Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF lets me done

For years I've telling people what a great deal the HF angle grinder is.
I bought my first ones for $8.99, probably 10-12 years ago and I only
just had one die (armature winding, I think).

So I pulled out one that I had in reserve, that I had bought a few
months ago, on sale for $12.99. What a piece of ****! A brush wasn't
seated right and quickly arced itself to death. On disassembly it was
obviously too ****ty to be worth bothering with (e.g., the bush holder
was held by a rivet that was almost falling out).

So, I'm done with you, Harbor Freight - you and your crappy grinders.
It was great while it lasted.

I'll have to spend a lot more now (and not on any HF look-alikes), but
it is very satisfying to use a good tool.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You blew off an entire company because of
one bad tool? Huh? Did you take it back for
free replacement? Is your reaction a bit excess
for the situation?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...
For years I've telling people what a great deal the HF angle grinder is.
I bought my first ones for $8.99, probably 10-12 years ago and I only
just had one die (armature winding, I think).

So I pulled out one that I had in reserve, that I had bought a few
months ago, on sale for $12.99. What a piece of ****! A brush wasn't
seated right and quickly arced itself to death. On disassembly it was
obviously too ****ty to be worth bothering with (e.g., the bush holder
was held by a rivet that was almost falling out).

So, I'm done with you, Harbor Freight - you and your crappy grinders.
It was great while it lasted.

I'll have to spend a lot more now (and not on any HF look-alikes), but
it is very satisfying to use a good tool.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 17:47:13 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

For years I've telling people what a great deal the HF angle grinder is.
I bought my first ones for $8.99, probably 10-12 years ago and I only
just had one die (armature winding, I think).

So I pulled out one that I had in reserve, that I had bought a few
months ago, on sale for $12.99. What a piece of ****! A brush wasn't
seated right and quickly arced itself to death. On disassembly it was
obviously too ****ty to be worth bothering with (e.g., the bush holder
was held by a rivet that was almost falling out).

So, I'm done with you, Harbor Freight - you and your crappy grinders.
It was great while it lasted.

I'll have to spend a lot more now (and not on any HF look-alikes), but
it is very satisfying to use a good tool.

Bob

Was the new one an Orange and White one? Those seem to last for a
very long time. I had one die a couple weeks ago. The gear between
the motor and the angle drive apparently. Motor runs, wheel doesnt go
around. It was my first orange and white one, bought according to the
engraving I put on the head, 11-13-2003

So Ive gotten almost 10 yrs out of it with regular use..its the oldest
one I own.

Which appears to be this one....

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...der-91223.html

but evidently they have changed the handle color.

Is that the one you bought? Or was it one of the cheapies like this
one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/angle-g...-12-69645.html

Too much plastic in the head..the spindle lock button is plastic.

Take it back to HF and either exchange it for a new one..and they will
exchange it..or swap up for the one I recommended.

And they will do that as well.

Or you can buy this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Metabo-W...-/161022584658

Im sure it will outlast 3-4 of the HF grinders.

Now lets see here...hummm....$138/22.00 = 6.2222222

So you can buy 6 of the HF grinders for one Metabo. Given the
apparent life span of each HF grinder than 10 yrs....lets assume 10
yrs life under normal no professional use. So you can buy 60 yrs
worth of grinders for the price of one Metabo..which will have a life
span of at least 30 yrs under the same usage.

Now do you expect to live an additional 60 or 30 yrs?

I do...., but I doubt Ill be doing a hell of a lot of grinding at the
end of that time frame. What I did was buy 3 grinders....or 30 yrs
worth (grin) and if they are worn out..Ill simply use one of the
others that I own..Makita, Ryobi etc etc. All of which..including the
(2) 9" Milwaukee angle grinders...added up..doesnt come to $138.
And I know the Milwaukees are older than 20 yrs each. Shrug
Buying used at yard sales and swap meets ...certainly has some
economic bennies....

Btw..I bought a HF grinder that cost $9 on sale a couple years ago. It
was green, and had a cord about 3' long. Needed it on a job..for that
job and I needed it NOW. So after the job was done..I took it home and
used it for another 3-4 hours max..and the bushing in the head
exploded/disintergrated. So HF sells good ones..and crap ones. You
just need to buy the good ones.

