Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default What kind of lathe has V-flat ways rails with 80 degree V angle? - Photo

In article , Pete Keillor
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 21:42:50 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

In "What kind of lathe has V-flat ways rails with 80 degree V angle?"
posted on 14 June 2013 to RCM, I asked if anybody could identify a
steady rest with 80-degree included angle Vee-flat ways. I now have a
photo and description posted on the metalworking dropbox. (The owner
doesn't want the real URL published, to keep spam down.)

Google on Mystery_Steady_Rest.

The filenames are "Mystery_Steady_Rest.txt" and ~.jpg.

Joe Gwinn

Nice looking rest. Two things, fairly narrow ways for the center
height, and maximum diameter it can handle pretty small for the lathe.
Was it meant for the tailstock ways? Did some lathe makes offer more
than one size steady rest?

I have no idea what the original intent was, but is does fit the
tailstock ways of a Clausing 5900 lathe reasonably well.

I've never heard of a lathe having two sizes of steady rest.

Given the small hole diameter and beefy construction, I'd guess it was
for a lathe that usually used collets, versus 3-jaw chucks.

Joe Gwinn