Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Giant Paperweight

I have been looking and looking and looking and I just can't find anything
for Pulse MIG under $3K + $1k add-on except the imports. There are two of
them, but I never heard of either one I started looking.

I know! I know! Buy good or buy twice.

I've read a couple reports of guys who used them for about six months and
then they died. I just want to know if they got decent welds out of them
for those six months?

Everlast is one (and of the two the one I would be more likely to gamble
on), and Longevity is the other.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 11:22:23 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

I have been looking and looking and looking and I just can't find anything
for Pulse MIG under $3K + $1k add-on except the imports. There are two of
them, but I never heard of either one I started looking.

I know! I know! Buy good or buy twice.

I hadn't heard of pulsed MIG. Sounds like a new top end idea. I
personally wonder if the average Joe needs it.

For my money I'd buy a used Miller MIG blue box. I have a 252 that I
got at an auction for $500 with the AL spool gun. I can't imagine
needing more MIG than this tool. This machine will be in great shape
at my estate auction.

To me MIG is for production welding. When you need extra fine control
for a special application, move over to TIG.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have been looking and looking and looking and I just can't find anything
for Pulse MIG under $3K + $1k add-on except the imports. There are two of
them, but I never heard of either one I started looking.

I know! I know! Buy good or buy twice.

I hadn't heard of pulsed MIG. Sounds like a new top end idea. I
personally wonder if the average Joe needs it.

For my money I'd buy a used Miller MIG blue box. I have a 252 that I
got at an auction for $500 with the AL spool gun. I can't imagine
needing more MIG than this tool. This machine will be in great shape
at my estate auction.

I have a Miller 212... that unfortunately I paid retail for. Its got dual
guns, dual bottles, and dual regulators. It does steel or aluminum "ok".
For light steel I tend to use the flux core mini welder instead.

To me MIG is for production welding. When you need extra fine control
for a special application, move over to TIG.

Don't have a TIG and don't know how to use one.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
I have been looking and looking and looking and I just can't find anything
for Pulse MIG under $3K + $1k add-on except the imports. There are two of
them, but I never heard of either one I started looking.

I know! I know! Buy good or buy twice.

I've read a couple reports of guys who used them for about six months and
then they died. I just want to know if they got decent welds out of them
for those six months?

Everlast is one (and of the two the one I would be more likely to gamble
on), and Longevity is the other.

Everlast and Longevity sounds like brands of batteries that come with a
remote control.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have been looking and looking and looking and I just can't find anything
for Pulse MIG under $3K + $1k add-on except the imports. There are two of
them, but I never heard of either one I started looking.

I know! I know! Buy good or buy twice.

I hadn't heard of pulsed MIG. Sounds like a new top end idea. I
personally wonder if the average Joe needs it.

For my money I'd buy a used Miller MIG blue box. I have a 252 that I
got at an auction for $500 with the AL spool gun. I can't imagine
needing more MIG than this tool. This machine will be in great shape
at my estate auction.

To me MIG is for production welding. When you need extra fine control
for a special application, move over to TIG.

I have found that I use MIG where I used to use 3/32 stick. I have a
Lincoln SP125+ and so it's not capable of welding thick material
without pre-heating the material. But when I can use it in place of
stick I do. It seems that before I got the little MIG welder I would
often TIG weld something that should have been stick welded as far as
time goes. Just because changing from TIG to stick takes a wrench to
switch cables and because I really like TIG welding much more than
stick welding. But now that I have the little MIG I want a bigger one.
So many jobs that I do are so much easier and faster with the MIG. And
since I don't weld for my main living I still have a lot of fun with
the "squirt gun".
Eric

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, February 28, 2014 10:22:23 AM UTC-8, Bob La Londe wrote:
I have been looking and looking and looking and I just can't find anything

for Pulse MIG under $3K + $1k add-on except the imports. There are two of

them, but I never heard of either one I started looking.

I know! I know! Buy good or buy twice.

I've read a couple reports of guys who used them for about six months and

then they died. I just want to know if they got decent welds out of them

for those six months?

Everlast is one (and of the two the one I would be more likely to gamble

on), and Longevity is the other.

---

What makes you think you're going to get decent welding advice on inverter welder technology in this group?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Check Ebay. There are tons of nice older transformer based MIG
machines out there for very little money. Got 3ph? Have I got a deal
for you! Want a 300 amp Mig? $600 and its yours!!

