Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lets all buy from Sears

Subject: Sears - Christmas shopping has already started

I know I needed this reminder since Sears isn't always my first choice.
Amazing when you think of how long the war has lasted and they haven't
withdrawn from their commitment. Could we each buy at least one thing at
Sears this year?

How does Sears treat its employees who are called up for military duty? By
law, they are required to hold their jobs open and available, but nothing
more. Usually, people take a big pay cut and lose benefits as a result of
being called up.

Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all
benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up
reservist employees for up to two years.

I submit that Sears is an exemplary corporate citizen and should be
recognized for its contribution. I suggest we all shop at Sears, and be sure
to find a manager to tell them why we are there so the company gets the
positive reinforcement it well deserves.

Pass it on.

Decided to check this before I sent it forward. So I sent the following
e-mail to the Sears Customer Service Department:

I received this e-mail and I would like to know if it is true. If it is, the
Internet may have just become one very good source of advertisement for your
company. I know I would go out of my way to buy products from Sears instead
of another store for a like item, even if it's cheaper at that store.

This is their answer to my e-mail:

Dear Customer:

Thank you for contacting Sears.The information is factual. We appreciate
your positive feedback.

Sears regards service to our country as one of greatest sacrifices our young
men and women can make. We are happy to do our part to lessen the burden
they bear at this time.

Bill Thorn
Sears Customer Care

1-800-349-4358

Please pass this on to all your friends. Sears needs to be recognized for
this outstanding contribution and we need to show them as Americans, we do
appreciate what they are doing for our military!!!

It's Verified ! By Snopes.com at:
http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/sears.asp (shows the entire article)

Posted to alt.home.repair

When they stop selling overpriced crap I will be there in a flash.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:33:39 -0600, "ANovice"
wrote:

snip

I am in the market to buy a spindle sander. After getting a price
quote, Sears was the highest ($1120+tax). I got a low bid of $780.
Lowest price delivered wins! It saves to check around.
Posted to alt.home.repair

sears home service is a fools price rip off, charging 2 travel charges
to have the exact same tech service a furnace with air on one trip.

sears appliances always cost more.

more to buy, more for service..

the satisfaction guaranteed or your money back guarantee left when k
mart took over.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SCREW SEARS IN THE A??

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

snip

I am in the market to buy a spindle sander. After getting a price
quote, Sears was the highest ($1120+tax). I got a low bid of $780.
Lowest price delivered wins! It saves to check around.

Lowest price delivered wins!

On an apples to apples basis, true.

On a quality, features, service and warranty basis, not so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Sears lost my business 7 years ago when they sent gang members to my
house to deliver appliances. I haven't been back since.
Lou

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 1:33 pm, "ANovice" wrote:

[...]

I've got kind of a funny story about Sears...at best they were an
unknowing victim of their ad agency, at worst they were knowingly
dishonest.

I have a friend who lives in one of the more upscale neighborhoods in
our area. Real nice house, beautiful landscaping.

One Sunday morning she's enjoying a cup of coffee while flipping
through the ad's in the paper. She comes across the Sears insert and
right there on the front page is a picture of her house along with
some text extolling the quality of Sears roofing and siding services.
The thing is, Sears had nothing to do with siding or roofing their
house. It was all done by the custom builder they used for the rest of
the house. Now, the ad never said "Here's an example of our work", but
it was obvious that whoever put the ad together wanted to make a real
nice impression.

As it turns out, the husband is a lawyer, so he wrote a very nice
letter asking Sears to stop using his house in their ads. Next week's
flyer had a different house in the ad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 8, 2:38 pm, " wrote:
sears home service is a fools price rip off, charging 2 travel charges
to have the exact same tech service a furnace with air on one trip.

sears appliances always cost more.

more to buy, more for service..

the satisfaction guaranteed or your money back guarantee left when k
mart took over.

Sears owns K...

Well, not really. Just like SBC started calling themselves ATT when they
bought ATT, when the holding company that owned Kmart bought Sears, they
started calling themselves Sears, since it had a better public image
after all the bloodletting during the Kmart downsizing. They also closed
down the Troy MI Kmart HQ, and moved all the non-redundant people to the
suburban Chicago Sears HQ (where they moved after having to sell the
tower downtown that they really shouldn't have built.) A whole lotta
people got screwed over bigtime on now-worthless stocks held by their
retirement plans.

Other than Craftsman non-powered tools when they have a sale, there
really isn't anything either store carries that interests me. Yes, with
a couple of minor exceptions, the craftsman-branded tools are still
guaranteed. The cheap line, known as 'companion', are not.

