Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Linkedln invatition scam

LinkedIn Customers Allege Company Hacked E-Mail Addresses.

In an e-mail to Bloomberg yesterday, Deborah Lagutaris, whose LinkedIn
profile describes her as a tax preparer, real estate broker and former law
clerk, said LinkedIn contacted more than 3,000 people in her name, including
those copied in on her e-mail messages.

"This means that not only direct e-mail contacts but peripherals as well,"
were used, she said. "I contacted LinkedIn and they said, 'Oh, you can
remove all those invitations from your account manually. We don't know what
happened.'"

Instead, she said she added a disclaimer to her LinkedIn page saying she
hadn't sent the invitations.

Jeffrey Barr of Livingston, said in an e-mail that he estimated LinkedIn
used as many as 200 names and e-mail addresses of his contacts, inviting
them to connect with him on the site.

LinkedIn software engineer Brian Guan described his role on the company's
website as "devising hack schemes to make lots of $$$ with Java, Groovy and
cunning at Team Money!" according to the complaint. Java is a programming
language and computing platform released by Sun Microsystems in 1995. Groovy
is a another language for the Java platform.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ess-books.html

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 17:53:00 -0700, "azotic"
wrote:

[...]

I can't believe anyone in their right mind would ever give LinkedIn,
Facebook, Twitter, or anyone else their entire email list for any
reason. But that default setting is absolutely not in the interest of
the LinkedIn user. I'm going to dig into this one and let them have
it with both barrels if necessary.

P.S: No, I didn't give them that opportunity to screw me.

--
Try not to become a man of success but
rather try to become a man of value.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That's for sure. I've got Linkedin invitations from people I didn't
know. I'd email them, and they had all gotten loads of complaints from
people they had not meant to contact. I blocked Linkedin on my computer,
and clicked the remove link, and all that.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/21/2013 8:53 PM, azotic wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I suspect there is some kind of program, malware,
javascript or some thing that searches your drive
for email adress. I expect it's in the fine print,
and people just click approve.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/21/2013 10:42 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ess-books.html

I can't believe anyone in their right mind would ever give LinkedIn,
Facebook, Twitter, or anyone else their entire email list for any
reason. But that default setting is absolutely not in the interest of
the LinkedIn user. I'm going to dig into this one and let them have
it with both barrels if necessary.

P.S: No, I didn't give them that opportunity to screw me.

--
Try not to become a man of success but
rather try to become a man of value.
--Albert Einstein

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I get numerous invitations to become "linked in" with people I nver
heard about. Very annoying. And on top of this, those invitations lack
the :reject" button.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/21/2013 5:53 PM, azotic wrote:
LinkedIn Customers Allege Company Hacked E-Mail Addresses.

It was probably little jonny banqueer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 22, 2013 5:38:37 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
That's for sure. I've got Linkedin invitations from people I didn't

know. I'd email them, and they had all gotten loads of complaints from

people they had not meant to contact. I blocked Linkedin on my computer,

and clicked the remove link, and all that.

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

LinkedIn is the defacto standard of business social networking. Learn how to use it or be left behind. The choice is yours.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:21:58 PM UTC-7, George Plimpton wrote:
On 9/21/2013 5:53 PM, azotic wrote:

LinkedIn Customers Allege Company Hacked E-Mail Addresses.

It was probably little jonny banqueer.

It's probably the kind of anonymous posting pussy who has to hide behind an alias on Usenet.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus24746" wrote in message
I get numerous invitations to become "linked in" with people I nver
heard about. Very annoying. And on top of this, those invitations lack
the :reject" button.

Same problem here. I added Linedln to my spam
junk mail filter. Seems to be working for now.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You have totally got to be kidding.

..
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

On 9/22/2013 10:23 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

LinkedIn is the defacto standard of business social

networking. Learn how to use it or be left behind.
The choice is yours.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 23, 2013 4:24:00 AM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You have totally got to be kidding.

.

Christopher A. Young

Learn about Jesus

www.lds.org

.

On 9/22/2013 10:23 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

LinkedIn is the defacto standard of business social

networking. Learn how to use it or be left behind.

The choice is yours.

I've asked you several times to put me back in your newsgroup filter. I've done so because I think you frequently show you're a complete moron with no clues:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanada...ber_146015475#!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, September 21, 2013 7:42:31 PM UTC-7, Larry Jaques wrote:

I'm going to dig into this one and let them have it with both barrels if necessary.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Almost every time you logon it asks for your email password. That's right.
The password to your email account.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/23/2013 10:24 AM, Bob La Londe wrote:
Almost every time you logon it asks for your email password. That's
right. The password to your email account.

No, that's wrong. It asks for the password to your LinkedIn account.
Your e-mail account password and your LinkedIn password need not be the
same. You need not use your primary e-mail account to tie to your
LinkedIn account. You need not store your e-mail address book on-line
with your e-mail provider.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-09-23, Bob La Londe wrote:
Almost every time you logon it asks for your email password. That's right.
The password to your email account.

And that is why it wants it, to spam other people.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-09-23, Bob La Londe wrote:
Almost every time you logon it asks for your email password. That's right.
The password to your email account.

And that is why it wants it, to spam other people.

That's not how it works.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 22, 2013 7:03:26 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus24746 wrote:
I get numerous invitations to become "linked in" with people I nver

heard about. Very annoying. And on top of this, those invitations lack

the :reject" button.

