Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A Long Long Tale of B&Q Mixer Taps

I bought a kitchen mixer set with twin taps from B&Q around
6 months ago.

On opening it for the first time yesterday, just to measure
the exact length of the tap stems I noticed that inside the
mixer body - under where the arm will fit there were still
traces of the mould sand. It was definitely mould sand as you
could scrape it off with a screwdriver to reveal the brass underneath.
Fair enough maybe the insides of all mixer bodies have traces of mould
sand as the insides are a hard place to get at.

However having started poking around I noticed there was a big
sand covered obstruction in the hollow mixer body between the
cold tap and the middle, but no similar obstruction between the
hot tap and the middle. Not knowing much about taps and having bought it
at B&Q I automatically assumed it was a fault. Possibly my first big mistake.

So I went to B&Q this morning hoping to buy a perfect set, intending to use
that receipt to return the old set and get a refund as I couldn't find the B&Q
receipt from 6 months ago.
- Definitely my second big mistake
Although it will probably turn up around next March.

Anyway going back to B&Q this morning I started checking the others
in stock. They're well packed with strapping so it takes a Stanley
knife to open them, which I'd brought along.

The first one I opened had a similar obstruction and I was spotted
by the assistant opening the second one. "Hey what are you doing ?"
I half lost my rag with the poor guy, explaining that B&Q sold such
rubbish it was necessary to open everything first. I then calmed down
and explained the problem to him inviting him to poke his finger inside
the mixer to feel the obstruction for himself. When he was satisfied it
was there, we both opened the second set and the problem was the same. He
then went and got various tools and effectively destroyed the second mixer
set trying and failing to get the taps off to see if you could feel the
obstruction from the other side.

This was now pointless as without a good set to buy, to get a receipt
to get a refund on the faulty ones, I was going to have to try a different
tack. I called for the manager just to get him to confirm there was an
obstruction. He confirmed there was, didn't know anything about taps either,
explained he didn't have the discretion to give refunds without a receipt and
suggested I phoned B&Q head office. He was writing out various addresses -
this was after I'd been there about half and hour and I just got up and said
"sod it, I'm walking away from this, you can have my £50 mate" and walked out.

Having got home, I thought I'd try connecting the set up to the garden hose
using a spare flexible tap connector, and the cold tap seems to work o.k
despite the obstruction. So maybe there's supposed to be an obstruction
there on the cold water side. Dunno.

The problem as I explained to the people in B&Q is that its a lot of hassle
turning the water off to fit a new set of taps especially if you only find out
later there's something wrong with them. Maybe someone there could be expected to
know what the insides of a mixer body are supposed to look like without destroying
the taps in an effort to be helpful, or maybe not.

Anyway, its fingers crossed.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "michael adams"
saying something like:

Having got home, I thought I'd try connecting the set up to the garden hose
using a spare flexible tap connector, and the cold tap seems to work o.k
despite the obstruction. So maybe there's supposed to be an obstruction
there on the cold water side. Dunno.

The cold kitchen tap is mains connected and the hot is normally (still,
in most houses) tank fed. A built-in restrictor on the cold feed makes
sense. Unlike the Froggies, who tend to have equal pressure kitchen
mixers, more suitable for a pressurised hot and cold, or equally low
pressures, if needed.
It'll probably be ok.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:51:11 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
The cold kitchen tap is mains connected and the hot is normally (still,
in most houses) tank fed. A built-in restrictor on the cold feed makes
sense. Unlike the Froggies, who tend to have equal pressure kitchen
mixers, more suitable for a pressurised hot and cold, or equally low
pressures, if needed.
It'll probably be ok.

That seems odd, though... why not leave the restrictor out and let people
add one upstream on the cold supply only if they need it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:51:11 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
The cold kitchen tap is mains connected and the hot is normally (still,
in most houses) tank fed. A built-in restrictor on the cold feed makes
sense. Unlike the Froggies, who tend to have equal pressure kitchen
mixers, more suitable for a pressurised hot and cold, or equally low
pressures, if needed.
It'll probably be ok.

That seems odd, though... why not leave the restrictor out and let people
add one upstream on the cold supply only if they need it?

I thought that at first, that it might be to do with the different pressure but then
thought that would be best solved surely, by changing a bore inside the actual
tap. Rather than a hit and miss approach with a lump in the middle of a hollow
casting. It hardly looks or feels like precision engineering. Anyway the garden tap
is full mains pressure - it feeds in before the internal stopcock and the
garden hose never fell off at either end and there were no leaks when running
the full pressure mains through the hose and out through the cold tap.
I just feel a bit mean for being so nasty to the B&Q staff in walking off
in a huff. They were doing their best even if they didn't have a clue.
Cheap jibe - B & Clueless.

I'm probably banned now anyway,

michael adams

Mixer taps [email protected] UK diy 0 November 26th 06 05:42 PM
mixer taps davemo UK diy 11 November 9th 06 02:06 PM
how long have water taps used o-rings instead of hemp? [email protected] UK diy 15 January 7th 06 01:58 AM
Shock well - how long is too long? S.L. Home Ownership 1 January 16th 05 10:43 PM
making long taps Don Huseman Metalworking 7 August 12th 03 02:20 AM