Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 15 degree wrench jaw angle?

We make (LASER cut) a simple wrench for a client. I have no idea why
he doesn't buy something off the rack. It's about 10" long with 1-1/4"
opening for the nut or bolt and the opening is parallel to the handle.
Most modern wrenches I see have the opening at a 15° angle, which
seems to hive you more options for grabbing the hex or whatever.

Anyone have an idea of when the 15° was introduced? I've seen old
double ended wrenches with an S shaped handle that seemed to be going
in that direction.

David
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 4, 9:09*pm, "David R.Birch" wrote:
We make (LASER cut) a simple wrench for a client. I have no idea why
he doesn't buy something off the rack. It's about 10" long with 1-1/4"
opening for the nut or bolt and the opening is parallel to the handle.
Most modern wrenches I see have the opening at a 15° angle, which
seems to hive you more options for grabbing the hex or whatever.

Anyone have an idea of when the 15° was introduced? I've seen old
double ended wrenches with an S shaped handle that seemed to be going
in that direction.

David

Probably in the dark mists of time.
15 degrees gives you 30 degrees when flipped over to avoid an
obstruction, where straight jaws offer none.

ww
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 4, 9:09*pm, "David R.Birch" wrote:
We make (LASER cut) a simple wrench for a client. I have no idea why
he doesn't buy something off the rack. It's about 10" long with 1-1/4"
opening for the nut or bolt and the opening is parallel to the handle.
Most modern wrenches I see have the opening at a 15° angle, which
seems to hive you more options for grabbing the hex or whatever.

Anyone have an idea of when the 15° was introduced? I've seen old
double ended wrenches with an S shaped handle that seemed to be going
in that direction.

David

Google’s patent search shows “wrench” patents going back to 1783.
Just skimming those or “wrench + angle” doesn’t show any clear
answer. Peterson adjustable wrench patent in 1915 (US1133236)
mentions the advantage of having the opening of his wrench at an angle
to the handle to improve the sweep of turning the nut, but doesn’t
specify this angle specifically. He mentions both hex and square nuts
in his patent. Maybe it’s simply that 15 degrees is a common
coefficient for both the 60 and 90 degree faces found on nuts.
Interestingly, there’s a patent for a ratchet wrench in 1796
(US546672).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On May 4, 8:09*pm, "David R.Birch" wrote:
We make (LASER cut) a simple wrench for a client. I have no idea why
he doesn't buy something off the rack. It's about 10" long with 1-1/4"
opening for the nut or bolt and the opening is parallel to the handle.
Most modern wrenches I see have the opening at a 15° angle, which
seems to hive you more options for grabbing the hex or whatever.

Anyone have an idea of when the 15° was introduced? I've seen old
double ended wrenches with an S shaped handle that seemed to be going
in that direction.

David

Probably about the time that screw machines started turning out hex
nuts instead of guys making square ones one at a time via anvil, vise
and tap. I've got some old wrenches out of car tool kits from
granddaddy's collection of Stuff, some are straight in-line with
handle, some have the opening at 90 degrees. A couple have both, same
size opening on both ends. I have some of the S sort, I think those
were intended for proto-obstruction-type use, like bolt heads in a
circle. Or maybe getting starters out. Box-end wrenches seem to have
come into use somewhere in the '30s, I've seen some ads for "Box-
socket" wrenches in some really old PSMs. The oldest open-ends I have
that have 15 degree ends are Williams brand. Odd 32d sizes, too. For
Whitworth heads maybe?

Stan