Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I've been doing this too long / long enough.

I'm back in school, retraining to be a CAD guy. As I say, when I
first took drafting, it was pencil on paper, "Computer Aided" meant
we'd eventually have robots to put the ink on the paper to make
duplicates. So, now I'm at that part of the course where we start
focusing on the other end: drawings. Getting all the dimensions and
notes and "fiddly bits" on the "paper".
So yesterday, Brent asks if the drawing is good. "Well ... (grab
a mechanical pencil from my shirt ... which just happened to grab the
one with the red lead.) this is good, you forgot this dimmension, you
need a note for the knurling, and ... oh there is a 'trick' to define
chamfers in one click, I'll show you..." You _have_ to have
everything defined, no it is not 4x .19" x 45° ... I think he was
getting a bit flustered and wasn't "seeing" the completed part ...
We decided there was too much work to recover the drawing to get
that last point (he already had 24 of the 25).

But I was thinking "I just need to have those dimensions in order
to make this."

Same goes for the fit & tolerances exercise. I missed it the firs
time because ... well, interferences get added, while clearances get
subtracted. And being, on occasion, a bit of the show off - I found
that the appendix to the textbook was in error. Or at least did not
match up with the table in the Machinery Handbook. On consultation
with The Boss/ Instructor, we decided that we would go with "company
policy" (the text book) rather than 'buck the system.'

Oh well, now I'm trying to remember how to get a surface in
Mastercam for the next project.

Stressful as it can be, I'm having fun.

--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/30/2014 12:07 AM, pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Study the great CAD books by M.C. Escher.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks on Wed, 30 Apr 2014 02:43:17 -0400 typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
[...]

Study them? I'm trying to recreate some of those layouts!

And have you ever tried to draw a malleable logarithmic curve for
the casing to support those two main spurving bearings? In a student
version of Mastercam?
Well, neither have I. Too much homework I should be doing
instead.

--
pyotr filipivich
"One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
I'm back in school, retraining to be a CAD guy. As I say, when I

I feel your pain. On the other side it took me a while to understand that
"perfectly" dimensioned parts will not fit together. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

F. George McDuffee on Wed, 30 Apr
2014 15:43:04 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:08:08 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

snip
draw a malleable logarithmic curve

/snip

Does the student version of mastercam include the ability to
execute visual basic or lisp add-ins or import points? If
so a simple program may be helpful or use Excel/OpenOffice
spreadsheet to generate the points and export in .csv
format.

Don't know. For the amount of time I have, and the amount of
classwork I'm behind upon - I'll have to wait till after finals to
test.
--
pyotr filipivich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" on Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:17:58 -0700
"pyotr filipivich" wrote in message
.. .
I'm back in school, retraining to be a CAD guy. As I say, when I

I feel your pain. On the other side it took me a while to understand that
"perfectly" dimensioned parts will not fit together. LOL.

That's why tolerances were designed.

Yesterday I learned that one adds the interference amount, not
subtract it. And that the textbook had errors when compared to The
Book (Machinery Handbook).

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm back in school, retraining to be a CAD guy. As I say, when I
first took drafting, it was pencil on paper, "Computer Aided" meant
we'd eventually have robots to put the ink on the paper to make
duplicates. So, now I'm at that part of the course where we start
focusing on the other end: drawings. Getting all the dimensions and
notes and "fiddly bits" on the "paper".

I am going through a course for certification in vibration analysis,
category 2. Then, in the middle of it, 5 out of six of the class were
called back to their workplaces because of emergency situations. I'm
glad, I will get extra study time. Man, the brain doesn't work very
well when you give it a lot of time off. Anyway, this will be a global
certification, and well worth it. I'm studying two hours a day, and
really want this. Boss went to the new Caesar's ferris wheel in Vegas
to set it up for permanent in place monitoring, and although I worked
hard, did not get to go.

Glad I'm having a good spell, feeling well medically, and absorbing the
material. They are teaching us longhand, and then we will get the
analyzers that do it all with the click of a mouse. But, they want us
to know if inside and out, and then they will give us the magic short
cut box. I'm pretty excited. And I find it ironic that there is a
recession/depression/holocaust out there, and yet I have people seeking
me out for good employment. Go figger.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB on Fri, 02 May 2014 20:31:56 -0700 typed
[...]

Some sectors have a surfeit of qualified applicants, (What's the
difference between a Barista with a college degree and Barista without
one? About a $100,000 in student loans.); other sectors just don't
have the work.
Some sectors still have openings, but they are the dirty jobs, or
the jobs which require some skill - like showing up on time, every
day. There is still a bias against jobs which actually make things,
there is too much push for a "service" economy. One overlooked
element in a "service" economy - where are they going to get the
"material attributes" to perform their "service"? Even the squeegee
men have to have a squeegee and a bucket... where are those going to
be made?

--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 03 May 2014 08:56:26 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Even the squeegee
men have to have a squeegee and a bucket... where are those going to
be made?

China?

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Even the squeegee
men have to have a squeegee and a bucket... where are those going to
be made?

China?

Right, upper downtown Chiwan.

--