Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] alvinj@Example.com is offline

Default Chrome silicon steel for firearm recoil springs

Denis G. wrote:
Dan, this is the best that I could find:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=45248

My metallurgy teacher swore up and down that the Tow missle wire was
simply-very-clean 1020 carbon steel. It was the material they found
that could be hard drawn to the strength needed. Can't remember the
details but seems like he visted(?) the factory where they draw the
wire out in Ohio and the length needed for the operation was long...
so the place was huge. LOL

It's -very- special stuff, its strength is about as high as steel
gets. ...or something like that? xD

Richard "Curley" Hastings metallurgist

Took his class for the fun of it and it -was- fun alright!

Alvin in AZ