And thats the end of my preaching to the choir for today.

(grin)

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/4/2013 5:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You blew off an entire company because of
one bad tool?

Yes and no. I certainly blew off their angle grinders and other
electric hand tools. There's some other stuff that I will likely
continue to buy there.

Did you take it back for free replacement?

No! I wouldn't want another one! (Even if I had kept the receipt.)
And $12.99 isn't worth an hour's driving for a refund.

It wasn't that this one had a defect. The defect was in the _design_.
That's really what I'm unhappy about - the design quality.

Is your reaction a bit excess for the situation?

Maybe. Maybe also that I feel betrayed - I've been a believer and
promoter for so long. A "How could they do this to me?" kind of thing.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I thought something looked funny in the subject. Duh - it's "HF lets me
_down_".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/4/2013 7:29 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Which appears to be this one....

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...der-91223.html

but evidently they have changed the handle color.

Is that the one you bought? Or was it one of the cheapies like this
one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/angle-g...-12-69645.html

Oh, it was the cheap one. I always buy the cheap ones and they've
always been good value. Till now.

Or you can buy this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Metabo-W...-/161022584658

Oh ... "Metabo"! I've always heard great things about them. But $138
is a bit more than I want to spend.

Im sure it will outlast 3-4 of the HF grinders.

Now lets see here...hummm....$138/22.00 = 6.2222222

So you can buy 6 of the HF grinders for one Metabo. Given the
apparent life span of each HF grinder than 10 yrs...

Well, I used to get 10 years out of them, but this last one was more
like 10 minutes.

And thats the end of my preaching to the choir for today.

OK and that's the end of my ranting.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 16:29:21 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

Btw..I bought a HF grinder that cost $9 on sale a couple years ago. It
was green, and had a cord about 3' long. Needed it on a job..for that
job and I needed it NOW. So after the job was done..I took it home and
used it for another 3-4 hours max..and the bushing in the head
exploded/disintergrated. So HF sells good ones..and crap ones. You
just need to buy the good ones.

Sooo, which are the good ones?

69645

60625

91223

60372

65519

I have a blue and black one, 3150, which is still kicking after 5
years. It's noisy as hell but it works as advertised. shrug
I think it was $12.99 on sale.

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 7/4/2013 5:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You blew off an entire company because of
one bad tool?

Yes and no. I certainly blew off their angle grinders and other electric
hand tools. There's some other stuff that I will likely continue to buy
there.

I buy red shop rags there.

Did you take it back for free replacement?

No! I wouldn't want another one! (Even if I had kept the receipt.) And
$12.99 isn't worth an hour's driving for a refund.

It wasn't that this one had a defect. The defect was in the _design_.
That's really what I'm unhappy about - the design quality.

Is your reaction a bit excess for the situation?

Maybe. Maybe also that I feel betrayed - I've been a believer and
promoter for so long. A "How could they do this to me?" kind of thing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Jul 2013 19:54:57 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

On 7/4/2013 7:29 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Which appears to be this one....

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...der-91223.html

but evidently they have changed the handle color.

Is that the one you bought? Or was it one of the cheapies like this
one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/angle-g...-12-69645.html

Oh, it was the cheap one. I always buy the cheap ones and they've
always been good value. Till now.

So you managed to skate using the One Use Tools and are now upset you
got one that didnt last more than One Use?

Or you can buy this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Metabo-W...-/161022584658

Oh ... "Metabo"! I've always heard great things about them. But $138
is a bit more than I want to spend.

Very very good thinks

Im sure it will outlast 3-4 of the HF grinders.

Now lets see here...hummm....$138/22.00 = 6.2222222

So you can buy 6 of the HF grinders for one Metabo. Given the
apparent life span of each HF grinder than 10 yrs...

Well, I used to get 10 years out of them, but this last one was more
like 10 minutes.

So you got a bad one. And are now refusing to "take another chance"

And thats the end of my preaching to the choir for today.

OK and that's the end of my ranting.

