Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Use for lime dessicant?

I have a bunch of the little silica gel packets saved and dry and use
some from time to time. Just got a similar dessicant packet from the
nori we made sushi with, and it's labelled "Lime Dessicant/Do Not
Eat/Do Not Open/Your Children Will Die/blah/blah".

So wp says this stuff is (by now) calcium hydroxide. Any use in the
home shop? We eat a lot of sushi.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 15-Mar-14 7:46 PM, thunk wrote:
I have a bunch of the little silica gel packets saved and dry and use
some from time to time. Just got a similar dessicant packet from the
nori we made sushi with, and it's labelled "Lime Dessicant/Do Not
Eat/Do Not Open/Your Children Will Die/blah/blah".

So wp says this stuff is (by now) calcium hydroxide. Any use in the
home shop? We eat a lot of sushi.

I dunno, but I do know you can re-dehydrate desiccant for reuse. Low
heat for a long time does the job.

Maybe put good tools in a ziplock baggy with a desiccant pack for long
term storage.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 08:46:54 -0300, thunk wrote:

I have a bunch of the little silica gel packets saved and dry and use
some from time to time. Just got a similar dessicant packet from the
nori we made sushi with, and it's labelled "Lime Dessicant/Do Not
Eat/Do Not Open/Your Children Will Die/blah/blah".

So wp says this stuff is (by now) calcium hydroxide. Any use in the
home shop? We eat a lot of sushi.

I use the hell out of it in ammo storage, along with electronic
storage of components.

--

"
I was once told by a “gun safety” advocate back in the Nineties

I began to give him a reasoned answer and he
cut me off with an abrupt, “Give me the short answer.”

I thought for a moment and said, “If you try to take our firearms we will kill you.”"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 20:56:05 +0800, Kennedy
wrote:

On 15-Mar-14 7:46 PM, thunk wrote:
I have a bunch of the little silica gel packets saved and dry and use
some from time to time. Just got a similar dessicant packet from the
nori we made sushi with, and it's labelled "Lime Dessicant/Do Not
Eat/Do Not Open/Your Children Will Die/blah/blah".

So wp says this stuff is (by now) calcium hydroxide. Any use in the
home shop? We eat a lot of sushi.

I dunno, but I do know you can re-dehydrate desiccant for reuse. Low
heat for a long time does the job.

Maybe put good tools in a ziplock baggy with a desiccant pack for long
term storage.

I was thinking more as a chemical than as a dessicant. I find myself
doing quite a bit of electrolytic derusting with the current batch of
projects and might want to do some small plating after I find out more
about it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It could be only Quicklime, which you can buy cheaply in bulk.
http://www.limeindustries.com.au/index-3.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Quicklime

Unlike silica gel you have to heat it hot enough to destroy the packet
to dry and reuse it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel
"Once saturated with water, the gel can be regenerated by heating it
to 120 °C (250 °F) for two hours."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

And it can be quite easy to overheat & destroy the silica gel packet,
guess how I know that........

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Kennedy" wrote in message
. au...
On 16-Mar-14 11:39 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel
"Once saturated with water, the gel can be regenerated by heating
it
to 120 °C (250 °F) for two hours."

And it can be quite easy to overheat & destroy the silica gel
packet, guess how I know that........

This gives you low-cost, reasonably accurate high temperature
measurement in places where you can't use a stem or dial oven
thermometer:
http://www.amazon.com/TM-902C-Digita...ywords=tm-902c

Mine makes good contact with plugs from Omega. It shows only Celsius.
Personally I like air temperatures in F because I can relate to them,
but do all scientific measurement in metric.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, March 15, 2014 4:46:54 AM UTC-7, thunk wrote:
I have a bunch of the little silica gel packets saved and dry and use
some from time to time. Just got a similar dessicant packet from the
nori we made sushi with, and it's labelled "Lime Dessicant/Do Not
Eat/Do Not Open/Your Children Will Die/blah/blah".

So wp says this stuff is (by now) calcium hydroxide. Any use in the
home shop? We eat a lot of sushi.

Lime, as a dessicant, is effective, BUT it's pretty much the same
as cement (the stuff that comes in 80 lb sacks for a few bucks).
It isn't like the reversible dessicants of a chem lab (Drierite
is calcium sulphate).

Once lime has hydrated, nothing short of a hot oven will dry it quickly.

Dehumidifier: Compressor or Dessicant? [email protected] UK diy 10 September 19th 07 06:44 PM
LIME PASTE [email protected] Home Repair 2 February 3rd 07 06:25 PM
lime away/CLR Eddie G Home Repair 10 May 2nd 06 01:48 AM
Kitty Litter Dessicant? DeepDiver Metalworking 5 June 9th 05 02:32 AM
Dessicant question Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 8 April 3rd 05 05:13 AM