Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dehumidifier: Compressor or Dessicant?

This one's a bit OT, but I'm hoping someone can help:

I'm buying a dehumidifier to help with a condensation problem in my 3
bed house. I've narrowed it down to the Amcor PLDM18 (see
http://tinyurl.com/2pwbvp) or the Prem-I-Air PRDHZ80U (see
http://tinyurl.com/2ooau4). The Amcor is based on normal compressor
technology, while the Prem-I-Air is based on a newer dessicant
technology. According to one of the companies I spoke to the Prem-I-
Air is probably going to be more effective for my purposes & has other
smaller advantages (eg quieter & lighter).

The company that recommended it did point out the possible downside
that it is a higher wattage (ie 620w vs 260w) but reckoned that it
could well work out at a similar cost in the long run, as it would be
on less. Is that likely?

Thanks,

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 17, 4:52 pm, wrote:
The company that recommended it did point out the possible downside
that it is a higher wattage (ie 620w vs 260w) but reckoned that it
could well work out at a similar cost in the long run, as it would be
on less. Is that likely?

Hi,

I'd get the compressor one, if you want to heat your home it's
cheapest do to so with gas ch instead of waste heat from a
dehumidifier.

If getting a compressor one try a smaller one first, as on the bigger
ones the compressor can be fairly noisy.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This one's a bit OT, but I'm hoping someone can help:

I'm buying a dehumidifier to help with a condensation problem in my 3
bed house. I've narrowed it down to the Amcor PLDM18 (see
http://tinyurl.com/2pwbvp) or the Prem-I-Air PRDHZ80U (see
http://tinyurl.com/2ooau4). The Amcor is based on normal compressor
technology, while the Prem-I-Air is based on a newer dessicant
technology. According to one of the companies I spoke to the Prem-I-
Air is probably going to be more effective for my purposes & has other
smaller advantages (eg quieter & lighter).

The company that recommended it did point out the possible downside
that it is a higher wattage (ie 620w vs 260w) but reckoned that it
could well work out at a similar cost in the long run, as it would be
on less. Is that likely?

Thanks,

Michael

Dessicant wheel dhs use around twice as much energy, and cost
more to buy as well. Their application is in situations where temp
is below 12C, conditions in which compressor types are
ineffective. Compressor is the choice for nearly all living
situations.

However I'd steer clear of Amcor, they have significant problems.

As someone else said, stick with the low power ones for domestic
use as theyre quiet.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Sep, 16:52, wrote:
This one's a bit OT, but I'm hoping someone can help:

I'm buying a dehumidifier to help with a condensation problem in my 3
bed house. I've narrowed it down to the Amcor PLDM18 (seehttp://tinyurl.com/2pwbvp) or the Prem-I-Air PRDHZ80U (seehttp://tinyurl.com/2ooau4). The Amcor is based on normal compressor
technology, while the Prem-I-Air is based on a newer dessicant
technology. According to one of the companies I spoke to the Prem-I-
Air is probably going to be more effective for my purposes & has other
smaller advantages (eg quieter & lighter).

The company that recommended it did point out the possible downside
that it is a higher wattage (ie 620w vs 260w) but reckoned that it
could well work out at a similar cost in the long run, as it would be
on less. Is that likely?

Thanks,

Michael

Dear Michael
Have you considered the alternative control method avoiding the need
for desiccation? namely stopping the water coming in in the first
place? It may be that with appropriate trickle vents and life changes
you can avoid this purchase. If you cannot then I would go for the
compressor (non-desiccant) version but remember they only work if you
close all the windows and doors and heat the place - just the opposite
of what you want to control condensation!
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete C wrote:
On Sep 17, 4:52 pm, wrote:

The company that recommended it did point out the possible downside
that it is a higher wattage (ie 620w vs 260w) but reckoned that it
could well work out at a similar cost in the long run, as it would be
on less. Is that likely?

Hi,

I'd get the compressor one, if you want to heat your home it's
cheapest do to so with gas ch instead of waste heat from a
dehumidifier.

True (ish) but if you then have to vent warm air outside because it's
moist and then heat fresh air it can go the other way - don't forget
that as well as the waste heat (input power) you get the latent heat
from condesing the water.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

We've had a "Challenge" (Argos) 200W input power and a built in
humidistat for a few years now, still going strong.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris wrote:
Dear Michael
Have you considered the alternative control method avoiding the need
for desiccation? namely stopping the water coming in in the first
place? It may be that with appropriate trickle vents and life changes
you can avoid this purchase.

Chris,

Yes I have looked at the causes & have made the changes that we can
(eg installing a decent bathroom fan). However until we have an
extension done we're stuck with poor ventilation in the kitchen and
the problem of continual drying of clothes from our 2 small children.
Both things should change over time...

In terms of buying a dehumidifier - I've gone for a compressor as per
the consensus. I'd just bought it when I saw the comment about Amcor,
so I'll have to see how I get on.

Thanks for the responses,

Michael

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 18, 5:44 pm, Chris Hodges wrote:
True (ish) but if you then have to vent warm air outside because it's
moist and then heat fresh air it can go the other way - don't forget
that as well as the waste heat (input power) you get the latent heat
from condesing the water.

I agree, what I meant is extra heat over and above the _total_ heat
derived from the dehumidifier.

I looked into the cost of dehumidifier vs ventilation and gas ch:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...se_frm/thread/
ec4b82e34aaf1e12/f101fc341cb4351a?lnk=st&q=%22pete+c
%22+dehumidifier&rnum=1#f101fc341cb4351a

So IMHO once the air humidity is below 65% it's reasonably likely to
be cheaper to use a dehumidifier, better control at least.

So a humidistatic kitchen/bathroom fan could be worth having but a
dehumidifer could well be cheaper than leaving windows open for too
long.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 Sep, 17:47, Chris Hodges wrote:
wrote:
Dear Michael
Have you considered the alternative control method avoiding the need
for desiccation? namely stopping the water coming in in the first
place? It may be that with appropriate trickle vents and life changes
you can avoid this purchase. If you cannot then I would go for the
compressor (non-desiccant) version but remember they only work if you
close all the windows and doors and heat the place - just the opposite
of what you want to control condensation!
Chris

In practice this means no showers and no drying washing indoors or quite
a lot of ventilation.

A dehumidifer is cheaper, smaller and more efficient than a tumble
drier, for example, if you assume it's too wet to dry washing outside.

--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with btinternet dot com

I beg to differ on one or two points and agree on others
It means that if you have a shower you open the window for 20 mins or
so immediately afterwards
It most certainly does mean no drying of washing inside which is a
major cause of such problems
How about putting the de-humidifier inside a sealed large room/
container and drying the washing in that? bit like a large condensing
drier? just a thought
It also means putting lids on saucepans, not leaving bathwater or
other water standing with washing in it
spin drying at high revs
leaving a window open at night in the bedroom (1.5L per person per
night)
and all the other ways of keeping water vapour production limited
Chris

LG Dehumidifier kit Home Repair 5 December 4th 06 05:59 PM
LG Dehumidifier kit Home Repair 0 December 1st 06 04:36 PM
Hot Compressor on Kenmore Dehumidifier kicks off in 5 minutes Pa Home Repair 3 July 3rd 06 04:59 PM
Kitty Litter Dessicant? DeepDiver Metalworking 5 June 9th 05 02:32 AM
Dessicant question Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 8 April 3rd 05 05:13 AM