Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Touch lamps

Over the years I have amassed a collection of a dozen or so touch lamps
that don't work. Some were cheap and some weren't, most donated some I
bought. I haven't looked at any of them but now I could use a few and
some are really quite nice. I was thinking of just putting an in-line
switch on the cord and direct wiring the bulbs unless there is a
cheap-easy fix and a common denominator problem. I don't even know how
they work other than it's body capacitance or such.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tom Gardner wrote:

Over the years I have amassed a collection of a dozen or so touch lamps
that don't work. Some were cheap and some weren't, most donated some I
bought. I haven't looked at any of them but now I could use a few and
some are really quite nice. I was thinking of just putting an in-line
switch on the cord and direct wiring the bulbs unless there is a
cheap-easy fix and a common denominator problem. I don't even know how
they work other than it's body capacitance or such.

Somebody makes a cheap, universal touch switch module, but I don't know
where to get them. I'd think maybe a local lamp store might know.
Possibly a craft place like Michael's.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:19:53 -0400
Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

Over the years I have amassed a collection of a dozen or so touch lamps
that don't work. Some were cheap and some weren't, most donated some I
bought. I haven't looked at any of them but now I could use a few and
some are really quite nice. I was thinking of just putting an in-line
switch on the cord and direct wiring the bulbs unless there is a
cheap-easy fix and a common denominator problem. I don't even know how
they work other than it's body capacitance or such.

See if any of these repair kits help:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...lamp%22+repair

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 19:35:05 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

On 3/20/2014 3:02 PM, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:19:53 -0400
Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

Over the years I have amassed a collection of a dozen or so touch lamps
that don't work. Some were cheap and some weren't, most donated some I
bought. I haven't looked at any of them but now I could use a few and
some are really quite nice. I was thinking of just putting an in-line
switch on the cord and direct wiring the bulbs unless there is a
cheap-easy fix and a common denominator problem. I don't even know how
they work other than it's body capacitance or such.

See if any of these repair kits help:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...lamp%22+repair

Ahaa!

If you can wait a month for shipping, they're under $2 apiece from
China, with free shipping. http://tinyurl.com/pbcuexw

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/20/2014 11:14 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

Does the 220v label matter?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 03/20/2014 08:14 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

If you can wait a month for shipping, they're under $2 apiece from
China, with free shipping. http://tinyurl.com/pbcuexw

Last thing I ordered from PRC got here in a week and a half; lately it's
been about two weeks, give or take a day or two. What seems to decide
it is how fast they put it in the post; once it's mailed, it takes a
little more than a week to show up in the mailbox.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 02:04:42 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

[...]

Oops! Well, if you fold the input wires in half and hold your mouth
juuuuuuust right...

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
than not, unconsidered.
-- Andre Gide
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 07:47:54 -0700, Jon Danniken
wrote:

On 03/20/2014 08:14 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

If you can wait a month for shipping, they're under $2 apiece from
China, with free shipping. http://tinyurl.com/pbcuexw

Last thing I ordered from PRC got here in a week and a half; lately it's
been about two weeks, give or take a day or two. What seems to decide
it is how fast they put it in the post; once it's mailed, it takes a
little more than a week to show up in the mailbox.

Maybe they're adding people to the Oriental DHS. They stopped just
passing through cargo boxes and started looking at each box as of last
Christmas, according to some vendors I've been buying from.

I'm glad that the Chinese gov't is subsidizing all the mail. I'm
having a ball in imports.

--
The most decisive actions of our life - I mean those that are most
likely to decide the whole course of our future - are, more often
than not, unconsidered.
-- Andre Gide
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:19:53 -0400, Tom Gardner Mars@Tacks wrote:

Over the years I have amassed a collection of a dozen or so touch lamps
that don't work. Some were cheap and some weren't, most donated some I
bought. I haven't looked at any of them but now I could use a few and
some are really quite nice. I was thinking of just putting an in-line
switch on the cord and direct wiring the bulbs unless there is a
cheap-easy fix and a common denominator problem. I don't even know how
they work other than it's body capacitance or such.

A Ham radio next door will turn the lamp on and off. Particularly in
CW mode it is quite spectacular. Ask me how I know...

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:19:53 AM UTC-10, Tom Gardner wrote:
Over the years I have amassed a collection of a dozen or so touch lamps

that don't work. Some were cheap and some weren't, most donated some I

bought. I haven't looked at any of them but now I could use a few and

some are really quite nice. I was thinking of just putting an in-line

switch on the cord and direct wiring the bulbs unless there is a

cheap-easy fix and a common denominator problem. I don't even know how

they work other than it's body capacitance or such.

Been a while since I've been here. Home Depot has the module for about $10. It's usually in the lamp parts section. But could be in the dimmer section.
Karl