You don't need a "reject" button. All you need to do is ignore their invitation to connect.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, September 22, 2013 8:17:00 PM UTC-7, azotic wrote:
"Ignoramus24746" wrote in message

I get numerous invitations to become "linked in" with people I nver

heard about. Very annoying. And on top of this, those invitations lack

the :reject" button.

Same problem here. I added Linedln to my spam

junk mail filter. Seems to be working for now.

Best Regards

Tom.

--

http://fija.org/

If you don't want to connect with others why are you on LinkedIn? It's a business social networking site. What part of social networking did you fail to understand when you joined LinkedIn?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 23, 2013 10:24:51 AM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:
Almost every time you logon it asks for your email password. That's right.

The password to your email account.

Use a different password for your LinkedIn account and you won't have this issue.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-09-23, Bob La Londe wrote:

Almost every time you logon it asks for your email password. That's right.

The password to your email account.

And that is why it wants it, to spam other people.

The majority of what you post to Usenet is spam and propaganda.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"jon_banquer" wrote in message

If you don't want to connect with others why are you on LinkedIn?

I am not a linkedln member. Never was, never will be.

What part of social networking did you fail to understand when you joined
LinkedIn?

I never joined linkedln.

That is why any communication from linkedln is treated as
spam junk mail.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 23, 2013 12:43:51 PM UTC-7, azotic wrote:
"jon_banquer" wrote in message

If you don't want to connect with others why are you on LinkedIn?

I am not a linkedln member. Never was, never will be.

What part of social networking did you fail to understand when you joined

LinkedIn?

I never joined linkedln.

That is why any communication from linkedln is treated as

spam junk mail.

Best Regards

Tom.

--

http://fija.org/

I find LinkedIn to be a great way to connect with others and LinkedIn groups to be far better than paid advertizing based machinist or CADCAM forums such as CNC Advertizing Zone or Practically Worthless Machinist.

My own LinkedIn group: CADCAM Technology Leaders now has almost 850 members and easily has more CADCAM content in a week than rec.crafts.metalworking or alt.machines.cnc has had in the last year.

LinkedIn has proven to be a great tool for many people. I'm one of them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/21/2013 5:53 PM, azotic wrote:
LinkedIn Customers Allege Company Hacked E-Mail Addresses.

http://www.latimes.com/business/tech...,5299380.story

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-09-23, Bob La Londe wrote:
Almost every time you logon it asks for your email password. That's right.
The password to your email account.

Well ... since I host my own mail server, the password to my
e-mail is the password to my account (which they could not access
remotely anyway), and there is no chance that I would give them such
information.

And -- there is also no chance that I can *see* that I would
want an account on LinkedIn anyway. :-)

FaceBook wants your e-mail password too -- with the excuse that
it allows them to identify your friends already on FaceBook. They don't
get *that* either. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-09-23, Bob La Londe wrote:
Almost every time you logon it asks for your email password. That's right.
The password to your email account.

Well ... since I host my own mail server, the password to my
e-mail is the password to my account (which they could not access
remotely anyway), and there is no chance that I would give them such
information.

And -- there is also no chance that I can *see* that I would
want an account on LinkedIn anyway. :-)

FaceBook wants your e-mail password too -- with the excuse that
it allows them to identify your friends already on FaceBook. They don't
get *that* either. :-)

Neither service asks for your e-mail password.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

First, it isn't from Linkedin it is from a person there.

Might be a friend of yours. Or someone that knows you and you
didn't bother looking.

Strangers can't send to strangers.

Martin

On 9/23/2013 2:43 PM, azotic wrote:

"jon_banquer" wrote in message

If you don't want to connect with others why are you on LinkedIn?

I am not a linkedln member. Never was, never will be.

What part of social networking did you fail to understand when you
joined LinkedIn?

I never joined linkedln.

That is why any communication from linkedln is treated as
spam junk mail.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, September 23, 2013 7:32:50 PM UTC-7, DoN. Nichols wrote:

"And -- there is also no chance that I can *see* that I would want an account on LinkedIn anyway. :-)"

I can't see any reason for you to have a LinkedIn account either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 24 Sep 2013 02:32:50 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2013-09-23, Bob La Londe wrote:
Almost every time you logon it asks for your email password. That's right.
The password to your email account.

Well ... since I host my own mail server, the password to my
e-mail is the password to my account (which they could not access
remotely anyway), and there is no chance that I would give them such
information.

Nope. Facebook and other social media sites want that so they can
bring all your friends and clients on-board! Scary thought, wot?

And -- there is also no chance that I can *see* that I would
want an account on LinkedIn anyway. :-)

It's a B2B networking group, so I do.

FaceBook wants your e-mail password too -- with the excuse that
it allows them to identify your friends already on FaceBook. They don't
get *that* either. :-)

Roger, over.

--
Try not to become a man of success but
rather try to become a man of value.
--Albert Einstein

So what's the scam here? Doug Miller[_4_] Woodworking 39 March 14th 13 10:39 AM
MAKE THOUSANDS FAST!!! NOT A SCAM, I REPEAT THIS IS NOT A SCAM Rico Home Ownership 0 September 3rd 10 12:36 AM
New scam? Jack Home Repair 0 April 19th 10 11:48 PM
New scam? Jack Home Repair 0 April 19th 10 02:53 PM
What a Scam! Chris F. Electronics Repair 24 June 12th 05 06:03 AM