Old August 1st 13, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default does a diebold R-5425 data-safe have asbestos

I am a consultant looking to identify asbestos (or not) in the safe
walls...can't resell the items (there are four) without knowledge of the
potential for asbestos inside.

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...os-581044-.htm

Old August 1st 13, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/1/2013 9:18 AM, Environova wrote:
I am a consultant looking to identify asbestos (or not) in the safe
walls...can't resell the items (there are four) without knowledge of the
potential for asbestos inside.

So, say there is asbestos. What happens if you are wrong and there is
not asbestos?

Paul
Old August 1st 13, 07:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Environova wrote:

I am a consultant looking to identify asbestos (or not) in the safe
walls...can't resell the items (there are four) without knowledge of the
potential for asbestos inside.

Why don't you ask Diebold?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Old August 1st 13, 07:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Paul Drahn , Environova wrote:
pdrahn wrote:

So, say there is asbestos. What happens if you are wrong and there is
not asbestos?
Paul

Nothing happens other than excessive disposal cost - unless the unit is
resold for use, then there is no problem whatsoever. If, however, it goes
the other way(saying there's none and there really is some), then there
could be significant fines and jail time if someone opens the walls and
gets exposed.

Old August 1st 13, 08:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

replying to Michael A. Terrell , Environova wrote:
mike.terrell wrote:

Why don't you ask Diebold?
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Diebold has moved and there number just rings...not even voicemail.

Old August 1st 13, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

pdrahn wrote:

So, say there is asbestos. What happens if you are wrong and there is
not asbestos?
Paul

Nothing happens other than excessive disposal cost - unless the unit is
resold for use, then there is no problem whatsoever. If, however, it goes
the other way(saying there's none and there really is some), then there
could be significant fines and jail time if someone opens the walls and
gets exposed.

Let me know what you find out, I also have a diebold data safe that I
mean to offer for sale.

I believe that they all use drywall type material instead of
asbestos. Drywall gypsum has better heat resistance, because it can
absorb a lot of heat while thermally disintegrating. It does not
really need asbestos.

Old August 1st 13, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4354 fired this volley in
:

I believe that they all use drywall type material instead of
asbestos. Drywall gypsum has better heat resistance, because it can
absorb a lot of heat while thermally disintegrating. It does not
really need asbestos.

Ig,
It's true that asbestos is not required for the insulative qualities.
However, in a lot of older gypsum-lined apparatus that would be exposed
to heat, they used chopped asbestos fiber to reinforce the poured gypsum,
so that it would not crack during curing, oven drying, and handling.

Cracks would condemn the safe in a fire; very quickly, actually.

Lloyd
Old August 1st 13, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Environova" wrote in
message oups.com...
replying to Michael A. Terrell , Environova wrote:
mike.terrell wrote:

Why don't you ask Diebold? -- Anyone wanting to run for any political
office in the US should have to have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Diebold has moved and there number just rings...not even voicemail.

Umm... Diebold is a huge, publically-traded multinational company. Have you
called the main number on the website:
http://www.diebold.com/our-company/P...s/default.aspx

Old August 1st 13, 10:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4354 wrote:

Let me know what you find out, I also have a diebold data safe that I
mean to offer for sale.

I'd call Diebold. As far as I know, they are still in the
ATM business, at least. I suspect they HAVE to answer such
questions by law. "Data safe" sounds like it is for protecting
computer media, and therefor is probably fairly recent, so it has
a good chance to be asbestos-free.

Jon
Old August 2nd 13, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-08-01, Jon Elson wrote:
Ignoramus4354 wrote:

Let me know what you find out, I also have a diebold data safe that I
mean to offer for sale.

I'd call Diebold. As far as I know, they are still in the
ATM business, at least. I suspect they HAVE to answer such
questions by law. "Data safe" sounds like it is for protecting
computer media, and therefor is probably fairly recent, so it has
a good chance to be asbestos-free.

Data safes are awesome. They are much better protected against fire,
than regular safes. Mine is rated for reaching only 150 degrees inside
after being in fire for 2 hours.