Posted to uk.d-i-y
michael adams[_3_] michael adams[_3_] is offline

Default A Long Long Tale of B&Q Mixer Taps

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:51:11 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
The cold kitchen tap is mains connected and the hot is normally (still,
in most houses) tank fed. A built-in restrictor on the cold feed makes
sense. Unlike the Froggies, who tend to have equal pressure kitchen
mixers, more suitable for a pressurised hot and cold, or equally low
pressures, if needed.
It'll probably be ok.

That seems odd, though... why not leave the restrictor out and let people
add one upstream on the cold supply only if they need it?

I thought that at first, that it might be to do with the different pressure but then
thought that would be best solved surely, by changing a bore inside the actual
tap. Rather than a hit and miss approach with a lump in the middle of a hollow
casting. It hardly looks or feels like precision engineering. Anyway the garden tap
is full mains pressure - it feeds in before the internal stopcock and the
garden hose never fell off at either end and there were no leaks when running
the full pressure mains through the hose and out through the cold tap.
I just feel a bit mean for being so nasty to the B&Q staff in walking off
in a huff. They were doing their best even if they didn't have a clue.
Cheap jibe - B & Clueless.

I'm probably banned now anyway,

michael adams