Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_14_] SteveB[_14_] is offline

Default Back to school

On 10/1/2013 10:31 AM, dpb wrote:
On 10/1/2013 12:07 PM, SteveB wrote:
I just finished a course in vibrational analysis. Very interesting,
although it showed me how much I had forgotten from previous schooling.
Hope to test and be certified soon, and until then, it's study, study,
study. The industrial world is finding out that by monitoring vibration,
they can extend the life of machines, and minimize down time by
replacing failing machines before catastrophic failures and collateral
damage.

Well, much of the "industrial world" has been aware of that for 30 or 40
yr or so...

Which vendor are you using/following/training from?

One "former life" was with CSI, Knoxville, a leader; in their new
products group. There we developed the first commercial wireless
vibrometer which won a "Product of the Year" award back in early 90s...

VAI, and they use CSI stuff exclusively. The new field gathering
sensors that are as big as an Etch-A-Sketch are $30k. But, brother, do
they ever give you some data that will go through a FFT and give you
answer. They are light years ahead of five years ago, and the owner has
a patented process that also moved things along a couple of light years
on its own.

Steve