Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Can a Boehringer VDF hydraulic tracer lathe be used as a regular lathe

Gunner on Sat, 15 Dec 2012 16:23:38 -0800 typed

I don't even see anything which looks like gearshifts for the
spindle speed. (Unless those are knobs on what looks to me like a
hydraulic fluid tank.)

You might be able to get rough control by manipulating the
followers for the tracer mechanism -- but I would not bet on being able
to control it with any degree of accuracy that way.

Intersting that it has a 4-jaw chuck on the outboard end of the
spindle. A spider for stabilizing long workpieces? Or simply a storage
place for the chuck, and letting it act as a flywheel? :-)

Thats quite common with long work pieces. About 25% of the lathes I
service are used with long work, such as pipe.

I use to turn 35 foot SS forgings. 48" four jaw chuck. Two center
rests if I recall right. Tolerance was 0/+.250. Yep, fine tuned
with a hammer.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the