Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bought two miiltary trucks

M927 5 ton truck with 20 foot bed in Indianapolis
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6298764

1991 BMY M931A2 6x6 semi tractor in Sparta, WI
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6292728

We will be picking up both ourselves.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus305 wrote:

M927 5 ton truck with 20 foot bed in Indianapolis
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6298764

1991 BMY M931A2 6x6 semi tractor in Sparta, WI
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6292728

We will be picking up both ourselves.

Too bad I'm poor, I'd love to have the 6x6 semi to convert into a camper

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-31, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus305 wrote:

M927 5 ton truck with 20 foot bed in Indianapolis
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6298764

1991 BMY M931A2 6x6 semi tractor in Sparta, WI
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6292728

We will be picking up both ourselves.

Too bad I'm poor, I'd love to have the 6x6 semi to convert into a camper

Semis went pretty cheap today, at $3,000 or so

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-31, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus305 wrote:
M927 5 ton truck with 20 foot bed in Indianapolis
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6298764

1991 BMY M931A2 6x6 semi tractor in Sparta, WI
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6292728

We will be picking up both ourselves.

Too bad I'm poor, I'd love to have the 6x6 semi to convert into a camper

Semis went pretty cheap today, at $3,000 or so

If the hours and miles on that 5 ton are correct, you stole it. That
thing would make a great base for a fire dept brush truck.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/31/2013 6:09 AM, Steve W. wrote:

If the hours and miles on that 5 ton are correct, you stole it. That
thing would make a great base for a fire dept brush truck.

I'm sure they're right for that instrument cluster; now when it was
replaced in that truck is another question...

There's a lot of cosmetic rust showing so the vehicle has been around a
while. Now it may have been a Reserve unit vehicle so wasn't doing
anything but sitting around, so may in fact be almost unused. If so,
it'd be interesting to estimate the cost/mile to taxpayer...what do you
suppose initial acquisition cost is for one of these puppies???

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-31, Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus305 wrote:
M927 5 ton truck with 20 foot bed in Indianapolis
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6298764

1991 BMY M931A2 6x6 semi tractor in Sparta, WI
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6292728

We will be picking up both ourselves.

Too bad I'm poor, I'd love to have the 6x6 semi to convert into a camper

Semis went pretty cheap today, at $3,000 or so

If the hours and miles on that 5 ton are correct, you stole it. That
thing would make a great base for a fire dept brush truck.

I will let you know how it turns out...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-31, dpb wrote:
On 5/31/2013 6:09 AM, Steve W. wrote:

If the hours and miles on that 5 ton are correct, you stole it. That
thing would make a great base for a fire dept brush truck.

I'm sure they're right for that instrument cluster; now when it was
replaced in that truck is another question...

There's a lot of cosmetic rust showing so the vehicle has been around a
while. Now it may have been a Reserve unit vehicle so wasn't doing
anything but sitting around, so may in fact be almost unused. If so,
it'd be interesting to estimate the cost/mile to taxpayer...what do you
suppose initial acquisition cost is for one of these puppies???

I am sure that it was rebuilt,.

Do not get too stuck on the cost per mile. These trucks were kept
around in case a large scale war breaks out. Be glad that it did not
break out, but if it did, the trucks would have been useful. And it is
possible that it did not break out because the US was ready for a
large scale war.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 2013-05-31, wrote:
On 5/31/2013 6:09 AM, Steve W. wrote:

If the hours and miles on that 5 ton are correct, you stole it. That
thing would make a great base for a fire dept brush truck.

I'm sure they're right for that instrument cluster; now when it was
replaced in that truck is another question...

There's a lot of cosmetic rust showing so the vehicle has been around a
while. Now it may have been a Reserve unit vehicle so wasn't doing
anything but sitting around, so may in fact be almost unused. If so,
it'd be interesting to estimate the cost/mile to taxpayer...what do you
suppose initial acquisition cost is for one of these puppies???

I am sure that it was rebuilt,.

