Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can a Boehringer VDF hydraulic tracer lathe be used as a regularlathe

I won this at auction

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...-and-Lay/9.jpg

This is a Boehringer 19x46 hydraulic tracer lathe.

I have a feeling that the tracer system can be disconnected and it can
be converted to a manual lathe. Is that true?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus20953" wrote in message ...
I won this at auction

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...-and-Lay/9.jpg

This is a Boehringer 19x46 hydraulic tracer lathe.

I have a feeling that the tracer system can be disconnected and it can
be converted to a manual lathe. Is that true?

Not sure about that particular unit but yes every tracer lathe that I've ever run could also be operated as if it were an engine lathe and so unless the tracer is broken then there's no reason to remove it.

Tracers are very nice to have in that you can easily use a DNMG style insert tool and in a single chucking you can produce contours that include tapers, large radius fillets and so forth that would otherwise require use of cnc.

Biggest issue is safety; this class of machine was a mainstay shortly before cnc became prevalant and fully enclosed chip guarding came into normalcy--they are typically capable of very agressive metal removal rates when using carbide tooling which at high feedrates makes it difficult to accurately stop the carriage feed at the desired position etc when running without the tracer because the operator is already fairly well preoccupied ducking hot chips and trying to keep them from sticking to his forehead or falling down his shirt front if you catch my drift.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-14, Ignoramus20953 wrote:
I won this at auction

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...-and-Lay/9.jpg

This is a Boehringer 19x46 hydraulic tracer lathe.

I have a feeling that the tracer system can be disconnected and it can
be converted to a manual lathe. Is that true?

I have my doubts.

Do you have it home yet? If so -- look at what appears to be a
leadscrew, and see if it is threaded, or just a shaft with a keyway down
its length.

I don't see a quick-change gearbox on it.

It looks as though there is a cross-slide knob and a compound
knob, and a handwheel for the carriage, but I suspect that all require
hydraulic power to make the carriage move. (Well ... perhaps the
compound is manual. :-)

I don't even see anything which looks like gearshifts for the
spindle speed. (Unless those are knobs on what looks to me like a
hydraulic fluid tank.)

You might be able to get rough control by manipulating the
followers for the tracer mechanism -- but I would not bet on being able
to control it with any degree of accuracy that way.

Intersting that it has a 4-jaw chuck on the outboard end of the
spindle. A spider for stabilizing long workpieces? Or simply a storage
place for the chuck, and letting it act as a flywheel? :-)

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-14, Ignoramus20953 wrote:
I won this at auction

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...-and-Lay/9.jpg

This is a Boehringer 19x46 hydraulic tracer lathe.

I have a feeling that the tracer system can be disconnected and it can
be converted to a manual lathe. Is that true?

I have my doubts.

Do you have it home yet?

No

If so -- look at what appears to be a leadscrew, and see if it is
threaded, or just a shaft with a keyway down its length.

No leadscrew.

I don't see a quick-change gearbox on it.

I think that this lathe does not have any threading capabilities.

It looks as though there is a cross-slide knob and a compound
knob, and a handwheel for the carriage, but I suspect that all require
hydraulic power to make the carriage move. (Well ... perhaps the
compound is manual. :-)

No, I could operate at least the X handle to make the carriage move
left and right, to look at the ways. The ways are covered and need the
carriage to move significantly to open up the relevant areas. By the
way, there was no significant wear where I looked.

I don't even see anything which looks like gearshifts for the
spindle speed. (Unless those are knobs on what looks to me like a
hydraulic fluid tank.)

I think that it is a variable speed Reeves type mechanism. I will know
more soon.

You might be able to get rough control by manipulating the
followers for the tracer mechanism -- but I would not bet on being able
to control it with any degree of accuracy that way.

Yes, looks yucky.

Intersting that it has a 4-jaw chuck on the outboard end of the
spindle. A spider for stabilizing long workpieces? Or simply a storage
place for the chuck, and letting it act as a flywheel? :-)

It is definitely for long work pieces.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-15, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2012-12-14, Ignoramus20953
wrote:
[...]

It reminds me of whats called an oil field lathe. But i suspect it is a
tube end finishing machine, note the two chucks on the spindle which
is common for working on long tubes, pipes and rods. I bet it has a
spindle bore of 3" or bigger. Worth big $$$$$ to the right buyer.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-15, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2012-12-14, Ignoramus20953
wrote:
[...]

