Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chrome silicon steel for firearm recoil springs

On 2013-04-27, wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:15*pm, "Denis G." wrote:

Thanks, that was interesting. *I'd never heard of "rocket wire" either.

I spent a little time trying to find out exactly what rocket wire
is.. Was pretty much unsuccessful other than finding info on the TOW
missile.

Hmm ... the TOW had two spools of a very strong wire (at least
strong for electrical purposes). The spools are wound with the wire in
a pattern so they will pull off without the spools needing to rotate,
and the wire is held layer to layer with some kind of airplane cement
which peels off easily. Those wires go from the missile to the
launching tube to carry commands to fire small downward and sideward
facing rockets to bring it back on course and adjust for droop. (You
really don't want to be walking through a field where one has been fired
without good tough boots to keep your legs from being cut by the wire.

Whether this has any relation to the "rocket wire" which you
were trying to look up I don't know, but you now have what I know about
the wire as used in early examples of the TOW.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564