Bob

Take the crappy one back, and exchange it for one of the ones I
pointed out as being decent units, shrug and tell yourself..."I got a
bad one, **** happens"

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Btw..I bought a HF grinder that cost $9 on sale a couple years ago. It
was green, and had a cord about 3' long. Needed it on a job..for that
job and I needed it NOW. So after the job was done..I took it home and
used it for another 3-4 hours max..and the bushing in the head
exploded/disintergrated. So HF sells good ones..and crap ones. You
just need to buy the good ones.

Sooo, which are the good ones?

69645

60625

91223

The 91223 is the one I know to be a good one.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I had a moment of triumph, as I didn't comment on that. I'm far too much the netpick, and I'm trying to repent.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message ...
I thought something looked funny in the subject. Duh - it's "HF lets me
_down_".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Existential Angst" wrote in message
"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message
news:X4ydnYy4ib_L3EvMnZ2dnUVZ_qydnZ2d@scnresearch. com...

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
On 7/4/2013 5:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You blew off an entire company because of
one bad tool?

Yes and no. I certainly blew off their angle grinders and other
electric hand tools. There's some other stuff that I will likely
continue to buy there.

I buy red shop rags there.

Toxic dye?? lol

Launder prior to first use, they do not soak fluids up well otherwise.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a moment of triumph, as I didn't comment on that. I'm far too much the netpick, and I'm trying to repent.

I didn't know that you'd ever pent...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 05 Jul 2013 16:44:57 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a moment of triumph, as I didn't comment on that. I'm far too much the netpick, and I'm trying to repent.

I didn't know that you'd ever pent...

Well, he's never REpented. He still uses that goddamned sig of his
after about 500 people have asked him to change it. sigh

P.S: What's he pickin' on the net, anyway? Teeners?

--
A sound mind in a sound body is a short but full description
of a happy state in this world.
-- John Locke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a moment of triumph, as I didn't comment on that. I'm far too much the netpick, and I'm trying to repent.

I didn't know that you'd ever pent...

Well, he's never REpented. He still uses that goddamned sig of his
after about 500 people have asked him to change it. sigh

P.S: What's he pickin' on the net, anyway? Teeners?

Don't ask, Don't tell.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sigh. I hadn't, but keep meaning to pent.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message m...

Stormin Mormon wrote:

I had a moment of triumph, as I didn't comment on that. I'm far too much the netpick, and I'm trying to repent.

I didn't know that you'd ever pent...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eek, this thread just took a turn for the worse.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message m...

P.S: What's he pickin' on the net, anyway? Teeners?

Don't ask, Don't tell.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Eek, this thread just took a turn for the worse.

I took a turn for the nurse!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sigh. I hadn't, but keep meaning to pent.

You better hurry, before they are all gon...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If I can pent, then I can repent.

Would I look for them in the penthouse? Are they all pentagon?
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sigh. I hadn't, but keep meaning to pent.

You better hurry, before they are all gon...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sigh. I hadn't, but keep meaning to pent.

You better hurry, before they are all gon...

I have to repent every couple of years.
I use a good quality oil base pent, but the building is close to the street
and the water splashed up by cars beats the hell out of the pent.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 07 Jul 2013 16:08:25 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Eek, this thread just took a turn for the worse.

I took a turn for the nurse!

When I did that in the hospital's recovery room, she tweaked my
private parts with her thumb and middle finger. That let the air out
in a hurry, lemme tell ya. It probably hurt as bad as a walker
accident, but my nurse was YOUNG.

--
We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is
no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Eek, this thread just took a turn for the worse.

I took a turn for the nurse!

When I did that in the hospital's recovery room, she tweaked my
private parts with her thumb and middle finger. That let the air out
in a hurry, lemme tell ya. It probably hurt as bad as a walker
accident, but my nurse was YOUNG.

Mine was 12 when we met and I went to her capping ceremony, after we
graduated from high school.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

If I can pent, then I can repent.

Would I look for them in the penthouse?

Would they let you into the penthouse?

Are they all pentagon?

Or the Penatgon?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Repent, and thin no more.
..
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..
..
"Paul K. Dickman" wrote in message ...

I have to repent every couple of years.
I use a good quality oil base pent, but the building is close to the street
and the water splashed up by cars beats the hell out of the pent.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Repent, and thin no more.

Who said, "I'll do the thinnin' round here!"

