Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default What's just slightly smaller OD than 1/8" NPT thread????

On 6/20/2013 4:32 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Put plastic film under the carb. Once the silicone hardens carve it to
shape. I've done that with epoxy but it's tricky to time the range
where it holds its form but is still soft enough to whittle. That job
gave me a bad opinion of the rapid-prototype plastic I was repairing.
jsw

That sounds like exercise in futility compared to fixing the threading
problem...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message
On 6/20/2013 4:32 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Put plastic film under the carb. Once the silicone hardens carve it
shape. I've done that with epoxy but it's tricky to time the range
where it holds its form but is still soft enough to whittle. That
job
gave me a bad opinion of the rapid-prototype plastic I was
repairing.
jsw

That sounds like exercise in futility compared to fixing the
threading problem...

It's an option, depending on your skills. I hammer the wrinkles out of
storm-damaged corrugated galvy roofing on my sheds.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/21/2013 6:14 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

It's an option, depending on your skills. I hammer the wrinkles out of
storm-damaged corrugated galvy roofing on my sheds.

Don't see what that has to do w/ the price of tea in China, but here
that would be nearly a full-time job...ain't happenin', either...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"dpb" wrote in message
On 6/21/2013 6:14 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

It's an option, depending on your skills. I hammer the wrinkles out
of
storm-damaged corrugated galvy roofing on my sheds.

Don't see what that has to do w/ the price of tea in China, ...

Straightening a gas tank.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/21/2013 9:27 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
wrote in message
On 6/21/2013 6:14 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

It's an option, depending on your skills. I hammer the wrinkles out
of
storm-damaged corrugated galvy roofing on my sheds.

Don't see what that has to do w/ the price of tea in China, ...

Straightening a gas tank.

Yeah, and I'm sure you can do the roof panel so a carb metering plate'll
sit on it and function w/ a hammer and by eye, too...

Get off it...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/17/2013 3:26 PM, dpb wrote:
Got a what mic's at just under 3/8" 0D 0.374 or so Al tube w/ a threaded
end. ...[big snip]...

A search so far hasn't turned up any likely candidates; anybody here got
any ideas?

Well, just heard back from Mr Briggs and his cohort Stratton--according
to them,

The drawing that I have of the part shows the thread specs as 3/8"-32
UNEF-2A.
Sincerely,
...[name elided]...
Briggs & Stratton Answer Center

Haven't done any looking yet, but that's what they say 'tis...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 15:43:46 -0500
dpb wrote:

snip
The problem w/ this one is that it's leaking past the
diaphragm gasket where it's not supposed to be because the top of the
tank warped (into which is also formed the base of the carb as you're
aware). You can manage to adjust it so it will run at full throttle but
can't throttle down at all or it just floods out. Trying to flatten on
diamond plate wasn't all that successful.

It seemed/seems really weird that it did that after some 30 yr being
stored the same way in the same place all those years. It was working
perfectly the last time in the previous fall and had the full-blown
symptom first start the next spring.

snip

Any chance you had some moisture/water trapped in there when you were
done last fall? Mr Frost would have his way with it... Mine spends its
off time in an unheated garage where it gets plenty hot and cold at
times.

Know what you mean about all the goings on (holes, channels, what-not)
on top of the gas tank where the carb is mounted. I like Jim's idea
with the silicone and plastic. I'll have to remember that one. Probably
will remember it too. Things like that STICK. The name of the neighbor
down the road that moved it a couple years ago is gone within
seconds... I can tell you who lived there when I was a kid though

As to the 3.5 hp, Briggs purposely limited these motors that have the
mower blade directly mounted to the crank to only 3000 rpm. So they no
longer get 3.5 hp, only 3.0 hp. At least that is what they claim in
their manual.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013 15:53:39 -0400
BQ340 wrote:

snip
RTV silicone will not hold up to gasoline very long.

I have just filed the tank tops flat again, that is what the service
manual recommends.

MikeB

Yes, your absolutely right. I found that out the hard way ~30 years
ago while mounting a two barrel carburetor. It worked pretty good for
awhile though ;-)

I was more enamoured with the idea/method rather than the application
and substances involved. If I recall correctly though I believe there
are some RTV like products that do hold up to gasoline nowadays. Too
lazy to go look right now and I really don't need it myself...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leon Fisk" wrote in message

I was more enamoured with the idea/method rather than the
application
and substances involved. If I recall correctly though I believe
there
are some RTV like products that do hold up to gasoline nowadays. Too
lazy to go look right now and I really don't need it myself...

--
Leon Fisk

I successfully fixed a hole in a Husqvarna chainsaw oil tank with
Permatex Gas Tank & Radiator repair, which is a thick and stiff
two-part epoxy not much softer than unchewed taffy. It held its shape
in the hole without any support.

I didn't try carving it after it hardened. Normal epoxy is very
difficult to carve after it hardens, worse than Bondo, which is why I
suggested a silicone.

I've had good luck with this:
http://www.amazon.com/Hondabond-High.../dp/B006YTTV4W
One tube should outlast the vehicle even if a little is diverted
elsewhere.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:

[...]

I suppose anything's possible altho extra moisture in this climate is
pretty rare so I'd think it unlikely...but is a scenario hadn't thought
of before.

We worked on the tank top a fair amount as well as the base but no real
joy...I found the replacement kit for $35 so since there's more stuff to
do that is on the paying scale of actual farm work I'll wait 'til it
doesn't do the job to worry about the old one any more.

BTW, on the thread -- the largest machine shop in town hasn't any UNEF
taps and a call around to a couple of the other raised the "what's
that?" question that I figured it would...so, we'll see what I can do
when the replacement tube arrives.

I know at some point they instituted lower blade tip speed limits but
unless the decal is wrong, this one says 3.5 hp. What the actual rpm
is, I've no idea...