Did you see it beforehand or just take a flier online? I spent about
that much on a manlift eBay auction sight unseen on word or the broker
and that it had to have a current OSHA certification to be transferred
as other than salvage...that was almost 10 yr ago and it's had some
needed repair but has well repaid the investment in the barn re-roofing,
repainting house (2story frame farmhouse) and other uses around the
place including as mundane as trimming trees and as oddball as setting
up a new tv antenna on the pole w/o taking it down and the weather
station given by son as Christmas one year...

Do not get too stuck on the cost per mile. These trucks were kept
around in case a large scale war breaks out. Be glad that it did not
break out, but if it did, the trucks would have been useful. And it is
possible that it did not break out because the US was ready for a
large scale war.

Not upset but it is interesting to consider how much money goes so many
places....whether it was or wasn't worth the expenditure is impossible
to determine, specifically.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 30 May 2013 20:26:32 -0500, Ignoramus305
wrote:

M927 5 ton truck with 20 foot bed in Indianapolis
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6298764

1991 BMY M931A2 6x6 semi tractor in Sparta, WI
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6292728

We will be picking up both ourselves.

Gonna have fun with both in city traffic. Not that they arent
nimble..but the onlookers and other drivers will be jaw dropped and
confused.

Nice!!

--
"You guess the truth hurts?

Really?

"Hurt" aint the word.

For Liberals, the truth is like salt to a slug.
Sunlight to a vampire.
Raid® to a cockroach.
Sheriff Brody to a shark
Bush to a Liberal

The truth doesn't just hurt. It's painful, like a red hot poker shoved
up their ass. Like sliding down a hundred foot razor blade using their
dick as a brake.

They HATE the truth."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

We see a number of the first one - desert camo moving on various
carriers. I figure some of the farms and ranches are picking some.

The local guard is into Tanks and Cannons. Heavy toys.

Wonder what tires cost for these!
(maybe buy a truck for the tires and keep it for parts)...
Martin

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Jun 2013 23:03:06 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

We see a number of the first one - desert camo moving on various
carriers. I figure some of the farms and ranches are picking some.

The local guard is into Tanks and Cannons. Heavy toys.

Wonder what tires cost for these!
(maybe buy a truck for the tires and keep it for parts)...
Martin

Im sure Iggy can find tire auctions as well...or when he picks em
up..have a $100 bill in his pocket and tell the maint guys he would
sure love some tires in case he gets a flat or 6. Might be able to
drive out the gate with a load of good rubber he could put up till he
needs em.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gonna have fun with both in city traffic. Not that they arent
nimble..but the onlookers and other drivers will be jaw dropped and
confused.

Nice!!

I drove one of these around Germany.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5006/...2aa9539674.jpg

It was my least favorite vehicle in city traffic and no fun at all on
the Autobahn, though it was actually a bit faster than my ancient VW.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

M927 5 ton truck with 20 foot bed in Indianapolis
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6298764

1991 BMY M931A2 6x6 semi tractor in Sparta, WI
http://www.govliquidation.com/auctio...tionId=6292728

We will be picking up both ourselves.

Gonna have fun with both in city traffic. Not that they arent
nimble..but the onlookers and other drivers will be jaw dropped and
confused.

Nice!!

I was just hoping, to use the M931A2 as a semi tractor, for city use
and not line hauling.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gonna have fun with both in city traffic. Not that they arent
nimble..but the onlookers and other drivers will be jaw dropped and
confused.

Nice!!

I drove one of these around Germany.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5006/...2aa9539674.jpg

It was my least favorite vehicle in city traffic and no fun at all on
the Autobahn, though it was actually a bit faster than my ancient VW.

Why was it the least favorite vehicle in the city? Was it just because
it was a large van truck? Or was there a specific reason, something
bad about that kind of truck in particular?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 07:38:00 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Gonna have fun with both in city traffic. Not that they arent
nimble..but the onlookers and other drivers will be jaw dropped and
confused.

Nice!!

I drove one of these around Germany.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5006/...2aa9539674.jpg

It was my least favorite vehicle in city traffic and no fun at all on
the Autobahn, though it was actually a bit faster than my ancient VW.

Isn't that a Deuce? Gotcher kidney belt on?

--
They must find it difficult,
those who have taken authority as truth,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 6/2/2013 8:08 AM, Ignoramus4028 wrote:

Why was it the least favorite vehicle in the city? Was it just because
it was a large van truck? Or was there a specific reason, something
bad about that kind of truck in particular?

We had one adapted for feedtruck and local electric co-op had one w/
pole boom on it (many) years ago...I'd venture the "why" is that they're
bad for vision, turning radius is terrible, brakes are nothing to brag
about and they just generally were not intended for anything other than
straightahead driving w/ the ability to handle hard terrain more
significant than ease of highway use.

They basically are just not anywhere nearly as maneuverable as a road
tractor. Not been in a newer of vintage more like what you got; perhaps
they've been made more "driver friendly" since but I'd not expect much
when it comes to handling in confined spaces...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gonna have fun with both in city traffic. Not that they arent
nimble..but the onlookers and other drivers will be jaw dropped and
confused.

Nice!!

I drove one of these around Germany.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5006/...2aa9539674.jpg

It was my least favorite vehicle in city traffic and no fun at all on
the Autobahn, though it was actually a bit faster than my ancient VW.
jsw

Used to run a WW2 vintage Dodge Power Wagon as a tow truck back in
the '60s and '70s. Lots of low end grunt, no speed to speek of, and
the heater only worked in the summer, and the AC in the winter. A
serious boneshker with chains on all 4 military standard tires, but it
would go through (almost) anything. I got it stuck in a snow drift and
it took 2 road graders and a highway plough (6X6) to get it out!!!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-06-02, dpb wrote:
On 6/2/2013 8:08 AM, Ignoramus4028 wrote:

Why was it the least favorite vehicle in the city? Was it just because
it was a large van truck? Or was there a specific reason, something
bad about that kind of truck in particular?

We had one adapted for feedtruck and local electric co-op had one w/
pole boom on it (many) years ago...I'd venture the "why" is that they're
bad for vision, turning radius is terrible, brakes are nothing to brag
about and they just generally were not intended for anything other than
straightahead driving w/ the ability to handle hard terrain more
significant than ease of highway use.

They basically are just not anywhere nearly as maneuverable as a road
tractor. Not been in a newer of vintage more like what you got; perhaps
they've been made more "driver friendly" since but I'd not expect much
when it comes to handling in confined spaces...

I know that M939 series trucks are a little friendlier.

1) They have an automatic transmission
2) Exhaust stack is behind the cab, not in front
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I drove one of these around Germany.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5006/...2aa9539674.jpg

It was my least favorite vehicle in city traffic and no fun at all
on
the Autobahn, though it was actually a bit faster than my ancient
VW.

Isn't that a Deuce? Gotcher kidney belt on?

Yes it is. The weight of the box and the heavy safe inside gave it a
slightly better ride than the unloaded stake-bed version. It wasn't
too bad on smooth, spacious modern roads but the unbombed parts of
cities had some cobblestone streets of medieval width.

It didn't help that I got the necessary truck endorsement on my
license without ever driving one, and I learned the hard way after
transferring to another post where my first assignment was to take a
truck back to pick up other troops, at night on foreign roads I'd only
seen once riding in, in the opposite direction.

Actually being sent out on some mission with no training or
preparation was typical of my whole Army experience from the first
day. I've never had to be as independently self-reliant before or
since. It seemed as if they wanted the college boy to fail. I bought a
VW and stocked it with maps, food and warm clothing so I wouldn't be
in trouble or excessively visible if I got lost, and could lock the
inconspicuous car and spend the night in a quaint, remote Gasthaus.

BMWs are very well matched to German road conditions, wide and clumsy
US Army trucks aren't.
jsw