Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Chrome silicon steel for firearm recoil springs

Denis G. wrote:
On Apr 27, 4:17?pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2013 13:32:35 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."

wrote:
On Apr 27, 2:28?pm, " wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:15?pm, "Denis G." wrote:

Thanks, that was interesting. ?I'd never heard of "rocket wire" either.

I spent a little time trying to find out exactly what rocket wire
is.. ?Was pretty much unsuccessful other than finding info on the TOW
missile.

Dan

Dan, this is the best that I could find:
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=45248

The recoil spring in my 1911..is composed of multi strands of wire.

Both are in fact.

They look like springs made from multistrand wire cable.

Gunner

Do you know if it's necessary to keep them oiled? I wonder if there's
friction between the strands.

I give them a drop of oil. In Sigs, those springs "wear out" when the
center strand starts too far protrude from the strands that surround it.
If one strand breaks, the entire spring doesn't instantly and completely
fail.