Spoiler

Quick-Draw MacGraw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 08:28:00 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Repent, and thin no more.

Who said, "I'll do the thinnin' round here!"

Spoiler

Quick-Draw MacGraw

You mean Queeks Draw? (His pronunciation Yeah, I remember him.
-
I couldn't go to school with a good attitude until I watched Deputy
Dawg on my robotic-looking Philco TV in the morning.
http://tinyurl.com/m7g8jua

--
We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is
no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected.
--Henry David Thoreau
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Repent, and thin no more.

Who said, "I'll do the thinnin' round here!"

Spoiler

Quick-Draw MacGraw

You mean Queeks Draw? (His pronunciation Yeah, I remember him.
-
I couldn't go to school with a good attitude until I watched Deputy
Dawg on my robotic-looking Philco TV in the morning.
http://tinyurl.com/m7g8jua

That was Baba- Looey's pronunciation.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Repent, and thin no more.

Who said, "I'll do the thinnin' round here!"

Spoiler

Quick-Draw MacGraw

You mean Queeks Draw? (His pronunciation Yeah, I remember him.

Not quite, and it wasn't El-Kabong's either!

I couldn't go to school with a good attitude until I watched Deputy
Dawg on my robotic-looking Philco TV in the morning.
http://tinyurl.com/m7g8jua

The Predicta. One of the worst TVs ever built. A lot of people try
to restore those.

I remember running those cartoons at the TV station at Ft. greely,
and watching them on the waveform monitor. Some of those line drawing
were so simple, you could see them in the waveform.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Repent, and thin no more.

Who said, "I'll do the thinnin' round here!"

Spoiler

Quick-Draw MacGraw

You mean Queeks Draw? (His pronunciation Yeah, I remember him.
-
I couldn't go to school with a good attitude until I watched Deputy
Dawg on my robotic-looking Philco TV in the morning.
http://tinyurl.com/m7g8jua

Oh I like this one!!!

http://www.creativecrash.com/system/...jpg?1251173050

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Repent, and thin no more.

Who said, "I'll do the thinnin' round here!"

Spoiler

Quick-Draw MacGraw

You mean Queeks Draw? (His pronunciation Yeah, I remember him.

Not quite, and it wasn't El-Kabong's either!

I couldn't go to school with a good attitude until I watched Deputy
Dawg on my robotic-looking Philco TV in the morning.
http://tinyurl.com/m7g8jua

The Predicta. One of the worst TVs ever built. A lot of people try
to restore those.

The "Meteor" model is fascinating!!

I remember running those cartoons at the TV station at Ft. greely,
and watching them on the waveform monitor. Some of those line drawing
were so simple, you could see them in the waveform.

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The Predicta. One of the worst TVs ever built. A lot of people
try to restore those.

The "Meteor" model is fascinating!!

Unless you have to repair the ugly beasts. I'm glad vacuum tubes are
museum pieces these days.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 09 Jul 2013 17:02:24 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The Predicta. One of the worst TVs ever built. A lot of people
try to restore those.

The "Meteor" model is fascinating!!

Unless you have to repair the ugly beasts. I'm glad vacuum tubes are
museum pieces these days.

That would be way cool with a flat screen on it though!! Maybe a
fm/am/computer/wifi link stereo and DVD player built into the base
and a vcr? Interesting retro conversion dontcha think? Swivel head
and all. Some matching Wifi speakers..or carrier current remote
speakers....

Im gonna ponder on that...be a fairly simple build....thanks!!

Gunner

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
repeating some stupid, meaningless phrase a billion times" Arms for
hostages, arms for hostages, arms for hostages, it's just about sex, just
about sex, just about sex, dumb,dumb, money in politics,money in
politics, Enron, Enron, Enron. Nothing repeated with mind-numbing
frequency in all major news outlets will not be believed by some members
of the populace. It is the permanence of evil; you can't stop it." (Ann
Coulter)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Repent, and thin no more.

Who said, "I'll do the thinnin' round here!"

Spoiler

Quick-Draw MacGraw

You mean Queeks Draw? (His pronunciation Yeah, I remember him.

Not quite, and it wasn't El-Kabong's either!

