Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chrome silicon steel for firearm recoil springs

I never heard of chrome-silicon steel, but ran across an article in
Defense Tech Briefs (page 10 of the April 2013 issue) talking about the
use of this steel in places where there wasn't enough space for a
spring made of carbon steel.

Nor had I ever heard of springs made of stranded wire.

http://www.defensetechbriefs.com/component/content/article/16197

Here is the same article without so many ads:

http://www.ctspring.com/press/2012/03/stranded-and-shaped-wire-springs

And not just for recoil:

http://www.ctspring.com/products/springs/magazine

Joe Gwinn - Apologizing for the on-topic content.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe Gwinn - Apologizing for the on-topic content.

SHAME on you, this is rec.politics.bull**** group

Stranded wire springs aren't new. My MG42 (German WWII weapon) uses
them.

karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Karl Townsend

Joe Gwinn - Apologizing for the on-topic content.

SHAME on you, this is rec.politics.bull**** group

Stranded wire springs aren't new. My MG42 (German WWII weapon) uses
them.

German? That figures. Well, they were new to me.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 26, 10:08*pm, Joe Gwinn wrote:
I never heard of chrome-silicon steel, but ran across an article in
Defense Tech Briefs (page 10 of the April 2013 issue) talking about the
use of this steel in places where there wasn't enough space for a
spring made of carbon steel.

Nor had I ever heard of springs made of stranded wire.

http://www.defensetechbriefs.com/component/content/article/16197

Here is the same article without so many ads:

http://www.ctspring.com/press/2012/03/stranded-and-shaped-wire-springs

And not just for recoil:

http://www.ctspring.com/products/springs/magazine

Joe Gwinn - Apologizing for the on-topic content.

Thanks, that was interesting. I'd never heard of "rocket wire" either.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 27, 1:15*pm, "Denis G." wrote:

Thanks, that was interesting. *I'd never heard of "rocket wire" either.

I spent a little time trying to find out exactly what rocket wire
is.. Was pretty much unsuccessful other than finding info on the TOW
missile.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 27, 2:28*pm, " wrote:

Thanks, that was interesting. *I'd never heard of "rocket wire" either.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
" wrote:

On Apr 27, 1:15*pm, "Denis G." wrote:

Thanks, that was interesting. *I'd never heard of "rocket wire" either.

I spent a little time trying to find out exactly what rocket wire
is.. Was pretty much unsuccessful other than finding info on the TOW
missile.

Actually, that may be exactly right. TOW missiles drag a very fine
steel wire behind them, over which comes control signals. I always
thought this would be music wire, but wasn't sure that music wire would
be strong enough. I suppose the quickest way to know is to call CSS
and ask.

Now days, a glass fiber is used instead of the wire, so there is enough
bandwidth to send a TV picture back, so the operator can stay at the
bottom of his foxhole while guiding the missile.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 13:32:35 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Apr 27, 2:28Â*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:15Â*pm, "Denis G." wrote:

Thanks, that was interesting. Â*I'd never heard of "rocket wire" either.

I spent a little time trying to find out exactly what rocket wire
is.. Â*Was pretty much unsuccessful other than finding info on the TOW
missile.

Dan

Dan, this is the best that I could find:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=45248

The recoil spring in my 1911..is composed of multi strands of wire.

Both are in fact.

They look like springs made from multistrand wire cable.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Apr 27, 2:28*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:15*pm, "Denis G." wrote:

Thanks, that was interesting. *I'd never heard of "rocket wire" either.

I spent a little time trying to find out exactly what rocket wire
is.. *Was pretty much unsuccessful other than finding info on the TOW
missile.

Dan

Dan, this is the best that I could find:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=45248

The recoil spring in my 1911..is composed of multi strands of wire.

Both are in fact.

They look like springs made from multistrand wire cable.

Gunner

Do you know if it's necessary to keep them oiled? I wonder if there's
friction between the strands.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Apr 27, 2:28Â*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:15Â*pm, "Denis G." wrote:

Thanks, that was interesting. Â*I'd never heard of "rocket wire" either.

I spent a little time trying to find out exactly what rocket wire
is.. Â*Was pretty much unsuccessful other than finding info on the TOW
missile.

Dan

Dan, this is the best that I could find:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=45248

The recoil spring in my 1911..is composed of multi strands of wire.

Both are in fact.

They look like springs made from multistrand wire cable.

Gunner

Do you know if it's necessary to keep them oiled? I wonder if there's
friction between the strands.

Ive always given them a bit of TriFlow. They havent seemed to have
lost any tension over the past 20+ yrs. I should pull em one of these
days and check em. They are supposed to be 18lb springs

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Apr 27, 2:28*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:15*pm, "Denis G." wrote:

[...]

Don't have a lot of experience with guns, but I understand that the
1911 has a pretty good reputation. I know that engineers look for
simplicity in design, but this spring must be an exception to the KISS
principle.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

That's some weird ****, Maynard. I'd never seen that before. Cool.

--
Stain and poly are their own punishment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Apr 27, 2:28Â*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:15Â*pm, "Denis G." wrote:

Thanks, that was interesting. Â*I'd never heard of "rocket wire" either.

I spent a little time trying to find out exactly what rocket wire
is.. Â*Was pretty much unsuccessful other than finding info on the TOW
missile.

Dan

Dan, this is the best that I could find:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=45248

The recoil spring in my 1911..is composed of multi strands of wire.

Both are in fact.

They look like springs made from multistrand wire cable.

Gunner

Do you know if it's necessary to keep them oiled? Â*I wonder if there's
friction between the strands.

Ive always given them a bit of TriFlow. They havent seemed to have
lost any tension over the past 20+ yrs. Â*I should pull em one of these
days and check em. Â*They are supposed to be 18lb springs

Gunner

Don't have a lot of experience with guns, but I understand that the
1911 has a pretty good reputation. I know that engineers look for
simplicity in design, but this spring must be an exception to the KISS
principle.

Well...Ive fired at least 100,000 rds with that spring in it..so
reliablity and durability seems to have been adressed quite nicely.

The original recoil spring should be changed at 2,000-3000 rds

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Denis G. wrote:
Dan, this is the best that I could find:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=45248

My metallurgy teacher swore up and down that the Tow missle wire was
simply-very-clean 1020 carbon steel. It was the material they found
that could be hard drawn to the strength needed. Can't remember the
details but seems like he visted(?) the factory where they draw the
wire out in Ohio and the length needed for the operation was long...
so the place was huge. LOL

It's -very- special stuff, its strength is about as high as steel
gets. ...or something like that? xD

Richard "Curley" Hastings metallurgist

Took his class for the fun of it and it -was- fun alright!

Alvin in AZ

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Apr 27, 2:28?pm, " wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:15?pm, "Denis G." wrote:

Thanks, that was interesting. ?I'd never heard of "rocket wire" either.

I spent a little time trying to find out exactly what rocket wire
is.. ?Was pretty much unsuccessful other than finding info on the TOW
missile.

Dan

Dan, this is the best that I could find:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=45248

The recoil spring in my 1911..is composed of multi strands of wire.

Both are in fact.

They look like springs made from multistrand wire cable.

Gunner

Do you know if it's necessary to keep them oiled? I wonder if there's
friction between the strands.

I give them a drop of oil. In Sigs, those springs "wear out" when the
center strand starts too far protrude from the strands that surround it.
If one strand breaks, the entire spring doesn't instantly and completely
fail.