Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Laminated wood with embedded wire mesh

I have some very strange pieces in one box. They are the size of 4x4s,
I would say 4x4x8, made of very heavy laminated wood with some kind of
wire mess embedded between laminations. Any idea what that stuff is or
may be for?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/25/2013 12:22 PM, Ignoramus29604 wrote:
I have some very strange pieces in one box. They are the size of 4x4s,
I would say 4x4x8, made of very heavy laminated wood with some kind of
wire mess embedded between laminations. Any idea what that stuff is or
may be for?

Wire mesh or gang nails? Gang nails are sheet galvanized steel that has
sharpened tabs pressed out on both sides. Perhaps 1/2 inch long. They
are applied between the laminations in place of gluing the laminates
together.

Does that seem like what you have?

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-25, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 6/25/2013 12:22 PM, Ignoramus29604 wrote:
I have some very strange pieces in one box. They are the size of 4x4s,
I would say 4x4x8, made of very heavy laminated wood with some kind of
wire mess embedded between laminations. Any idea what that stuff is or
may be for?

Wire mesh or gang nails? Gang nails are sheet galvanized steel that has
sharpened tabs pressed out on both sides. Perhaps 1/2 inch long. They
are applied between the laminations in place of gluing the laminates
together.

Does that seem like what you have?

No, the wood is laminated, laminations are 1/8 inch thick or so, and
between laminations there is wire mesh at each layer, the whole pie is
4 inches thick.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-25, Paul Drahn wrote:
On 6/25/2013 12:22 PM, Ignoramus29604 wrote:
I have some very strange pieces in one box. They are the size of 4x4s,
I would say 4x4x8, made of very heavy laminated wood with some kind of
wire mess embedded between laminations. Any idea what that stuff is or
may be for?

Wire mesh or gang nails? Gang nails are sheet galvanized steel that has
sharpened tabs pressed out on both sides. Perhaps 1/2 inch long. They
are applied between the laminations in place of gluing the laminates
together.

Does that seem like what you have?

No, the wood is laminated, laminations are 1/8 inch thick or so, and
between laminations there is wire mesh at each layer, the whole pie is 4
inches thick.

Weird. If the warp of the mesh runs parallel to the grain of the wood it
would lend considerable strength to the beam, but it seems an odd way to
make a metal/wood composite.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2013-06-25, Paul wrote:
On 6/25/2013 12:22 PM, Ignoramus29604 wrote:
I have some very strange pieces in one box. They are the size of 4x4s,
I would say 4x4x8, made of very heavy laminated wood with some kind of
wire mess embedded between laminations. Any idea what that stuff is or
may be for?

Wire mesh or gang nails? Gang nails are sheet galvanized steel that has
sharpened tabs pressed out on both sides. Perhaps 1/2 inch long. They
are applied between the laminations in place of gluing the laminates
together.

Does that seem like what you have?

No, the wood is laminated, laminations are 1/8 inch thick or so, and
between laminations there is wire mesh at each layer, the whole pie is
4 inches thick.

Can't say otomh, certainly...picture might help as, perhaps, would some
hints as to where the samples were obtained as might give a klew as to
usage domain, anyway...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
PCS PCS is offline

On Tuesday, June 25, 2013 3:22:17 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus29604 wrote:
I have some very strange pieces in one box. They are the size of 4x4s,

I would say 4x4x8, made of very heavy laminated wood with some kind of

wire mess embedded between laminations. Any idea what that stuff is or

may be for?

Could they be wall studs for a Faraday Cage room such as in an MRI installation, or a Top Secret computer room?

I had to pierce a Faraday Cage wall with some coax at the Army's ballistic missile defense computer room in Huntsville AL once. Not a fun thing. Was part of installing a new Cray Y-MP to replace a CDC 7600.

--
PaulS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/25/2013 4:50 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
Weird. If the warp of the mesh runs parallel to the grain of the wood it
would lend considerable strength to the beam, but it seems an odd way to
make a metal/wood composite.

Indeed. And if it were to be used as a beam, it would more likely have
a thin-rectangle cross section. A 4 x 4 is much more likely to be used
as a post and reinforcing wouldn't help much/at-all with compressive
strength.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Only thing I can think of right now is that the mesh is supposed to keep fragments from flying in case of catastrophic failure. Like maybe structures hit with tornado or hurricane-force winds. It WOULD help to know where the stuff came from. Would make hellacious roofing beams.

Faraday cage idea is out, the mesh would have to be grounded or bonded to other bits, not embedded in wood.

Stan

Calculating surface of wire mesh Goran Metalworking 10 June 24th 13 02:28 PM
Mesh Wire Pravin kumar Metalworking 0 June 13th 13 11:21 AM
Supplier of wire mesh? NoSpam UK diy 6 January 15th 07 02:07 PM
Do I need to redo the wire mesh or rebar? miamicuse Home Repair 9 September 3rd 05 04:13 PM
why put wire mesh in mud shower pan? peter Home Repair 4 February 13th 05 06:17 AM