They missed a bet with the merger, IMHO- rather than close or sell off
the stand-alone or stripmall Kmarts, they should have walked away from
the expen$ive enclosed-mall rents where Sears is, and made the Kmarts
into old-style Sears stores like in the 1960s and 70s. Sears is too nice
to be Wally World, but not nice enough to be a high-line fashion store.
They tried to go upscale 30 years ago, and it bit them in the butt,
bigtime.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Another plug for them you may not know about. They do *excellent* work
helping FPO AP customers in remote areas order products and they do not
charge more than stateside mailing.

Since mailing to an FPO AP doesnt cost more (just taes longer) this is
correct behavior. Most however, treat us as 'overseas' and charge quite a
bit extra and bank the profit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message
When they stop selling overpriced crap I will be there in a flash.

Price, Quality, Service. Pick any two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

nick hull wrote:
In article ,
"ANovice" wrote:

Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and
maintaining all benefits, including medical insurance and bonus
programs, for all called up reservist employees for up to two years.

If you want the war to last forever, support Sears & Bush. If you
want the war to end, boycott Sears. Let those dumb enough to fight
wars for Halliburton pay the price.

Sadly, the social liberals are responsible for the war lasing a long time.

Due to imposed "humanitarian" concerns imposed upon the rules of engagement,
our forces are precluded from killing off the goblins faster than they can
breed. Attrition is no longer a viable option.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 06:56:14 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote
Re Lets all buy from Sears:

Sadly, the social liberals are responsible for the war lasing a long time.

We have met the enemy and he is us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 13:34:36 -0600, IGot2P wrote:

wrote:
On Nov 8, 2:38 pm, " wrote:
sears home service is a fools price rip off, charging 2 travel charges
to have the exact same tech service a furnace with air on one trip.

sears appliances always cost more.

more to buy, more for service..

the satisfaction guaranteed or your money back guarantee left when k
mart took over.

Sears owns K...

No, K-Mart acquired Sears in 2005.

I was just in a K-mart today, and I still think the association with
Sears sounds strange.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 8, 5:50 pm, wrote:
On Nov 8, 2:38 pm, " wrote:

the satisfaction guaranteed or your money back guarantee left when k
mart took over.

Sears owns K...

No, K bought Sears. K went bankrupt, K sold off lots of real estate,
K had LOTS of money, K bought Sears.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:

Sadly, the social liberals are responsible for the war lasing a long time.

What war? I happened to be in San Diego three years ago when the
President stood on the deck of an aircraft carrier in his camouflage
suit to tell us that our mission in Iraq had been accomplished and the
war was over. I always believe what the President says. It's
unpatriotic not to.
Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

Paul MR wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Sadly, the social liberals are responsible for the war lasing a long
time.

What war? I happened to be in San Diego three years ago when the
President stood on the deck of an aircraft carrier in his camouflage
suit to tell us that our mission in Iraq had been accomplished and the
war was over. I always believe what the President says. It's
unpatriotic not to.
Paul

I, too, have been drunk in San Diego.

The president did not wear camoflage (it was a flight suit).

He wore a standard business suit as he delivered his speech.

The USS Abraham Lincoln was not in San Diego.

In his speech, he did not mention the word "accomplished," "completed,"
"finished," or "over" (with one exception below). He did say: "Our mission
continues. Al Qaida is wounded but not destroyed...The war on terror is not
over, yet it is not endless. We do not know the day of final victory, but we
have seen the turning of the tide."

You may be thinking of his statement: "... major combat operations in Iraq
have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have
prevailed." But, of course, he was refering to engagements with the Iraqi
army. There have been no major (brigade or larger unit) sized operations
since.

Here's the speech for your review:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/05/01/bush.transcript/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 7:09 am, nick hull wrote:
In article ,

"ANovice" wrote:
Sears is voluntarily paying the difference in salaries and maintaining all
benefits, including medical insurance and bonus programs, for all called up
reservist employees for up to two years.

If you want the war to last forever, support Sears & Bush. If you want
the war to end, boycott Sears. Let those dumb enough to fight wars for
Halliburton pay the price.

Supporting the troops is not the same as supporting Bush or the
war...it is supporting families.
Try opening your eyes...and keeping your head out of your posterior.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 9, 6:27 pm, yugami wrote:
On Nov 8, 5:50 pm, wrote:

On Nov 8, 2:38 pm, " wrote:

the satisfaction guaranteed or your money back guarantee left when k
mart took over.

Sears owns K...

No, K bought Sears. K went bankrupt, K sold off lots of real estate,
K had LOTS of money, K bought Sears.

S.S.Kresge (where the K comes from) started a store in 1899 in Detroit
later moving to Troy.
There was a merger...the new Sears Holdings is in Hoffman Estates, Il.
where Sears was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Paul MR wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

[...]

