Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Calculating surface of wire mesh

Hi to all.

Can someone explain me how to calculate the surface of 10x10cm -- 1mm
thick wire mesh. Its something like this :

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/312..._Screen_02.jpg

The space between wires is 5 x 7 mm.

Thank you in advance
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 4:40:28 AM UTC-4, Goran wrote:
Hi to all.

Can someone explain me how to calculate the surface of 10x10cm -- 1mm

thick wire mesh.

Two ways: you can approximate it as a wire grid, use known formula
for area of 1mm cylinder with height = length of wire. The 'length'
will ignore the fact that the wire grid is not straight wire but slightly
bent.

Or, you can use a scale to weigh the grid, and the known formula
for volume of a length of 1mm wire, and density of the metal
(copper = 8.9 gm/cm^3) to get the length. Then use the
formula for area of a cylinder.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Goran
wrote:

Hi to all.

Can someone explain me how to calculate the surface of 10x10cm -- 1mm
thick wire mesh. Its something like this :

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/312..._Screen_02.jpg

The space between wires is 5 x 7 mm.

Thank you in advance

How accurate does it have to be? Why do you need to know?

Anyway, the usual method is to approximate the mesh as having been
woven from round wire of the same circumference as the average cross
section between crossover points, and do the obvious math. Or, one can
assume wire of rectangular cross-section. The wires being on diagonals
makes the math messy (lengths vary with position), but still not that
hard.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/23/2013 3:40 AM, Goran wrote:
Hi to all.

Can someone explain me how to calculate the surface of 10x10cm -- 1mm
thick wire mesh. Its something like this :

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/312..._Screen_02.jpg

The space between wires is 5 x 7 mm.

Thank you in advance

Perhaps manufacturer may have detailed spec's.

Otherwise, probably easiest to estimate from weight/unit area and the
open area percentage that is generally available. To first
approximation that and the individual strand diameter should get
reasonably close.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/23/2013 4:40 AM, Goran wrote:
Hi to all.

Can someone explain me how to calculate the surface of 10x10cm -- 1mm
thick wire mesh. Its something like this :

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/312..._Screen_02.jpg

The space between wires is 5 x 7 mm.

Thank you in advance

First: I think that the linked screen is expanded metal, if it makes a
difference. See this zoomed-in pic:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...esh_Screen.jpg

The angled blue lines show what I think is the cut line. Notice at the
intersection how the zig-zag vertical element is/seems-to-be continuous.

As far as calculating the surface, I would take the X-shape in the
rectangle, whose size is 5 x 7 (?). The surface area is then the area
of the 2 cylinders that are the diagonals (diameter 1mm).

Then there are 100/5 x 100/7 of these rectangles.

But if it is expanded metal, then those aren't wires/cylinders and it's
a whole other ball game. Unless assuming wire is close enough.

HTH,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/23/2013 2:23 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

But if it is expanded metal, then those aren't wires/cylinders and it's
a whole other ball game....

If it is expanded metal, the sheet stock was probably 1mm thick and it
was probably "cut" at 1mm intervals, making the "wires" 1mm x 1mm
square. Even easier than actual round wire.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 10:40:28 +0200, Goran
wrote:

Hi to all.

Can someone explain me how to calculate the surface of 10x10cm -- 1mm
thick wire mesh. Its something like this :

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/312..._Screen_02.jpg

A picture? That's a definite plus.

The space between wires is 5 x 7 mm.

What's the thickness of the stock and the width of each expanded wire?
Is it copper, or is it steel with copper (paint?) flashed over the
top?

Thank you in advance

That's expanded metal. What are you trying to calculate for?
Electrical properties (like resistance or current carrying ability),
wind resistance, strength, or what?

Key Ironic Question: Why do people who post questions like these
_invariably_ leave out 99% of the key data which would help others
help them? sigh Now there will be 99 questions, many duplicates,
to find the other data...OR, the thread might never end. It's one of
those. giggle

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06/23/2013 11:40 AM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 6/23/2013 2:23 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

But if it is expanded metal, then those aren't wires/cylinders and it's
a whole other ball game....

If it is expanded metal, the sheet stock was probably 1mm thick and it
was probably "cut" at 1mm intervals, making the "wires" 1mm x 1mm
square. Even easier than actual round wire.

I made a fish out of hammered brass sheet and wrapped it in expanded
metal. It looked like scales.

It was a red snapper.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06/23/2013 01:47 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
Key Ironic Question: Why do people who post questions like these
_invariably_ leave out 99% of the key data which would help others
help them? sigh Now there will be 99 questions, many duplicates,
to find the other data...OR, the thread might never end. It's one of
those. giggle

I think he wants the wetted area of a fish.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 06/23/2013 08:40 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
On 6/23/2013 2:23 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

But if it is expanded metal, then those aren't wires/cylinders and it's
a whole other ball game....

If it is expanded metal, the sheet stock was probably 1mm thick and it
was probably "cut" at 1mm intervals, making the "wires" 1mm x 1mm
square. Even easier than actual round wire.

Bob

-----------------
It is expanded copper metal that i have to replace with copper mesh wire
of 1mm thickness. The surface is important because of the size and
density. I have to replace this expanded mesh with something that will
look like woven copper mesh.

If the wire is 1mm thick, one meter of this wire would have 31.4 cm2.

This woven copper mesh should have at least 4 times the surface of this
expanded metal and when this is defined, copper mesh will be set in
production. Final product will be 1x1 meter sheet that will be cut into
10x10 squares and used and shielding.

Because this is custom made i can not buy woven copper mesh, i have to
created it. This is also no problem.

The only thing that i have to sent to the factory is the surface, length
of the wire and thickness of holes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/24/2013 2:31 AM, Goran wrote:

If the wire is 1mm thick, one meter of this wire would have 31.4 cm2.

This woven copper mesh should have at least 4 times the surface of this
expanded metal and when this is defined, copper mesh will be set in
production. Final product will be 1x1 meter sheet that will be cut into
10x10 squares and used and shielding.

"woven copper mesh should have at least 4 times the surface of this
expanded metal"

What does the above, mean, precisely? It seems that you're mixing up
the projected area the mesh covers w/ the surface area of the wire.

The normal way it would be specified would be either the size of the
openings or mesh (as in number of threads/unit distance) or as the
fractional open area.

I can't really tell what you're trying to spec, precisely.

The only thing that i have to sent to the factory is the surface, length
of the wire and thickness of holes.

Any chance you can post the factory request for spec's for reading their
specifications directly?

Mesh Wire Pravin kumar Metalworking 0 June 13th 13 11:21 AM
Copper or brass wire mesh N Cook Electronics Repair 14 August 1st 07 08:23 PM
Supplier of wire mesh? NoSpam UK diy 6 January 15th 07 02:07 PM
Resistance wire - calculating input suryah Electronics 3 February 22nd 05 01:08 PM
why put wire mesh in mud shower pan? peter Home Repair 4 February 13th 05 06:17 AM