Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fitz

Default Touch lamps and low energy bulbs?

I'm presuming that the metal based lamps which you touch to dim can't
be used with energy saving bulbs...

That being the case is the circuit easy to bypass/remove inside?

I would like a pair of small, chrome bodied table lamps that will be
connected to a wall circuit, switched by the main wall switch. I want
to fit appropriate brightness bulbs so that the circuit as a whole is
the correct brightness.

A local shop is selling a pair of nice chrome bodied lamps, for £14 a
pair. the trouble is they are touch lamps and we would prefer to use
low energy bulbs.

I'm toying with the idea of dismantling and simply rewiring them as
normal lamps without the touch bit. Can anyone think of a reason why
this may not be as simple as it sounds?

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sadly

Fitz wrote:
[...]

You are correct that you need to bypass the dimming circuitry.

It is probably quite easy to do, but I urge you to ensure that whoever
does it is used to working with electricity and knows the safety
regulations. Modifying a mains powered device - especially one with a
metal outer - is the sort of thing that starts many a sad tale.

Someone with a basic knowledge of electricity can be quite surprised to
find out what strange things can go wrong with seemingly simle items. I
might go as far as saying you could be shocked!