I couldn't go to school with a good attitude until I watched Deputy
Dawg on my robotic-looking Philco TV in the morning.
http://tinyurl.com/m7g8jua

The Predicta. One of the worst TVs ever built. A lot of people try
to restore those.

We had it for many years without any problems. The big color TV was
in the living room and we watched all the Disney movies there. Man,
the color was sooooooooooo bad back in the Sixties...

I remember running those cartoons at the TV station at Ft. greely,
and watching them on the waveform monitor. Some of those line drawing
were so simple, you could see them in the waveform.

Cool.

--
We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is
no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected.
--Henry David Thoreau

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:

Repent, and thin no more.

Who said, "I'll do the thinnin' round here!"

Spoiler

Quick-Draw MacGraw

You mean Queeks Draw? (His pronunciation Yeah, I remember him.

Not quite, and it wasn't El-Kabong's either!

Yeah, it was someone else on his show who called him that.

I couldn't go to school with a good attitude until I watched Deputy
Dawg on my robotic-looking Philco TV in the morning.
http://tinyurl.com/m7g8jua

The Predicta. One of the worst TVs ever built. A lot of people try
to restore those.

Yabbut, it's so cool looking, innit?

The "Meteor" model is fascinating!!

I think ours was a Princess, but it had dual pivots. I used to watch
it from the floor and moved the tube down to point at me. The knobs
on the front right look familiar. Yeah, the Meteor was ahead of its
time, spacewise.

--
We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is
no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected.
--Henry David Thoreau
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The Predicta. One of the worst TVs ever built. A lot of people
try to restore those.

The "Meteor" model is fascinating!!

Unless you have to repair the ugly beasts. I'm glad vacuum tubes are
museum pieces these days.

I hear that Russia is the only source for new vacuum tubes nowadays,
but that they're well made there.

--
We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is
no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected.
--Henry David Thoreau
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I couldn't go to school with a good attitude until I watched Deputy
Dawg on my robotic-looking Philco TV in the morning.
http://tinyurl.com/m7g8jua

Oh I like this one!!!

http://www.creativecrash.com/system/...jpg?1251173050

It's a bloody wannabe!

--
We cannot but pity the boy who has never fired a gun; he is
no more humane, while his education has been sadly neglected.
--Henry David Thoreau
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Tue, 09 Jul 2013 14:30:44 -0700
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The Predicta. One of the worst TVs ever built. A lot of people
try to restore those.

The "Meteor" model is fascinating!!

Unless you have to repair the ugly beasts. I'm glad vacuum tubes are
museum pieces these days.

That would be way cool with a flat screen on it though!! Maybe a
fm/am/computer/wifi link stereo and DVD player built into the base
and a vcr? Interesting retro conversion dontcha think? Swivel head
and all. Some matching Wifi speakers..or carrier current remote
speakers....

Im gonna ponder on that...be a fairly simple build....thanks!!

Years ago it was the fad to have a box like the old hand cranked
telephone, with the guts replaced with a pushbutton phone. I thought
then "It would be cool to have some sort of voice activate system, so
it would appear to work like in the old days." As in - hold the
earpiece and talk into the mouthpiece "Hello Mable, Put me through to
George."
Of course, nowadays, it would be a hack of a decent cell phone to
get the guts, but ...t hat would be so cool.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

I hear that Russia is the only source for new vacuum tubes nowadays,
but that they're well made there.

HAve you seen any of them? Lots of complaints about build quality,
and looking like they were made first thing Monday morning, after a
weekend on Vodka. Some are made in China, as well. Richardson
Electronics still supplies transmitting tubes. They bought Eimac, and
other high end US tube manufacturers as they were dying off. Would you
trust a Russian clone of a 4CX1500?

Lets roll! Stormin Mormon[_7_] Home Repair 1117 September 23rd 12 09:50 AM
Lets roll! terryc Metalworking 1 July 22nd 12 04:23 AM
Buy to lets Phil Gardner UK diy 457 December 4th 07 01:28 AM
Lets all buy from Sears ANovice Home Repair 53 November 21st 07 02:19 AM
Lets Black Out the USA fred@_______.com Home Repair 71 August 3rd 06 01:43 PM