You're trying to provide facts to those who prefer to not to hear. What is
so hilarious, though, is that those same folks will scream bloody murder
whenever someone brings up Algore's "I created the internet" moment.
ROTFLOL.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:54:56 -0800, "Dave Bugg"

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:43:11 -0800, "Dave Bugg"
wrote:

HeyBub wrote:
Paul MR wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Sadly, the social liberals are responsible for the war lasing a
long time.
What war? I happened to be in San Diego three years ago when the
President stood on the deck of an aircraft carrier in his
camouflage suit to tell us that our mission in Iraq had been
accomplished and the war was over. I always believe what the
President says. It's unpatriotic not to.
Paul

I, too, have been drunk in San Diego.

The president did not wear camoflage (it was a flight suit).

He wore a standard business suit as he delivered his speech.

The USS Abraham Lincoln was not in San Diego.

In his speech, he did not mention the word "accomplished,"
"completed," "finished," or "over" (with one exception below).

No, he made his speech standing in front of a HUGE banner hung by
his advance crew that said in letters several feet tall: MISSION
ACCOMPLISHED

Later, his spin crew tried valiantly to convince the media that they
had nothing to do with that huge banner that "Just happened to be
there".

Wars have many missions. The mission to destroy the Iraqi army and
depose So-Dammned-Insane WAS accomplished.

Sure, Rush, take some more pills.

That's a rebuttal? You hear something that doesn't match your opinion and
you throw out something that has nothing to do with the facts at hand? You'd
better go back and read the transcript from the speech Bush gave during that
event:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/05/01/bush.transcript/

As was stated by a Heybub:

"You may be thinking of his statement: "... major combat operations in Iraq
have ended. In the battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have
prevailed." But, of course, he was refering to engagements with the Iraqi
army. There have been no major (brigade or larger unit) sized operations
since."

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Nov 8, 2:38 pm, " wrote:
sears home service is a fools price rip off, charging 2 travel charges
to have the exact same tech service a furnace with air on one trip.

sears appliances always cost more.

more to buy, more for service..

the satisfaction guaranteed or your money back guarantee left when k
mart took over.

Sears owns K...

No, K-Mart acquired Sears in 2005.

Then, the ankle bracelet acquired Martha in 2006

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:20:03 -0600, Shanghai McCoy wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:09:41 -0600, Shanghai McCoy wrote:

wrote:
On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 17:07:49 -0500, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article ,

wrote:

No, he made his speech standing in front of a HUGE banner hung by his advance
crew that said in letters several feet tall: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
Which was placed by carrier's Capt and crew before they left the Gulf
and LONG before the presidential trip was planned.
Later, his spin crew tried valiantly to convince the media that they had
nothing
to do with that huge banner that "Just happened to be there".
Of course since that was the truth.; It was an indication that the
carrier's mission had been accomplished.
Have another cup of koolaid, Kurt.

No Koolaid involved. When a dignitary visits a deployed vessel, the crew
hangs signs. They hang bigger signs for bigger dignitaries. I'm sure the
skipper of the boat had to approve the banner that hung on the island
that day, but I doubt he considered the fact that the media would use
the wordage as an anti-Bush rally slogan. The words 'MISSION
ACCOMPLISHED' were chosen and displayed by the crew, not the President's
press secretary, and the banner was placed by the crew as a background
for a speech by the POTUS. MM took it from there....
Here, let me refill your cup, Shanghai.

Now THERE'S a snappy comeback.

I sensed it was all you could grasp.

You assumed. I'm going to guess that you're a wingnut who's all mouth
and no spine. Ever been in the military? Thought not. Go push your
socialized medicine, but please stay away from our aircraft carriers - I
believe you'd F-up our banners.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT: Shipping to APOs (was: Lets all buy from Sears)

"Cshenk" wrote in message

[snip]

Since mailing to an FPO AP doesnt cost more (just taes longer) this is
correct behavior. Most however, treat us as 'overseas' and charge quite a
bit extra and bank the profit.

Not quite right -- it may not cost you or I more to mail to an APO, but it
costs many companies a LOT more, because their shipments to U.S. addresses
are highly discounted. Here's why -- companies such as on-line or TV
shopping channels like HSN use a trucking company, not the post office, to
move goods from their warehouse to the buyer's local post office . The
local post office delivers the package at a special discounted rate. The
combined costs of shipping plus local postal are less than using USPS from
the shipper's warehouse..

But they can't use this method to ship to APOs because their trucking
company can't get there, so they either have to set up a separate shipping
procedure for APO mailings -- making the overhead and the shipping for APO
orders more expensive, or make a business decision not to sell to APO
addresses.

