Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Metal Content. Bullet Actual sizes?

Greetings

I have a couple questions on bullet sizes and barrel thickness.

In order to keep my hand in over summer break, I'm in the midst of
a CAD project. Maybe I can learn a few things too, about CAD, Catia
and the object of my project.
Yes, for "grins and giggles", I am attempting to gin up drawings
for the 6.35 mm "Pistola Con Caricato". The three barrel 18 shot one
off from the 1920's. Yeah, that one.
So, I have the SAAMI pdf with the dimension of the standard .25
cal / 6.35x16mmSR Browning cartridge. "Way cool" - but it did cause a
bit of "redrawing" as I had made preliminary drawings with a dimension
of 6.35 mm. "oops" (Actually, I was trying to get the geometry
sorted out, how to get lines to start where I wanted them, instead of
the apparent random location the program defaults to.)
Anyway, I now have a nice profile of a standard 6.36x16mmSR round
- bullet and cartridge. [23.11 mm OAL, as per spec]. What I don't
know however is: how long is the bullet itself?
"As Drawn" the bullet has nothing inside the brass to hold it
together. While this may not be a serious problem for merely drafting
a chamber for the cartridge, it offends my Professional Standards to
not have a "real bullet" correctly sized which can then be matched up
with the cartridge, and then that Assembly inserted into the Cylinder
Unit.

So, my questions:
1) Does anyone have the specs for the bullets themselves? Or a
link to where those same specs can be found?

2) Barrel dimensions. I have learned so far that the 25ACP is a
"low power" round, so barrel thickness is not a serious matter. I'm
guesstimating from the half dozen available photos somewhere around 2
to 3 mm thickness, which gives a diameter of 10.35 to 11.35 mm, if
based off the bullet diameter, 11 to 13 mm if base off the cartridge
diameter.
[FWI, I have set this up with the semi-deranged idea that I can
change a few constants and viola - scale it up to .38, 38 Special,
357, 40 S&W or 45 ACP. Or down to a .22 short. Or whatever. [.600
Nitro Express? .50 BMG?]

So, I need a formula of some sort, or a reference chart, that will
provide me with some kind of ball park figure for the actual barrel
thickness ( radius of the out side of the barrel minus the bore
radius). As in "If you were going to bore a hole the length of a steel
round to serve as a barrel, what radius/diameter round would you
need?"
(As I sit here, I realize I can start by boring a hole in a 6 inch
cube, then turn the cube down concentric to the axis, until I get a
barrel radius of the size I want. But that size is also determined by
the strength of the material, the pressure in the chamber, intended
amount felt recoil, and so forth. But I don't know what outside
diameter should be. (Yeah, I know - "About that much, plus or minus a
quart...")

So, does anyone have ballpark figures for determining barrel
dimensions, based upon the size bullet / cartridge it is to fire? Part
of me thinks even an "X is safe, plus a safety margin of Y%" would
work. At least for a "proof of concept" silliness.

I think I am going to have to take that class on materials
properties.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once wrote