Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Trommel working

I got the trommel working today, using an intermediary gear reduction
unit. I am going to exchange one of the pulleys tomorrow so as to get a
few more rpm, but it's working nicely, even if it is held together
temporarily with vise grips and bubblegum. Tomorrow, I'll start welding
it out, and take some pictures of the whole thing. I am satisfied with
the trommel, but not its performance. It takes too long to take the
husks off, maybe changing the pulley tomorrow will improve it. Pecan
handling and processing is turning into a lot of work.

Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:

I got the trommel working today, using an intermediary gear reduction
unit. I am going to exchange one of the pulleys tomorrow so as to get a
few more rpm, but it's working nicely, even if it is held together
temporarily with vise grips and bubblegum. Tomorrow, I'll start welding
it out, and take some pictures of the whole thing. I am satisfied with
the trommel, but not its performance. It takes too long to take the
husks off, maybe changing the pulley tomorrow will improve it. Pecan
handling and processing is turning into a lot of work.

Steve

Post pics somewhere, I have several pecan trees here and on a good year
without trying I easily collect 35# (unshelled).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/26/2013 5:46 PM, Pete C. wrote:

SteveB wrote:

I got the trommel working today, using an intermediary gear reduction
unit. I am going to exchange one of the pulleys tomorrow so as to get a
few more rpm, but it's working nicely, even if it is held together
temporarily with vise grips and bubblegum. Tomorrow, I'll start welding
it out, and take some pictures of the whole thing. I am satisfied with
the trommel, but not its performance. It takes too long to take the
husks off, maybe changing the pulley tomorrow will improve it. Pecan
handling and processing is turning into a lot of work.

Steve

Post pics somewhere, I have several pecan trees here and on a good year
without trying I easily collect 35# (unshelled).

That's barely two five gallon buckets full. I just bought 285# from a
guy the other day. Gonna work on a simple separator tomorrow.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"SteveB" wrote in message
I got the trommel working today, using an intermediary gear reduction
unit. I am going to exchange one of the pulleys tomorrow so as to
get a few more rpm, but it's working nicely, even if it is held
together temporarily with vise grips and bubblegum. Tomorrow, I'll
start welding it out, and take some pictures of the whole thing. I
am satisfied with the trommel, but not its performance. It takes too
long to take the husks off, maybe changing the pulley tomorrow will
improve it. Pecan handling and processing is turning into a lot of
work.

Steve

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/310417165035?lpid=82

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 27/12/13 00:32, SteveB wrote:
I got the trommel working today, using an intermediary gear reduction
unit. I am going to exchange one of the pulleys tomorrow so as to get
a few more rpm, but it's working nicely, even if it is held together
temporarily with vise grips and bubblegum. Tomorrow, I'll start
welding it out, and take some pictures of the whole thing. I am
satisfied with the trommel, but not its performance. It takes too
long to take the husks off, maybe changing the pulley tomorrow will
improve it. Pecan handling and processing is turning into a lot of work.

Steve

Keep in mind that poly V belt drives can use a flat driven pulley when
the reduction is about 5:1 or greater so you might be able to run the
belt directly on your drum and just a poly V pulley on the motor which
are available with taper lock bushes cheaply from bearing suppliers.
I've done this on a few occasions and it works well.