It has a 3" spindle bore. 71mm to be exact

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-15, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2012-12-14, Ignoramus20953
wrote:
[...]

I would advertise it as is before you strip it down for scrap.
Check the used machinery trade papers to get an idea of
its value.

Best Regards
Tom.
--
http://fija.org/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus20953 wrote:

I won this at auction

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...-and-Lay/9.jpg

This is a Boehringer 19x46 hydraulic tracer lathe.

I have a feeling that the tracer system can be disconnected and it can
be converted to a manual lathe. Is that true?

Just looking at the picture, it sure looks like it has all the normal
manual handles, so I would think so. You should be able to move
the toolpost by those handles when inspecting it. it may have
some apparatus like a telescopic taper attachment to sum in
the tracer movement to the crossfeed handle.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 17:41:45 -0600, Ignoramus20953
wrote:

I won this at auction

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...-and-Lay/9.jpg

This is a Boehringer 19x46 hydraulic tracer lathe.

I have a feeling that the tracer system can be disconnected and it can
be converted to a manual lathe. Is that true?

If it has handwheels on all axis..yes indeed.

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 15 Dec 2012 03:18:27 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2012-12-14, Ignoramus20953 wrote:
I won this at auction

[...]

Thats quite common with long work pieces. About 25% of the lathes I
service are used with long work, such as pipe.

Good Luck,
DoN.

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 20:47:51 -0800, "azotic"

m...

On 2012-12-15, DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2012-12-14, Ignoramus20953
wrote:
[...]

Indeed. The bigger spindle bores get more money.

Gunner, setting up a WS next week with a 9" spindle bore. Photos will
be posted.

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I won this at auction

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...-and-Lay/9.jpg

This is a Boehringer 19x46 hydraulic tracer lathe.

I have a feeling that the tracer system can be disconnected and it can
be converted to a manual lathe. Is that true?

If it has handwheels on all axis..yes indeed.

Yes, it does. It does not have a leadscrew for threading, though. But
whatever. I used my lathe a lot over the last few years, never needed
threading.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

By the way, sometimes material needs to be removed in successive
layers, how do hydraulic tracers manage that?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I won this at auction

http://igor.chudov.com/misc/ebay/tmp...-and-Lay/9.jpg

This is a Boehringer 19x46 hydraulic tracer lathe.

I have a feeling that the tracer system can be disconnected and it can
be converted to a manual lathe. Is that true?

If it has handwheels on all axis..yes indeed.

Yes, it does. It does not have a leadscrew for threading, though. But
whatever. I used my lathe a lot over the last few years, never needed
threading.

Threading can..can be accomplished with a die holder or head.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus12032 wrote:
By the way, sometimes material needs to be removed in successive
layers, how do hydraulic tracers manage that?

You just crank in the X axis screw the amount you want to take off for
each pass.
The chuck on the left looks like an air chuck. The tracer lathes are
sort of a obsolete item with the coming of CNC lathes. They still are
used in some applications but their sale value low. They are good for
repeat parts that have contours and tapers.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-12-16, John wrote:
Ignoramus12032 wrote:
By the way, sometimes material needs to be removed in successive
layers, how do hydraulic tracers manage that?

You just crank in the X axis screw the amount you want to take off for
each pass.
The chuck on the left looks like an air chuck. The tracer lathes are
sort of a obsolete item with the coming of CNC lathes. They still are
used in some applications but their sale value low. They are good for
repeat parts that have contours and tapers.

John

Yes. The question is, can it be used in manual mode.

And it seems the answer is yes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 16:23:38 -0800 typed

I don't even see anything which looks like gearshifts for the
spindle speed. (Unless those are knobs on what looks to me like a
hydraulic fluid tank.)

You might be able to get rough control by manipulating the
followers for the tracer mechanism -- but I would not bet on being able
to control it with any degree of accuracy that way.

Intersting that it has a 4-jaw chuck on the outboard end of the
spindle. A spider for stabilizing long workpieces? Or simply a storage
place for the chuck, and letting it act as a flywheel? :-)

Thats quite common with long work pieces. About 25% of the lathes I
service are used with long work, such as pipe.

I use to turn 35 foot SS forgings. 48" four jaw chuck. Two center
rests if I recall right. Tolerance was 0/+.250. Yep, fine tuned
with a hammer.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the