If you ever have an order from HSN that doesn't get delivered, and trace it
back to the post office, you'll find out that it was delivered to your local
PO by R R Donnelly Logistics. Other on-line or TV sellers have similar
arrangements.

Companies which use FedEx, UPS, etc. have similar problems delivering to
APOs

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT: Shipping to APOs

JimR wrote:
"Cshenk" wrote in message

[snip]
[...]

Chuckle. At work, for anything too big for the APO bag, we use DHL or
FEDEX into their depots in Bagram or Baghdad. Street addresses are kind
of fuzzy over there- our people often have to go pick it up themselves.
Shipping equipment into SWA is a major PITA- every border crossed, there
is some form to fill out, and some sort of 'inspection fee' or 'duty' to
pay. And if you **** off the head of whatever border station, well, your
stuff just sits. About 2 shipments out of 10 just sort of vanish without
a trace.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm suing Sears for the unbelievably horrible job they've done with
the installation and customer service on my central air conditioning
system.

You can read about it here (I hope you have some free time-- my list
of complaints is over 20 pages long):

www.BrainChampagne.com/sears.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:

They missed a bet with the merger, IMHO- rather than close or sell off
the stand-alone or stripmall Kmarts, they should have walked away from
the expen$ive enclosed-mall rents where Sears is, and made the Kmarts
into old-style Sears stores like in the 1960s and 70s.

In almost every case, department stores at malls are not paying rent.
They built, and own their buildings, and often the parking lots closest
to their stores. It actually is a big pain in the butt for mall owners,
because the department stores have veto power over new construction at
the mall that might have an impact on the department stores, even when
the impact is minimal. We're going through that at the mall near me,
where there are actually four different owners, Sears, JC Penney,
Federated, and Evershine (mall owner), and everything the mall owner
wants to do is subject to approval by the department store owners.

The department stores really can't do anything else with their mall
stores except to continue to operate them, or try to sell them to
another departments store chain. The zoning is such that they can't just
run out and tear down the store and build condos.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Lou wrote:
Sears lost my business 7 years ago when they sent gang members to my
house to deliver appliances. I haven't been back since.

Yeah, they outsourced the delivery and they outsourced the service, and
it got much worse. Never let them deliver anything. Hopefully you won't
need warranty service.

Still, they very often have the best price, by far, on appliances, and
have a much larger selection that places like Home Depot, Lowes's, Best
Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, or Costco. Costco has the benefit of a 2 year
standard warranty, but their selection is very limited.

I need to buy a range and microwave/hood for a rental unit. I was in
Sears today, and I did my usual "reluctant to buy today routine," which
almost always results in a fairly substantial price cut. In this case
the oven came down from $450 ($500 sale price - 10% mail in rebate) to
$382 with no rebate needed. This was the "associate friends and family
discount") which was 20% then another 10%, for 28% off the non-sale
price of $530.

I actually would have paid the higher price, as no other oven from any
manufacturer had the features I wanted for the rental, which was coil
burners (no ceramic top) but self-cleaning including the oven racks, and
a hidden oven element (the last two features are rather rare on
sub-$1000 ranges), though common on more expensive ceramic cooktop ranges.

Similarly, the microwave/hood I wanted was not available anywhere else.
I needed a relatively high CFM 30" hood/microwave (400 cfm) which is not
all that common for less than $500, but with the 28% discount, there is
new Kenmore model that is around $250. If you have tenants that do a lot
of Asian stir-fry type cooking, you need a high cfm exhaust. Even 400
cfm isn't terrific, but a lot of the microwave/hoods are 300 cfm or less.
Posted to alt.home.repair
RF RF is offline

SMS 斯蒂文 夏 wrote:
Lou wrote:
[...]

I bought a Kenmore microwave oven about 9 months ago and it went belly up
last week.

Prior to buying it I had a GE microwave and it lasted 26 years without
any repairs.
No more Kenmores for me, thank you.

RF
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 11/13/2007 7:05 PM RF said the following:
SMS 斯蒂文 夏 wrote:
Lou wrote:
[...]

Before buying a new microwave, find out who made the Kenmore, so you
don't go out and buy the same brand somewhere else.
http://www.appliance411.com/parts/sears.shtml

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Buy to lets Phil Gardner UK diy 457 December 4th 07 02:28 AM
Bathroom fan lets in draft. Donna Home Repair 9 February 2nd 07 02:56 AM
Lets Black Out the USA fred@_______.com Home Repair 71 August 3rd 06 02:43 PM
Lets all remember to be safety minded. Anthony Metalworking 42 May 28th 05 06:41 AM
Lets talk joints garyhuff Woodworking 3 December 3rd 04 05:37 AM