnese made, or would you buy one for a couple hundred bucks but American made from craigslist but 20 or more years old?

I have found a used Hunter but that is about 20 years old on craigslist for 500. I can buy a new chinesse manufactured one for 850. (A "Titan" I believe.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message

If a person wanted to just purchase a unit for ocassional home use,
would you buy a cheaper, new one that is obviously chinnese made, or
would you buy one for a couple hundred bucks but American made from
craigslist but 20 or more years old?

That depends on how well you can evaluate the non-returnable used one
before buying it. With new Chinese stuff you're more likely to get at
least some use out of it before it breaks, and then get your money
back.

A large fraction of the equipment I've bought second-hand had a fault
the owner didn't know how to fix, which I found and used to talk the
price down. Sometimes it was as simple as a missing circlip on a floor
jack or a nice APC 1400 sine-wave UPS with bulged batterys the owner
hadn't figured out how to remove, which is simple but not at all
obvious.

I bought the HF Mini Tire Changer knowing that the cast aluminum lever
breaks, so before using it I added steel straps to the sides. All it's
really gained me is not having to degrease myself and shave and shower
to drive the problem wheel to the local shop, then immediately get
grubby again afterwards. For the time it takes, the money saved is
less than minimum wage.
http://www.harborfreight.com/mini-ti...ger-61179.html

I don't think that car & truck tires are worth the trouble to do at
home since they rarely need attention except to install newly bought
tires, unlike all my ancient and deteriorating small-wheeled
equipment. This past winter I paid $25 to have an alloy wheel with a
rim leak demounted, cleaned up, remounted and balanced. That was the
only cost since buying the tires. The steering wheel vibration I made
the balancer for was really a shock absorber problem.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 13:15:40 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

I bought the HF Mini Tire Changer knowing that the cast aluminum lever
breaks, so before using it I added steel straps to the sides. All it's
really gained me is not having to degrease myself and shave and shower
to drive the problem wheel to the local shop, then immediately get
grubby again afterwards

Good grief..you clean up in mid project to go to the store????

Whatever for?

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought the HF Mini Tire Changer knowing that the cast aluminum lever
breaks, so before using it I added steel straps to the sides. All it's
really gained me is not having to degrease myself and shave and shower
to drive the problem wheel to the local shop, then immediately get
grubby again afterwards

Good grief..you clean up in mid project to go to the store????

Whatever for?

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"

So SWMBO does't kill me for messing up HER wheels!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought the HF Mini Tire Changer knowing that the cast aluminum lever
breaks, so before using it I added steel straps to the sides. All it's
really gained me is not having to degrease myself and shave and shower
to drive the problem wheel to the local shop, then immediately get
grubby again afterwards

Good grief..you clean up in mid project to go to the store????

Whatever for?

Huh? If you're filthy and reek when you go to the store, the help
disappears. Try a shower before shopping some time. You might find
more employees willing to ring up your order or find parts for you.
Seriously. Back when I was an auto mechanic, I got all sorts of dirty
looks when I went to the grocery store after work, dirty and smelling
of gasoline and/or oil. Hypoid gear lube scent makes people -run- the
other way, BTW. DAMHIKT.

--
It is characteristic of all deep human problems that they are
not to be approached without some humor and some bewilderment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought the HF Mini Tire Changer knowing that the cast aluminum
lever
breaks, so before using it I added steel straps to the sides. All
it's
really gained me is not having to degrease myself and shave and
shower
to drive the problem wheel to the local shop, then immediately get
grubby again afterwards

Good grief..you clean up in mid project to go to the store????

Whatever for?

Because I don't like having to pull the seat out of the car to wash
black axle grease out of it.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought the HF Mini Tire Changer knowing that the cast aluminum lever
breaks, so before using it I added steel straps to the sides. All it's
really gained me is not having to degrease myself and shave and shower
to drive the problem wheel to the local shop, then immediately get
grubby again afterwards

Good grief..you clean up in mid project to go to the store????

Whatever for?

Huh? If you're filthy and reek when you go to the store, the help
disappears. Try a shower before shopping some time. You might find
more employees willing to ring up your order or find parts for you.
Seriously. Back when I was an auto mechanic, I got all sorts of dirty
looks when I went to the grocery store after work, dirty and smelling
of gasoline and/or oil. Hypoid gear lube scent makes people -run- the
other way, BTW. DAMHIKT.

So you stop working to go to the grocery store then come back to dig
in?

Using Lard for lube or something?

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Nah, that was other f'rinstances.

Using Lard for lube or something?

But of course. Doesn't everyone? I mean, if you're gonna pork her...

--
There is s no such thing as a hyphenated American who is
a good American.* The only man who is a good American is
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 13:48:14 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Fri, 13 Jun 2014 08:02:56 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014 21:55:02 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

wrote:

I bought the HF Mini Tire Changer knowing that the cast aluminum lever
breaks, so before using it I added steel straps to the sides. All it's
really gained me is not having to degrease myself and shave and shower
to drive the problem wheel to the local shop, then immediately get
grubby again afterwards

Good grief..you clean up in mid project to go to the store????

Whatever for?

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"
So SWMBO does't kill me for messing up HER wheels!!!

So drive your own!

When I've got the wheel off of it??? or other parts?

Bicycle??

VBG

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"

"Libertarianism IS fascism... Fascism is corporate government – a Libertarian’s wet dream"
Tala Brandeis
Owner at Tala Brandeis Associates"

To pick up small parts I'll take my bike - but I'll clean up before
riding IT too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
I have been looking for sometime for a wheel balancer for my home shop for my 1990 mustang, 2007 escape, 2013 Silverado, and my soon to be 16 year old daughter's car. (I already have a manual tire changer).

What do you guys know about these hand spun balancers? http://bgky.craigslist.org/for/4507041645.html

Are they very accurate and would they last a long time in a home shop? I am not sure parts can be purchased anymore.

Anyone got a picture that one has been removed.