Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What kind of lathe has V-flat ways rails with 80 degree V angle? - Photo

In "What kind of lathe has V-flat ways rails with 80 degree V angle?"
posted on 14 June 2013 to RCM, I asked if anybody could identify a
steady rest with 80-degree included angle Vee-flat ways. I now have a
photo and description posted on the metalworking dropbox. (The owner
doesn't want the real URL published, to keep spam down.)

Google on Mystery_Steady_Rest.

The filenames are "Mystery_Steady_Rest.txt" and ~.jpg.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Need to say more as to the base description - and color of paint.
Is V on the front or rear. Is it light, dark gray or green or white or

Photo would be great.

I'll try to search.
Sounds like in the drop box.

Martin

On 6/30/2013 8:42 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In "What kind of lathe has V-flat ways rails with 80 degree V angle?"
posted on 14 June 2013 to RCM, I asked if anybody could identify a
steady rest with 80-degree included angle Vee-flat ways. I now have a
photo and description posted on the metalworking dropbox. (The owner
doesn't want the real URL published, to keep spam down.)

Google on Mystery_Steady_Rest.

The filenames are "Mystery_Steady_Rest.txt" and ~.jpg.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yep in the drop box.

I suspect it is a Logan or a Sheldon.

I have a Logan made (From Scott) center for my Sheldon.

My guess it is Sheldon from color, but heavy weight machines
have strong parts.

That is a nice and heavy looking one.

If the V matches yours - and the dimensions fit - might be good.

But that has been in the database for many years.

Martin

On 6/30/2013 8:42 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In "What kind of lathe has V-flat ways rails with 80 degree V angle?"
posted on 14 June 2013 to RCM, I asked if anybody could identify a
steady rest with 80-degree included angle Vee-flat ways. I now have a
photo and description posted on the metalworking dropbox. (The owner
doesn't want the real URL published, to keep spam down.)

Google on Mystery_Steady_Rest.

The filenames are "Mystery_Steady_Rest.txt" and ~.jpg.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 21:42:50 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In "What kind of lathe has V-flat ways rails with 80 degree V angle?"
posted on 14 June 2013 to RCM, I asked if anybody could identify a
steady rest with 80-degree included angle Vee-flat ways. I now have a
photo and description posted on the metalworking dropbox. (The owner
doesn't want the real URL published, to keep spam down.)

Google on Mystery_Steady_Rest.

The filenames are "Mystery_Steady_Rest.txt" and ~.jpg.

Joe Gwinn

Nice looking rest. Two things, fairly narrow ways for the center
height, and maximum diameter it can handle pretty small for the lathe.
Was it meant for the tailstock ways? Did some lathe makes offer more
than one size steady rest?

Good luck.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Martin Eastburn wrote:

Yep in the drop box.

I suspect it is a Logan or a Sheldon.

I have a Logan made (From Scott) center for my Sheldon.

Hmm. I can ask on the Logan reflector.

Is there a Sheldon newsgroup or reflector?

My guess it is Sheldon from color, but heavy weight machines
have strong parts.

That is a nice and heavy looking one.

It is quite sturdy.

If the V matches yours - and the dimensions fit - might be good.

It almost matches - Clausing Vee is 70 degrees, not 80 degrees.

Center height is the same as Clausing 5900, and space between Vee and
Flat is also almost the same.

The under-rail clamp is a tad too small, and has to be cocked to grip
the bedrails.

But that has been in the database for many years.

What has been in "the database"? Which database?

Joe

Martin

On 6/30/2013 8:42 PM, Joe Gwinn wrote:
In "What kind of lathe has V-flat ways rails with 80 degree V angle?"
posted on 14 June 2013 to RCM, I asked if anybody could identify a
steady rest with 80-degree included angle Vee-flat ways. I now have a
photo and description posted on the metalworking dropbox. (The owner
doesn't want the real URL published, to keep spam down.)

Google on Mystery_Steady_Rest.

The filenames are "Mystery_Steady_Rest.txt" and ~.jpg.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

In "What kind of lathe has V-flat ways rails with 80 degree V angle?"
posted on 14 June 2013 to RCM, I asked if anybody could identify a
steady rest with 80-degree included angle Vee-flat ways. I now have a
photo and description posted on the metalworking dropbox. (The owner
doesn't want the real URL published, to keep spam down.)

Google on Mystery_Steady_Rest.

The filenames are "Mystery_Steady_Rest.txt" and ~.jpg.

Joe Gwinn

Nice looking rest. Two things, fairly narrow ways for the center
height, and maximum diameter it can handle pretty small for the lathe.
Was it meant for the tailstock ways? Did some lathe makes offer more
than one size steady rest?

I have no idea what the original intent was, but is does fit the
tailstock ways of a Clausing 5900 lathe reasonably well.

I've never heard of a lathe having two sizes of steady rest.

Given the small hole diameter and beefy construction, I'd guess it was
for a lathe that usually used collets, versus 3-jaw chucks.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 09:21:37 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I have a steady rest for a lathe that is at least 14" based on its
height about the ways..that has a 4" hole in the middle.

Rather fascinating actually.

--
""Almost all liberal behavioral tropes track the impotent rage of small
children. Thus, for example, there is also the popular tactic of
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-07-01, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 09:21:37 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In article , Pete Keillor
wrote:

[ ... ]

Given the small hole diameter and beefy construction, I'd guess it was
for a lathe that usually used collets, versus 3-jaw chucks.

Joe Gwinn

I have a steady rest for a lathe that is at least 14" based on its
height about the ways..that has a 4" hole in the middle.

Considering that the typical size for a 3-jaw chuck is half the
swing (a 4-jaw is typically a bit larger), and the grip with the
standard jaws is about half the diameter of the chuck before the back
end of the jaws extends too far from the chuck, that might be about
right for the grip of standard jaws on a 3-jaw chuck.

And -- you aren't going to be turning something 14" diameter
over the carriage/cross-slide on a 14" lathe, so this is probably pretty
reasonable.

Rather fascinating actually.

Oh -- my Clausing 5814 (12" swing) seems to be pretty close to
90 degrees on its V-ways.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564