(Grin)

Check Ebay and Craigslist. You do know how to search for stuff on
Craigslist..right?

www.searchtempest.com

Gunner

--
"A "Liberal Paradise" would be a place where everybody has
guaranteed employment,free comprehensive healthcare,

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, February 28, 2014 8:06:47 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:

What makes you think you're going to get decent welding advice on inverter welder technology in this group?

Because some people are knowledgeable and will take the time to help others. Unlike other people that just post negative messages.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 5:35:46 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Friday, February 28, 2014 8:06:47 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:

What makes you think you're going to get decent welding advice on inverter welder technology in this group?

Because some people are knowledgeable and will take the time to help others. Unlike other people that just post negative messages.

Dan

Name someone who is knowledgeable in this group about welders with inverter power supplies and has lots of experience using them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 12:04:20 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:

Name someone who is knowledgeable in this group about welders with inverter power supplies and has lots of experience using them.

Ernie

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, March 1, 2014 11:19:46 AM UTC-8, wrote:
On Saturday, March 1, 2014 12:04:20 PM UTC-5, jon_banquer wrote:

Name someone who is knowledgeable in this group about welders with inverter power supplies and has lots of experience using them.

Ernie

Dan

What's the reason you don't recommend Bert and only Ernie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_and_Ernie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, February 28, 2014 4:06:20 PM UTC-8, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:

I have been looking and looking and looking and I just can't find anything

for Pulse MIG under $3K + $1k add-on except the imports. There are two of

them, but I never heard of either one I started looking.

I know! I know! Buy good or buy twice.

I've read a couple reports of guys who used them for about six months and

then they died. I just want to know if they got decent welds out of them

for those six months?

Everlast is one (and of the two the one I would be more likely to gamble

on), and Longevity is the other.

Everlast and Longevity sounds like brands of batteries that come with a

remote control.

The names were picked to reflect what their welders/plasma cutters, etc. for the most part aren't.

Of the two companies Everlast is slightly better. Everlast has a decent inverter portable arc welder that's sells for a very affordable price.

It's only a matter of time before the Chinese get better reliability. Even the Miller inverter power supply is made in China.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have been looking and looking and looking and I just can't find anything

for Pulse MIG under $3K + $1k add-on except the imports. There are two of

them, but I never heard of either one I started looking.

I know! I know! Buy good or buy twice.

I hadn't heard of pulsed MIG. Sounds like a new top end idea. I

personally wonder if the average Joe needs it.

For my money I'd buy a used Miller MIG blue box. I have a 252 that I

got at an auction for $500 with the AL spool gun. I can't imagine

needing more MIG than this tool. This machine will be in great shape

at my estate auction.

To me MIG is for production welding. When you need extra fine control

for a special application, move over to TIG.

Pulsed MIG and TIG welding have been around for years. See the discussion I started yesterday in this newsgroup on pulsed MIG and TIG welding.

I've posted about pulsed MIG and TIG welding frequently in this newsgroup and what's held it back.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news

wrote:

[...]

I am not seeing many Pulse MIG units though. I already have two baby MIGs
and a Miller 212. I keep looking though, and um yeah I do searches. I was
the one who told you about Search Tempest.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
I have been looking and looking and looking and I just can't find
anything
for Pulse MIG under $3K + $1k add-on except the imports. There are two
of
them, but I never heard of either one I started looking.

I know! I know! Buy good or buy twice.

I've read a couple reports of guys who used them for about six months and
then they died. I just want to know if they got decent welds out of them
for those six months?

Everlast is one (and of the two the one I would be more likely to gamble
on), and Longevity is the other.

Everlast and Longevity sounds like brands of batteries that come with a
remote control.

LOL. I thought the Everlast sounds like a sears brand at first. In fact
the Sears website lists the Everlast welders, but if you look close its an
Amazon like third party sale.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

the sears website is a complete trainwreck. I don't think they list any
items on it that they even really sell. It's like some junk aggregation
website that lists past sales from stuff on ebay.

OT. Giant TV screens,, harryagain Home Repair 40 September 26th 11 10:12 PM
Giant Pumpkin harry Home Repair 9 May 12th 10 07:09 PM
(OT?) Create your own transparent paperweight JoeJoe UK diy 12 October 20th 09 10:50 PM
Little Giant ladders The Dave© Home Repair 14 November 15th 05 05:57 AM
"Little Giant" Ladders ? Robert11 Home Repair 9 October 25th 04 01:10 PM