Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Well, that took too long...

Dear Tim,
My similiar experience, I can relate. The steering pump
on my 1989 Blazer went. I got one from a junk yard. Find out
that it's necessary to extract the pulley to get the old
out, new on. Of course, it's winter time and snow on the
ground. I did manage the pulley exchange, using a $30 puller
from Advance Auto Parts and Battery. I'm sure I've still got
the puller, but no clue where it is.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Just to show that real metalworking discussion happens on
this group,
I'm happy to report that I took a pulley off a power
steering pump today
-- after much too much time.

Problem:

Swap-meet pump has brackets that don't fit, and a stud that
some @#$%
gorilla has apparently torched off. I spent about a year
being
discouraged by the whole project, thinking I was going to
have to build
brackets. All this so that I can announce to the world that
I'm a wimp
who needs power steering.

(SWMBO says "power steering is a must". Doesn't she know
that armstrong
steering is manly? Doesn't she care? What does she mean
she's 5' 2"
and can barely reach the pedals -- doesn't she know that
power steering
on a '63 Suburban isn't ORIGINAL**???)

But I was visiting my brother's storage shop a while back,
and noticed
that one of the old Chevy small blocks that he keeps for
rebuildable
cores has just exactly the right brackets to fit on the 327
that's in
the old Suburban that I'm restoring. "Hey Karl -- can I
have that there
piece of junk that's hanging off your old engine*". The
pulley's
obviously been bent in a collision, but the bracketry --
ooh, hold me back.

But I hit a snag. After happily bringing home the Pump That
Will Fit
The Engine, and assessing the situation, I decide I need to
swap
pulleys. I can't just put the swap meet pump into the good
brackets
because of the former owner, gorilla mechanic. So the
pulleys have to
be swapped. I'm encouraged by the fact that the poor old
swap meet pump
has a pulley that comes right off, no problem -- but then I
try the
Other One. Crap. Not only is it bent, but it's stuck and
stuck good.
What to do? RCM to the rescue!

Solution:

So, penetrating oil, bang lightly with a hammer (until I
bung up the
threads a bit -- oops, better stop now), more oil, try a
gear puller
(wow, those pulleys sure do bend easily!). Finally get
around to the
real deal today -- hit the pulley hub with a rosebud.

I had to get that frigging thing up to heat almost to the
point where it
glowed. And I expected that it'd just go "BANG!" and toss
my gear
puller halfway across the room from relieved tension. Oh
no. Put on
the rosebud, get it up to heat -- "tick, tick". Put rosebud
on other
side "tick, tick, tick". Tighten gear puller, repeat --
half a dozen
@#$% times. Finally it's off, and the gear puller does
_not_ win the
unintentionally self-propelled tool distance award.

Gunner will yawn, and say that he has to do that at least
once a week,
and sometimes he has far worse to contend with. I'm sure he
does -- but
this was irritating enough for me.

Anyway, now I have a power steering pump that'll fit my
engine, and a
crank pulley. Since the steering box is already on***, that
means that
I just have to figure out how to get hoses built, and I'll
have power
steering! Yay! Too bad the rest of the truck is a
disaster****.

Group involvement:

All the times that someone said "Use Kroil, and if that
doesn't work,
bang on it, and if that doesn't work heat it up good an
hot". All of
which I knew, of course, but some people need the repetition
to actually
go out and do something.

* Bargaining tip #1. Never, ever, look at something, say
WHOA! THAT'S
WHAT I NEED! and fall on the floor foaming at the mouth.
Even if the
owner is your brother. _Especially_ if the owner is _my_
brother.
"I'll take that smelly piece of **** off your hands for
free, Karl." is
always the right approach to take with him.

** Alas, she knows that a 327 with a 4 barrel isn't
original, either.

*** And that's a saga in itself -- there's a kit for that,
whose
directions I followed and whose templates I trustingly
used -- only to
find that it puts the box at the wrong angle; So toss _that_
POS, and
just keep the steering shaft adapter. Not all unworkable
crap comes
from China!

**** The former owner -- the one who put in the 327, the
Volkwagen van
seats, and the radiator from god only knows what, was
obviously
convinced that he was a mechanical genius. I'm not so sure
of that.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

"Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" was written
for you.
See details at
http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Dear Tim,
My similiar experience, I can relate. The steering pump
on my 1989 Blazer went. I got one from a junk yard. Find out
that it's necessary to extract the pulley to get the old
out, new on. Of course, it's winter time and snow on the
ground. I did manage the pulley exchange, using a $30 puller
from Advance Auto Parts and Battery. I'm sure I've still got
the puller, but no clue where it is.

The next time you need some special tool you don't have to buy it.
Advance and Auto-Zone both have tool rental programs now.
You basically go in, they get the tool off the shelf in the back,
open it to make sure it's all there

Then they charge you the price of the tool. When you return the tool in
the same shape as you picked it up they return your money.
Comes in handy for those oddball tools you might need once in 10 years.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 09 Jan 2011 23:32:14 -0500, "Steve W."
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Dear Tim,
My similiar experience, I can relate. The steering pump
on my 1989 Blazer went. I got one from a junk yard. Find out
that it's necessary to extract the pulley to get the old
out, new on. Of course, it's winter time and snow on the
ground. I did manage the pulley exchange, using a $30 puller
from Advance Auto Parts and Battery. I'm sure I've still got
the puller, but no clue where it is.

The next time you need some special tool you don't have to buy it.
Advance and Auto-Zone both have tool rental programs now.
You basically go in, they get the tool off the shelf in the back,
open it to make sure it's all there

Then they charge you the price of the tool. When you return the tool in
the same shape as you picked it up they return your money.
Comes in handy for those oddball tools you might need once in 10 years.

Came across this several years back, borrowed the store's tool worth
$10, they required a $5 deposit. When I asked "what happens if I don't
bring it back", the answer was "you got yourself a bargain." Is it any
wonder all their loaners were in the original packaging?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada