Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bought two miiltary trucks

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Jun 2013 07:38:00 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

I drove one of these around Germany.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5006/...2aa9539674.jpg

It was my least favorite vehicle in city traffic and no fun at all
on
the Autobahn, though it was actually a bit faster than my ancient
VW.

Isn't that a Deuce? Gotcher kidney belt on?

Yes it is. The weight of the box and the heavy safe inside gave it a
slightly better ride than the unloaded stake-bed version. It wasn't
too bad on smooth, spacious modern roads but the unbombed parts of
cities had some cobblestone streets of medieval width.

It didn't help that I got the necessary truck endorsement on my
license without ever driving one, and I learned the hard way after
transferring to another post where my first assignment was to take a
truck back to pick up other troops, at night on foreign roads I'd only
seen once riding in, in the opposite direction.

Actually being sent out on some mission with no training or
preparation was typical of my whole Army experience from the first
day. I've never had to be as independently self-reliant before or
since. It seemed as if they wanted the college boy to fail. I bought a
VW and stocked it with maps, food and warm clothing so I wouldn't be
in trouble or excessively visible if I got lost, and could lock the
inconspicuous car and spend the night in a quaint, remote Gasthaus.

BMWs are very well matched to German road conditions, wide and clumsy
US Army trucks aren't.
jsw