Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Back to school

I just finished a course in vibrational analysis. Very interesting,
although it showed me how much I had forgotten from previous schooling.
Hope to test and be certified soon, and until then, it's study, study,
study. The industrial world is finding out that by monitoring
vibration, they can extend the life of machines, and minimize down time
by replacing failing machines before catastrophic failures and
collateral damage.

Steve
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/1/2013 12:07 PM, SteveB wrote:
I just finished a course in vibrational analysis. Very interesting,
although it showed me how much I had forgotten from previous schooling.
Hope to test and be certified soon, and until then, it's study, study,
study. The industrial world is finding out that by monitoring vibration,
they can extend the life of machines, and minimize down time by
replacing failing machines before catastrophic failures and collateral
damage.

Well, much of the "industrial world" has been aware of that for 30 or 40
yr or so...

Which vendor are you using/following/training from?

One "former life" was with CSI, Knoxville, a leader; in their new
products group. There we developed the first commercial wireless
vibrometer which won a "Product of the Year" award back in early 90s...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:07:32 -0700, SteveB
wrote:

I just finished a course in vibrational analysis. Very interesting,
although it showed me how much I had forgotten from previous schooling.
Hope to test and be certified soon, and until then, it's study, study,
study. The industrial world is finding out that by monitoring
vibration, they can extend the life of machines, and minimize down time
by replacing failing machines before catastrophic failures and
collateral damage.

Steve

A very good friend of mine went into that field. After a couple years
he split off on his own and monitored equipment at several large
sites. He did quite well, making a decent income with a flexible work
schedule.

He just retired near Phoenix.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/1/2013 1:07 PM, SteveB wrote:
I just finished a course in vibrational analysis. Very interesting,
although it showed me how much I had forgotten from previous schooling.
Hope to test and be certified soon, and until then, it's study, study,
study. The industrial world is finding out that by monitoring
vibration, they can extend the life of machines, and minimize down time
by replacing failing machines before catastrophic failures and
collateral damage.

Steve

I think I've taken one or two adult courses. I took heating, AC, small
engine repair. Each one, I've learned a LOT more than expected. And been
help to others, too. One time I got to talking with a fellow a couple
streets over. He was working on a lawn mower small engine for a
neighbor. He was going nuts, could not ind out what was wrong. And oddly
enough, it was a problem we learned in my course the year before.

I hope you have a great experience, and use what you learn.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message
On 10/1/2013 12:07 PM, SteveB wrote:

One "former life" was with CSI, Knoxville, a leader; in their new
products group. There we developed the first commercial wireless
vibrometer which won a "Product of the Year" award back in early
90s...

In the mid 80's I dragged my vacuum-tube spectrum analyzer into work
to analyze a vibration problem that had the engineers stumped. It
showed the vibration very clearly, but the engineers didn't know how
to interpret the results. Mechanical and electrical engineering were
separate kingdoms there and fortunately fixing it was their problem,
not mine.

Our non-contact position sensor was a little Radio Shack solar cell
with the shadow of the test subject falling part way across it.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveB wrote:
I just finished a course in vibrational analysis. Very interesting,
although it showed me how much I had forgotten from previous schooling.
Hope to test and be certified soon, and until then, it's study, study,
study. The industrial world is finding out that by monitoring
vibration, they can extend the life of machines, and minimize down time
by replacing failing machines before catastrophic failures and
collateral damage.

Steve

Hamilton College just had a seminar on "vibrational response" They
titled it a bit different though....

A small, prestigious liberal arts school in New York is set to host and
fund a workshop on orgasms for undergrads on Monday.

The workshop, hosted by Hamilton College’s Women’s Center, will teach
“everything from multiple orgasms to that mysterious G-spot,” according
to its official description, and is open to male and female students.

“Whether you want to learn how to have your first orgasm, how to have
better ones, or how to help your girlfriend, Maggie and Marshall cover
it all,”

“Maggie and Marshall,” Marshall Miller and Maggie Keenan-Bolger, are
the two “sex educators” who teach the workshop.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/1/2013 4:29 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
On 10/1/2013 12:07 PM, SteveB wrote:

One "former life" was with CSI, Knoxville, a leader; in their new
products group. There we developed the first commercial wireless
vibrometer which won a "Product of the Year" award back in early
90s...

In the mid 80's I dragged my vacuum-tube spectrum analyzer into work
to analyze a vibration problem that had the engineers stumped. It
showed the vibration very clearly, but the engineers didn't know how
to interpret the results. Mechanical and electrical engineering were
separate kingdoms there and fortunately fixing it was their problem,
not mine.

Our non-contact position sensor was a little Radio Shack solar cell
with the shadow of the test subject falling part way across it.

If it was complex at all, can't fault 'em too much on that one --
probably didn't even know number of balls/rollers in bearings to have
any idea of what all those frequencies could possibly be...

It's tough enough to interpret with a full knowledge of fundamental and
all what more without on the fly first time even seen a spectrum...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/1/2013 10:31 AM, dpb wrote:
On 10/1/2013 12:07 PM, SteveB wrote:
I just finished a course in vibrational analysis. Very interesting,
although it showed me how much I had forgotten from previous schooling.
Hope to test and be certified soon, and until then, it's study, study,
study. The industrial world is finding out that by monitoring vibration,
they can extend the life of machines, and minimize down time by
replacing failing machines before catastrophic failures and collateral
damage.

Well, much of the "industrial world" has been aware of that for 30 or 40
yr or so...

Which vendor are you using/following/training from?

One "former life" was with CSI, Knoxville, a leader; in their new
products group. There we developed the first commercial wireless
vibrometer which won a "Product of the Year" award back in early 90s...

VAI, and they use CSI stuff exclusively. The new field gathering
sensors that are as big as an Etch-A-Sketch are $30k. But, brother, do
they ever give you some data that will go through a FFT and give you
answer. They are light years ahead of five years ago, and the owner has
a patented process that also moved things along a couple of light years
on its own.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 10/3/2013 10:59 AM, SteveB wrote:
On 10/1/2013 10:31 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Indeed stuff changes rapidly...I've still got pieces-parts of the
original wireless vibrometer in its early stages -- it was about the
size of a coffee mug in the end...the circuit board was eight
double-sided sections hinged to fit around the outer perimeter w/ the
battery pack in the center...a nightmare to keep all that crap from
shaking around to the point it wouldn't totally wipe out the response of
the DUT. But, in the end it worked pretty well for a new kid on the
block...

But, they've now done what we told 'em should've done to begin with but
were told wasn't acceptable back then -- put the electronics in a
separate box and use an umbilical to the accelerometer. DOH!!!

I've not been back to CSi in 10 yr now; the last tech and engineers I
worked closely with left not terribly long after I did and the three
principals/founders that are my contemporaries that I knew well before
CSi was CSi when they were still at UT-K and/or TEC have also all now
retired I believe.