peter

Default why put wire mesh in mud shower pan?

Some DIY sources suggest embedding a wire mesh in the mortar bed shower pan.
What is the purpose??

Here is one example:
http://www.leakyshower.com/ARTICLE%2...r%20Floors.htm

Matt

To get to the other side?

HerHusband

Peter,

Some DIY sources suggest embedding a wire mesh in the mortar bed
shower pan. What is the purpose??

I believe it's reinforcement to help keep the mortar bed from cracking. If
it does crack, the wire holds everything together.

I built a large 6'x6' curbless shower. I could not find the recommended
wire lath locally, so I used galvanized 1/4" hardware cloth. It worked
fine.

The wire mesh goes over a layer of plastic. This partially protects the
subfloor below from the moisture of the mud bed and may act as a bit of an
isolation membrane. More importantly, it keeps the plywood subfloor from
"sucking" the moisture out of the mud bed before it can set up properly.

I used a waterproofing membrane called "Schulter Kerdi" and their
proprietary drain system. Unlike the vinyl liner method, this keeps the
water out of the mud bed in the first place instead of trying to deal with
water that seeps through the mud. It also means you only need to make a
single mud bed instead of two. It's a great system, and I highly recommend
it.

You can find a lot of examples and helpful advice on the John Bridge tiling
forums at www.johnbridge.com.

Take care,

Anthony
Steve Manes

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:33:27 GMT, "peter" wrote:

Some DIY sources suggest embedding a wire mesh in the mortar bed shower pan.
What is the purpose??

It works like rebar in a concrete slab. Mortar has excellent
compression strength but very little sheer or expansion strength. The
mesh counteracts this.
Steve Manes, Brooklyn, USA
www.magpie.com

reconstruction of shower stall and bathroom floor Spoon2001 Home Repair 2 March 12th 04 02:13 AM
automotive wire size calculator CampinGazz Electronics 1 January 5th 04 07:02 PM
240 volt wiring Charles Home Repair 11 December 30th 03 11:13 PM
replacing old non-grounded (2 prong) electric receptacles David Jensen Home Repair 27 August 26th 03 12:14 AM
fence installation tips needed (3-rail post & rail and wire mesh) Bring out the Gimp Home Repair 1 June 25th 03 12:47 AM