Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The Extraordinary Science of Addictive Junk Food

On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:12:03 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:

Headed to 30 pounds of weight loss. Back doing the long walks.

Jon:

Walking doesn't burn a lot of calories. But it's certainly better than watching TV.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

For instance, a 180# guy walking 60 minutes at 3 mph will burn ~ 356 calories. So 3500 / 356 = 9.8 Hours of walking to burn 1# worth of fat.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The object of walking isn't burning calories. It is muscle tone,
circulation of the several systems in the body and use of the lungs.

It is a whole body experience and help.

The worst thing is to let your leg muscles go. Once shuffling starts,
you start to stumble and you end up with broken arm, hip, leg...
Sometimes a broken hip can be a killer. You are laid up for so long -
you migrate to a wheelchair. Then it is all over.

Have seen it over and over. The tough ones continue to walk with
one and two canes. But they keep moving. Might be 95 but he moves
and gets out and about.

Martin

On 4/4/2013 4:27 PM, BottleBob wrote:
On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 11:12:03 PM UTC-7, jon_banquer wrote:

Headed to 30 pounds of weight loss. Back doing the long walks.

Jon:

Walking doesn't burn a lot of calories. But it's certainly better than watching TV.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

For instance, a 180# guy walking 60 minutes at 3 mph will burn ~ 356 calories. So 3500 / 356 = 9.8 Hours of walking to burn 1# worth of fat.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, April 4, 2013 7:42:56 PM UTC-7, Martin Eastburn wrote:

The object of walking isn't burning calories. It is muscle tone,
circulation of the several systems in the body and use of the lungs.

It is a whole body experience and help.

The worst thing is to let your leg muscles go. Once shuffling starts,
you start to stumble and you end up with broken arm, hip, leg...
Sometimes a broken hip can be a killer. You are laid up for so long - you migrate to a wheelchair. Then it is all over.

Have seen it over and over. The tough ones continue to walk with
one and two canes. But they keep moving. Might be 95 but he moves
and gets out and about.

Martin

Martin:

Like most any complex human activity, different people may focus on, and be motivated by, various aspects of that activity.
I surmise that Jon (at just 51 and having voiced a desire to lose weight), would be more concerned with the calorie burning aspects of walking.

But I hear you about the old man shuffle. At my own age of 68, THAT particular facet strikes a resonate chord within me, as I don't EVER want to have to hobble along, or have to use a cane.
Said "shuffle" seems to be the result of a limited range of motion combined with balance issues.
I do stretching exercises where I bend over and touch my palms on the floor, plus twist around and try to look 180 degrees behind me.
I've also recently started eating apples by slicing pieces off of them over the sink while standing on one foot or the other. At first I could only stand on one foot about 1 slice's worth (about one minute), then after a week or so I could do it for about 4 slices worth. A small but definite improvement. LOL